Our Advertisers Help Support The Newberg Report Adams & Company Real Estate - Exceptional Properities of North Texas   

Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Jairo Beras

GM
    Seems like it should be an open and shut case. If he's 17 and didn't know it then he should be a Ranger. Why should the Rangers have to announce it to the whole league. They did the work and should be the team that benefits from it. If he's 17 and lied about his age on purpose, which why would he lie it would only cost him money, then he should get a one year suspension. If he's 16, well, what are the chances of him actually being 16 with everything that's going on?
    Buy a shirt and help support my wife and I as we adopt our daughter Lily Grace! www.adoptionbug.com/lilygrace/

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundalis View Post
    Is JD an idiot then for stating that he's so confident that the signing will stand if it's proven he is 17? I would expect JD to have all the information you just stated at a minimum. If it was as clear cut as you just stated, why would JD not be clued in on it? He should know far more about the situation than a random fan.
    I'm not saying JD is an idiot at all. He has, once again, outworked the opposition to put the Rangers in a position to get a highly coveted talent. The problem is that his hard, smart work has been outlawed by MLB. The commish works for the big market clubs, and they are sick and tired of seeing JD outwork and outsmart them. The Beras "signing" will be the first test of MLB's seriousness in applying the new anti-Ranger rules when it comes to L.A. activity.

Quote Originally Posted by BattleshipTx View Post
    I still don't see how there are any grounds to punish the Rangers. First, nobody has even at this date ruled him not to be eligible. He meets the published criteria. If MLB does, in the future (after this exhaustive review) rule him ineligible, he wasn't ruled so at the date the Rangers signed him.

As far as every buscon scheming, you mean they weren't already? Unfortunately for them, almost all of them are really 16 not 17. If they can prove, as Beras can, that they really are 17, why can't they sign with the 17 year olds? The Rangers appear to have indisputable proof that Beras is 17. How will any of those others come up with such proof, no matter how much they scheme?
    I have seen the Rangers punished for no reason in the past. We once had our All-Star shortstop thrown out of a game for running away from an umpire in "an intimidating manner" at the end of an inning. I have seen us get a first baseman tossed because he kept the ball from the last out of an inning. I saw the commissioner of baseball declare a rain-out on a clear night just so the Cardinals could have C. Carpenter pitch in Game 7 of the World Series with Jerry Lane umpiring behind the plate. Learn it: MLB does not need a reason to punish the Texas Rangers.

As for how the buscones, agents, players, and clubs will circumvent the cap, I'm thinking we'll start to see extra "facilitating" payments made to buscones apart from the official signing bonuses. We might see clubs start aligning themselves with certain buscones to share the up front costs that they have been shouldering up to now. They will do whatever it takes to keep the money flowing in exchange for young talent.

The Beras affair should be the last He-aint-heavy-he's-my-17-year-old-prospect fiasco. That is unless JD has yet another trick up his sleeve.
    When a team is at the bottom, the problem is usually at the top.

Starting Rotation
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyt12 View Post
    Seems like it should be an open and shut case. If he's 17 and didn't know it then he should be a Ranger. Why should the Rangers have to announce it to the whole league. They did the work and should be the team that benefits from it. If he's 17 and lied about his age on purpose, which why would he lie it would only cost him money, then he should get a one year suspension. If he's 16, well, what are the chances of him actually being 16 with everything that's going on?
    If there is no MLB law/rule that clubs must share information over potential international prospects (which I am 100% sure that there is not), then once again the Rangers did nothing wrong. In the end no matter how you argue it, the signing shouldn't be overturned. From everything I have read it is too easy to argue on the side of the Rangers to put Beras back up on the bidding block for any amount of time or to terminate the contract with the Rangers. I feel this is just a dog and pony show for the rest of the clubs.

Word is Beras was seen in Arlington yesterday. But he was quickly whisked away on a black helicopter.
    "The Bill of Rights, jazz music and baseball...That's all we'll be remembered for anyway."

