Our Advertisers Help Support The Newberg Report Adams & Company Real Estate - Exceptional Properities of North Texas   

Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MOnkeypox View Post
    See, you don't wanna start bringing up guys or trying to figure out where they fit on the big league roster until they've learned things like this.
    I think the Rangers should send Josey Wales out to scout him.

The Rangers are generally acknowledged to be the best team in the majors right now, even if they don't have the best record in baseball. Texas also ranked as Baseball America's No. 1 farm system heading into the season, and there is little that has happened in the early going to change that assessment.

No. 1 on the Rangers' prospect list coming into the season was shortstop Jurickson Profar. With the top four prospects on our Preseason Top 100 now in the majors, Profar, ranked No. 7 on the preseason Top 100, is in the conversation for the best prospect currently in the minors. Double-A Frisco's shortstop extended his hitting streak to 25 games with a 3-for-5 night against Midland. Profar also stole his sixth bag of the season in six tries.

While Profar was extending his hitting streak, Frisco starter Barrett Loux improved to 8-0 in eight starts this year. While wins are not the most useful stat to measure a pitcher's success, Loux's eight wins have been largely deserved. He hasn't allowed more than three runs in any start and currently has a 2.70 ERA.

But most importantly considering his backstory, he's made every one of his eight scheduled starts. As many prospect followers know, Loux's medical history made him one of the most unusual draft picks in recent years. The No. 6 pick overall in the 2010 draft, Loux failed his physical with the Diamondbacks as they had concerns about his shoulder and elbow. With the Diamondbacks not offering him a contract, Major League Baseball ended up declaring Loux a free agent (while granting the Diamondbacks a compensatory first-round pick in the 2011 draft). The Rangers signed him for $312,000, and up to now, he's proven durable.

Texas did shut Loux down in August last year, but that came after he made 21 starts and threw 109 innings. He's made all eight starts this year as well. While there are some scouts who see him as a reliever in the big leagues, he's shown up to now that he can handle a starting job.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/...treak-hits-25/

--Comment From Brian
    Who are your 3 or 4 favorite prospects, regardless of level?

Mike Newman: My four favorites I've seen in person right now are Profar, Bundy, Danny Hultzen and Xander Bogaerts.. I mostly deal only with guys I've seen in person or spoken to contacts about.

--Comment From jon
    Profar had a bit of adjustment at AA but now sporting a .290/.340/.500 line. Has he distinguished himself as the hands-down #1 hitting prospect in the minors?

Mike Newman: Profar is awesome. I don't know what more there is to say. If you asked me to start an organization with one minor league prospect, i'm 80% sure it would be him. With Bundy floating out there, I'd probably be forced to sleep on it though.

--Comment From Martin Perez
    Will I ever figure out how to command my nasty stuff and become a legitimate MLB starter?

Mike Newman: He's kind of limping along, but still only 21. It's damn hard to excel through the minor leagues and surface as a quality starter immediately. Perez should be a reminder of that even though prospect fans are becoming a bit too sour on him right now.

--Comment From Derek in Little Rock
    Robbie Erlin or Martin Perez?

Mike Newman: Perez better raw stuff, Erlin much better command. In the end, I'd be more confident throwing Erlin tomorrow at the MLB level.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...ts-chat-51712/

MiLB.com ‏@MinorLeagues
    Rangers top prospect Jurickson Profar triples in the 9th, extending his hitting streak to 28 games.

“Jurickson Profar Game Log” now at BA front page
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/stati...ards/92595/log

Starting Rotation
    If this continues for another month do they promote him to AAA?
    There are some guys that make it to the majors by luck, injury or just working hard and paying their dues.
    Then there are guys like this that force their way onto the roster.
    Remember when elvis was in his shoes and the knock on him was some said he wouldnt hit enough to stay in the majors? There is no knock on this kid, next year should be very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by obagain View Post
    If this continues for another month do they promote him to AAA?
    There are some guys that make it to the majors by luck, injury or just working hard and paying their dues.
    Then there are guys like this that force their way onto the roster.
    Remember when elvis was in his shoes and the knock on him was some said he wouldnt hit enough to stay in the majors? There is no knock on this kid, next year should be very interesting.
    Doubt it. Doesn't change his path at all to be in AA. He's not finished. He still has lapses defensively. He's 19.

Tell you this...he's an incredibly patient and selective hitter. The kid from SA had a no hitter going into the 8th last night. Part of the reason is, he wasn't giving Profar anything to hit. Profar walked once and really only saw 4 or 5 good strikes all night. Swung at 3 of them. Fly to CF, fly to RF and a triple to CF.

Triple was the first pitch he saw from the SA reliever.
    Last edited by 363dp; 05-19-2012 at 04:08 PM.
    "The Bill of Rights, jazz music and baseball...That's all we'll be remembered for anyway."

And the 19 YO SS extended his hit streak to 19 games last night with a 2-5 effort that included a double. He's now at .296/.354/.860 for the season. I really wish he would pick it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    And the 19 YO SS extended his hit streak to 19 games last night with a 2-5 effort that included a double. He's now at .296/.354/.860 for the season. I really wish he would pick it up.
    29.... Over half way to DiMaggio.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    And the true beauty of it is that despite that being a sensational line, as a 19 year old kid he should only develop more power as he matures physically. The Rangers might truly have one of those "special" players making his way up to The Show

The streak ends tonight.....0 - 3 and 1 BB