Our Advertisers Help Support The Newberg Report Adams & Company Real Estate - Exceptional Properities of North Texas   

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Draft

MVP

The Draft

Wow, I haven't posted anything in a long time. I think the cowboys will look to trade down but not far. I think they Target the Bengals #17 or #21. They get a 2nd to move to 21 but I think they would rather take a 3rd to move down three spots.

My thoughts:

1 * OLB Whitney Mercilus Illinois OLB Courtney Upshaw OLB Melvin Ingram
    2 DE Jared Crick Nebraska
    3 CB Casey Hayward Vanderbilt
    3a * OC Phillip Blake Baylor
    4 TE Michael Egnew Missouri
    4a WR Ryan Broyles Oklahoma
    5 FS Aaron Henry Wisconsin
    6 MLB / RB / CB
    7 DL / OL

BREAKDOWN:

1. MERCILUS: OLB is a need. I don't believe the cowboys have any intention of giving Spencer a long term deal, partially because he isn't expected to get better and they can probably do as well with someone out of the draft. I love Mercilus but he doesn't have a lot of starting experience. I like Upshaw but I think he will be a Spencer clone so I role the dice on Mercilus.

2. CRICK: I love this guy. He is starting caliber, may make it to them in the 2nd. Before the season he was projected first round. He would immediately step into the rotation and set them up next year with Crick on one side and Lissemore on the other.

3. HAYWARD: Nice pickup in the third. Solid slot corner, could be more. I like Minnefield too but the Cowboys brought this guy in.

3 (a). BLAKE: With the pick they receive in trade they pick up there starting Center. Blake starts with Nagy behind him and Costa moves to swing guard. Incidentally I don't see Arkin as a failure and think he will push for a starting spot at Guard this year or next.

4. EGNEW: They need a TE. There is nothing I like after the first 4 or 5 and this is the last one on the list. May not be here though.

4. BROYLES: Some say as high as 3rd rounder, some say he is a 5th. I think his surgery and his lack of true speed will hurt his stock but I think he has nice potential in the slot. I could also see the Cowboys using this pick on WR Fuller from A&M.

5. HENRY: I think Henry falls from what I think is 3rd round talent. I really like this kid and this would be a steal. If no safeties were available and the RB Ganaway from Baylor or LB Carder from TCU were still on the board I would snap them up.

MARK BARRON: I would be shocked. He is an in the box safety and over the last 4-5 years the Cowboys have repeatedly stated they want safeties that can cover and play both free/strong. I support that idea. They need a ball hawk if they are going to take one this high.

DONTARIO POE: I would be beyond shocked. He has huge bust written all over him. Great numbers but what little I saw him play, he was a non-issue. His team was horrible against the run in a weak league. No thank you.

DRE KIRKPATRICK: I was very high on him until they signed Carr. CB is still a need but I don't know if they go first round with it. I would not be upset with this pick though.
    Beau

Great stuff, I agree on a lot of this like CB and Slot WR in the 3rd and 4th but I think the CB will be the 4th Corner rather than the slot guy and in one or both of these picks they will take a guy with return ability. I would take Brandon Boykin in the 3rd because he gives you a similar skill set but some upside and the return ability. I'm cool with Broyles in the 4th but could see them taking a speed WR like Joe Adams or TY Hilton there also to add to the return game.

Agree on TE in the 4th or 5th but I think if they aren't really sold on the guy they will pass on drafting a TE (sending the message board through the roof) and sign a Veteran like Leonard Pope.

Totally agree on Poe and Crick. Also on C Blake but I could see them taking Konz in the 2nd if he is available. I think its a lock that the team will pick one of Konz or Blake and may take C Quinten Saulsberry in the 5th or 6th even if they take one of the others earlier.

For the 1st Rounder, I would take DE Fletcher Lee and then target Konz or an OG in the second, but in general I think DE and C are the targets for the first two rounds. I could see them taking an OLB like Mercilus but Barron wouldn't surprise me. I didn't see a lot of college ball this year but have read Barron was their field general making all the adjustments and a lot of people see him as being worthy of that pick at 14. I think a lot of scouts consider him to be more than an In The Box type.

My preference for the first round would probably be Lee, then Decastro, then Barron. If they go defense in the 1st I think the 2nd round pick will be a C or OG and vice versa, taking Decastro in the first would mean they target a guy like Crick (who I love also) in the 2nd.

Then in the 5 round onward take a S, a project RT and a gamble on a ILB with upside. Trading down is always a target of opportunity of course but right now I see the picks like this -

1st & 2nd - O Lineman and DE
    3rd & 4th - CB, WR and TE
    5th on - S, RT, ILB, CB

MVP
    I assume you mean Fletcher Cox not Lee. I like him too, but I feel 1st round should always be spent on a playmaker and DE in a 3-4 is rarely a play maker. I wouldn't be upset with the pick if they traded down to 21 and took him but if they took him as high as 14 I would be.

I would love a CB with return ability and I do think he would be the 4th CB this year but I am not convinced they will resign Jenkins unless he has a very solid year. So whoever they pick needs to be able to play the slot eventually. For what its worth I actually like Jenkins quite a bit.

I believe DeCastro will be available at 14 and I think we trade down with Cincy because of it. They want him bad. We send them #14 and we get #17, their third, and one of their two different 5th rounders as well.

