Our Advertisers Help Support The Newberg Report Adams & Company Real Estate - Exceptional Properities of North Texas    
Justin Grimm - The Newberg Report

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Justin Grimm

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Justin Grimm

One of our more unheralded draft picks from last year. He has impressive velocity and a nice curveball, and sadly, that's the extent of my knowledge about him. Any help?

Anyway, he dominated in his outing today

4 IP | 1 H | 0 R | 1 BB | 7 K. Sitting in the mid 90s

Great to see another young arm proving the scouting department right. They drafted him in the 5th round but gave him low first round money to sign.

Jason Cole said he was touching 97 in the spring, this is the scouting report conclusion Jason had:

Projection: Though he has well above-average stuff, Grimm posted just a 5.48 ERA during his three years of college due to inconsistent mechanics that led to spotty command of his entire arsenal. But many scouts believe the issues are correctable, and Grimm has already made some progress. His solid athleticism should help him repeat his mechanics down the line. Grimm’s future role should spark plenty of debate, but it’ll ultimately be decided by his ability to command the ball and mix in a usable changeup. He has the pure ceiling of a mid-rotation starter or late-inning reliever. And while there’s still plenty of work to be done, he is off to a good start.

Comment

4.0IP 2H 2R 1ER 3BB 5K 1HR ERA 1.93

a little news of him after his last game:
      Looking for a word to best describe Justin Grimm’s debut as a professional baseball player?

Great would probably do.

The former Virginia High star was dominant on Sunday in his first start for the Low-Class A Hickory (N.C.) Crawdads. Grimm had to settle for a no-decision as Hickory eventually suffered a 3-2 South Atlantic League loss to the Asheville Tourists in the second game of a doubleheader.

“It was a really good start for him on the season,” Hickory manager Bill Richardson told the Hickory Daily Record. “It was kind of what we expected and saw in the spring and he gave it to us. You just hate to ruin a good pitching performance like that, but that’s how the game goes.”

Grimm’s final line: 5 1/3 innings pitched, two hits, two runs (one earned), one walk, eight strikeouts.

“I was glad to get it over with,” Grimm told the Hickory newspaper. “I was jittery a bit at first, but I’ve been reading a lot. I’ve been told that pressure can make you 50 percent better and 50 percent worse depending on how you go about it.”

http://www2.tricities.com/sports/201...but-ar-966218/

Comment

scottrlucas
        Hickory's Justin Grimm fans 8, walks 2 in 5.2 innings. 88 pitches, 61 strikes. 1 bequeathed runner scored. Jurickson Profar 2-2 with 3rd SB.

Justin Grimm struck out 7 of first 11 he's faced in 3 innings

Comment

Friggin stellar game

7 IP | 4 H | 2 R | 2 ER | 0 BB | 11 K

Comment

Five games into his professional baseball career, things couldn't get much better for Justin Grimm.

The former Virginia High star picked up his second victory of the season Sunday for the Hickory (N.C.) Crawdads with seven impressive innings against the Kannapolis Intimidators. The rookie right-hander allowed two runs on four hits, did not issue a walk and registered 11 strikeouts.

"I just went out there and got a lot of first pitch strikes and was able to allow myself to pitch a little bit more," Grimm told the Hickory Daily Record. "I kept them off balance all day really with a two-pitch mix. ... I just used a fastball and a slider and was able to get both of those in. I was able to use the slider on the first pitch as well as behind [in] the count."

Grimm currently ranks second in the South Atlantic League in strikeouts (37), ninth in ERA (2.89) and 13th in innings pitched (28), while also sporting a 2-0 record over five starts.

"He just keeps getting better with each outing," Hickory manager Bill Richardson told the Hickory newspaper. "He's eliminating the walks and working both sides of the plate and doing a good job."

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/yb/158786305

Comment

7 ip, 6 h, 0 er, 0 r, 1 bb, 5 k; groundouts-flyouts: 8-3

Comment

JeffWilson_FWST Jeff Wilson

#Rangers promote Robbie Erlin from Myrtle Beach to Frisco. He'll start Sunday. Justin Grimm from Hickory to Myrtle Beach.