Starting Rotation
    Quote Originally Posted by Tythelip View Post
    I'm not saying JD is an idiot at all. He has, once again, outworked the opposition to put the Rangers in a position to get a highly coveted talent. The problem is that his hard, smart work has been outlawed by MLB. The commish works for the big market clubs, and they are sick and tired of seeing JD outwork and outsmart them. The Beras "signing" will be the first test of MLB's seriousness in applying the new anti-Ranger rules when it comes to L.A. activity.
    Actually you kind of are saying that. You are acting like JD is completely ignorant to the, according to you, well known fact that MLB would never allow such a breach of their rules to go through. If JD were smart, he would never have made the deal in the first place, risking potential backlash from MLB that could hamper their LA work, in which the Rangers have invested significant resources, not the mention coming out recently professing his confidence in the deal going through. If it is so obvious that MLB would never allow such a deal to go through, and that they are likely deal out punishment to those involved, then it's actually quite a stupid move made by the FO.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundalis View Post
    Actually you kind of are saying that. You are acting like JD is completely ignorant to the, according to you, well known fact that MLB would never allow such a breach of their rules to go through. If JD were smart, he would never have made the deal in the first place, risking potential backlash from MLB that could hamper their LA work, in which the Rangers have invested significant resources, not the mention coming out recently professing his confidence in the deal going through. If it is so obvious that MLB would never allow such a deal to go through, and that they are likely deal out punishment to those involved, then it's actually quite a stupid move made by the FO.
    Actually, I'm absolutely not saying JD is anything but super smart. The ink is still wet on the new anti-Ranger rule. Nobody knows how the commish's office is going to react to a 16/17 situation like Beras'. JD has made a very shrewd move consistent with his actions to date. He worked to get more information than any other team so that he could make a coup of a move by signing a player eligible under the "old" rules.
    Every move the Rangers make comes with risk. We stuck with a field manager who tested positive for cocaine. Don't you think MLB would prefer if they never had to see Wash in a uniform again? We're catering to the poster child of alcohol and drug suspensions. We have been owning the league that has been ordained property of the Yankees and Red Sox.
    I'm basing what I'm saying about what the commish will do based on his past decisions and attitudes toward us. JD is saying exactly what he should be saying. The young man is 17; he is eligible to be signed to a professional contract under the rules that existed on 2 July 2011. The actions of JD and the Rangers on this issue this have been brilliant, and they have severely embarrassed MLB and their new scheme to beat us back down to AAAA status.
    I'm saying that MLB will not approve the contract, and they will punish the Rangers for making the move. That's not JD's fault. He's going up against a corrupt organization that makes up the rules as the game goes along.

Black helicopters piloted by Freemasons.

GM
    Nothing covert or secret about how Bud has reacted to us. His public message to Nolan, JD, and us: I make the rules. I don't like you. Deal with it.

Bullpen Coach
    Those were not freemasons they were illuminati and it was anti grav craft from Area 51. The truth is out there Bud

Starting Rotation
    Quote Originally Posted by Tythelip View Post
    Actually, I'm absolutely not saying JD is anything but super smart. The ink is still wet on the new anti-Ranger rule. Nobody knows how the commish's office is going to react to a 16/17 situation like Beras'. JD has made a very shrewd move consistent with his actions to date. He worked to get more information than any other team so that he could make a coup of a move by signing a player eligible under the "old" rules.
    Every move the Rangers make comes with risk. We stuck with a field manager who tested positive for cocaine. Don't you think MLB would prefer if they never had to see Wash in a uniform again? We're catering to the poster child of alcohol and drug suspensions. We have been owning the league that has been ordained property of the Yankees and Red Sox.
    I'm basing what I'm saying about what the commish will do based on his past decisions and attitudes toward us. JD is saying exactly what he should be saying. The young man is 17; he is eligible to be signed to a professional contract under the rules that existed on 2 July 2011. The actions of JD and the Rangers on this issue this have been brilliant, and they have severely embarrassed MLB and their new scheme to beat us back down to AAAA status.
    I'm saying that MLB will not approve the contract, and they will punish the Rangers for making the move. That's not JD's fault. He's going up against a corrupt organization that makes up the rules as the game goes along.
    Everything in your post is contradictory. First you say that no one knows how MLB will react, but you've been adamant in your stance that you do, in fact know how they will react. You say JD is super smart, but apparently he's unaware that it's pretty much guaranteed that MLB will reject the contract and punish the Rangers.

I'm sorry but JD did NOT make the right move in signing the kid if he knows MLB will reject the contract and will have heat blowback on the club. It's not JD's job to be some moral arbiter and make decisions with that kind of compass. He's there to do what's best for the club. It doesn't matter whether he is in the right or not, nor how corrupt MLB is, if he knows they won't approve it and that they will punish the Rangers for doing so, then it was a bad decision to submit the contract. Plain and simple. The decision ends up hurting the Rangers, and that's what the focus should be. The end result. I expect JD and in fact the whole FO to have that kind of foresight.

Again, JD has come out with confidence that the kid should be signed should it be proven that he's 17. I fully expect that you don't know more about the situation and what MLB is likely to do than he does. If he believes the kid is likely to gain approval to sign, I expect he has it under good authority that is likely to be the case. I don't think JD is the BS, bluffing type of GM.
    Last edited by Dundalis; 05-01-2012 at 10:04 AM.