I would love Konz but I think he comes off the board in the early 2nd.

If could see them trading down to Cincy at 21 and picking up another 2nd and getting this:

1. Mark Barron SS
    2. Vinny Curry OLB - who ran much faster at his pro day then at the combine
    2. Jared Crick DE
    3. Phillip Blake OC
    4. Jayron Hosley CB
    4. Micheal Egnew TE
    5. Jeff Fuller WR

Quote Originally Posted by texdrake View Post
    I assume you mean Fletcher Cox not Lee.
    No, I say that because Fletcher Cox is the Bruce Lee of Defensive Ends. j/k...

I know your point but I think the idea of 3-4 Ends only absorbing blockers can be a self fulfilling prophecy at times. If you plug in a Calais Campbell on this team you would have a playmaker there and not a guy that just takes on 2 gaps. Not that Cox = Campbell but if he is as good as some project you suddenly have 3 real passrushers on the field where you basically had 1 last year when were mostly playing guys like Coleman and Spears that mostly run blocking guys. Agree that Lissimore will improve and Hatcher has legitimately broken out, but I do think a 3 down superior talent at DE will make a significant impact beyond just a guy playing 5 technique.

I'm not in love with Cox but I do think it will be Cox, Decastro or Baron - or definitely a trade down. Also glad you are safely back from the Stans.

By coincidence there is an article on Fletcher Cox on DC.com today, it addresses this point about not spending top picks on a 3-4 DE. They make a good point, one of the players Dallas considered last year with its pick was JJ Watt, who would have made an impact as a 3-4 DE had he been the pick.

MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaisersoze View Post
    By coincidence there is an article on Fletcher Cox on DC.com today, it addresses this point about not spending top picks on a 3-4 DE. They make a good point, one of the players Dallas considered last year with its pick was JJ Watt, who would have made an impact as a 3-4 DE had he been the pick.
    I will check that article out. I would love a play maker at end. Cox wouldn't upset me at all. Poe would upset me, as would any offensive lineman would at this point as well (However I think DeCastro is worthy of the pick).

If Mark Barron could be Polamalu or Reed than I would be very happy. I however feel he is more Laron Landry. Nice but not a game changer. Time will see. My money is on DE or OLB unless they trade down. I don't see anyone taking Barron before Cincy at 21. I think he is a value at 21 plus a 2nd rounder but at 14 by himself I think he is a little bit of a reach.

Thank you by the way. I have been back for some time now. Actually will be moving back to the states in about 5 months (I live in Germany). Can't wait to see some live Baseball. I haven't been on the site much due to the spending so much time traveling and working. Things are starting slow down now though.

Glad you are safe. This will be a fun draft to watch, I haven't had the time to dig down on players the last couple of years but this one is fascinating.

With draft getting closer, I'm thinking we have a good handle on the 1st round and the 3rd and 4th, but I have no clue about the second round pick.

In the first, I really think it will be Cox (if he falls), Baron or DeCastro and that would be my order of preference. Outside chance of a LB like Baron or Mericilus but I really think it will be one of those first three or a trade down.

In the second, I think it will be partly driven by who they get in the first but it could be one of a dozen guys IMO. It could be a C or G, one of several CBs, one of several DEs or one of several TE's. That is the pick I keep going back to and the more I look at it the further I get from deciding what I think will happen.

I still think the 3rd and 4th rounds bring a Center, a WR and a TE (if we didn't take one in the 2nd). I think they take Jones or Blake in this area, plus a speed WR (hopefully with return ability) like Broyles, Hilton or Adams and one of the TE's.

After that I think they take some projects, with one of them being a ROT and maybe an ILB. Really looking forward to this draft but I really have no idea what happens with that second round pick.

MVP
    Only a few days away. I still don't see them drafting Barron. I think he is a great player but not a great fit for the Cowboys. I love Cox but I don't think he is going to be there at 14. I still think they trade down, but maybe with the Chargers rather then the Bengals for an extra 3rd rounder. My guess:

1 * DE/DT Michael Brockers (at pick 18)
    2 OLB Dont'a Hightower (who slides, cowboys play him at OLB instead of MLB)
    6 MLB / RB / CB
    7 OL Ronald Leary Memphis

For what its worth, I still love Crick, Curry, Mercelius, and Tank Carder but that doesn't mean the cowboys do

Quote Originally Posted by texdrake View Post
    Only a few days away. I still don't see them drafting Barron. I think he is a great player but not a great fit for the Cowboys. I love Cox but I don't think he is going to be there at 14. I still think they trade down, but maybe with the Chargers rather then the Bengals for an extra 3rd rounder. My guess:

1 * DE/DT Michael Brockers (at pick 18)
    2 OLB Dont'a Hightower (who slides, cowboys play him at OLB instead of MLB)
    6 MLB / RB / CB
    7 OL Ronald Leary Memphis

For what its worth, I still love Crick, Curry, Mercelius, and Tank Carder but that doesn't mean the cowboys do

I would totally be cool with that draft but I'm still agnostic on Brockers. I would take Jones of Georgia over Blake too but I defer to the scouts obviously. I would still go Cox, then Barron, then Decastro also but if we trade down I'm starting to like the idea of taking Cordy Glenn and playing him at Center.

And I still have no clue who I want in the 2nd Round but do agree on C, WR and TE in the middle rounds.