Comment

Justin Grimm moves up to Class A: He makes Bristol proud

Bristol native, Justin Grimm, is doing very well in the Texas Rangers program, making his home town proud. Just last night, Justin's coaches called him to the office to tell him that he was being promoted to the Myrtle Beach Pelicans, the Class A Advanced Affiliate of the Texas Rangers. They are a member of the Carolina League. Currently, the Pelicans are in 1st place in the Southern Division.

Justin doesn't know when he will pitch or where he will be in the rotation. The Myrtle Beach Pelicans began a home series tonight against the Wilmington (Delaware) Blue Rocks. They will face the Lynchburg Hillcats in Lynchburg, VA June 3rd, 4th, and 5th. Also, they will face the Salem Red Sox June 26th, 27th, and 28th. (We don't know if Justin will pitch in any of these games.)

Justin and the mascot, Conrad, appeared on NBC's Charlotte Today Show this past Wednesday. They had a lot of fun dunking people in a dunk tank. You can watch the fun in the video clip to the left of this article.

http://www.examiner.com/celebrity-he...-bristol-proud

Comment

Really, really, really good High-A debut. Damn

6 IP | 3 H | 1 ER | 1 BB | 5 K | 11-1 GO-AO

Comment

Grimm, who was called up from Low-A Hickory this week to replace promoted ace Robbie Erlin, was playing Little League ball the last time the Pelicans swept a home series from the Blue Rocks.

Unaware of the streak and unfazed by batters at the next level, Grimm (1-0) plowed through the Red Sox lineup to the tune of three hits and five strikeouts over six innings of work in his debut at BB&T Coastal Field.

"I was a little nervous, mainly just getting used to a new team and new surroundings," Grimm said. "I'm obviously happy with the result, but there are definitely some things I've got to work on before my next start."

The 22-year-old right-hander was pitching for the University of Georgia at this time last year before he was selected by the Texas Rangers in the fifth round of the June draft. He was a solid 2-1 with a 3.40 ERA with the Crawdads before getting the call on Thursday.

The Pelicans used Grimm to fill the gap left by Erlin, who was 3-2 with a 2.14 ERA with Myrtle Beach before moving up to Double-A Frisco. Grimm filled in admirably for his first time on Sunday.

"The guys have been really great to me but they've also been teasing me saying I've got big shoes to fill, and I do," Grimm said. "Erlin is a great pitcher and he put in the work to be successful and this level and move up. That's what I want to do."

Grimm gave up a run in the first inning but quickly settled down, and he also got lots of run support from his welcoming teammates. This time it was the bottom of the order doing the bulk of the damage, with the 7-8-9 hitters going a combined 5-for-12 with eight RBIs and three runs scored.

http://www.thesunnews.com/2011/05/30...ns-to-win.html

Comment

Pelicanbaseball
                        Justin Grimm with another excellent outing in his 2nd Pelicans start...6.2 IP 6 H 1 R 2 BB 6 K incl. 4 straight K's to end his night

Comment

Undoubtedly, the Texas Rangers have an embarrassment of riches in their farm system. Soon after the parent club promoted Robbie Erlin, the No. 4 prospect in the organization, from Myrtle Beach to Double-A Frisco, the Rangers plugged Justin Grimm into the rotation. The Pelicans have hardly missed the electric Erlin. Grimm has made two starts since joining the team and won both, including a strong outing in the Pelicans’ 4-1 win over the Hillcats at City Stadium Friday night.

Grimm’s second start, a 6 2/3-inning, six-hit, one earned run performance, came in front of family members. His mom and sister made the trip over from Bristol, where he played his high school baseball. After a strong senior season at Virginia High, the Boston Red Sox picked him in the 13th round of the 2007 draft.

Grimm said he wasn’t physically or emotionally ready to start a professional career, so he chose instead to go to the University of Georgia. After three years in Athens, it looked like a disastrous decision. He posted a career ERA of 5.84 in three seasons as a Bulldog. That didn’t sway pro scouts, though.

"They see potential, that’s all they look at," Grimm said. "Obviously, if your numbers are good, you help yourself out. But you’ve just got to not worry about stuff like that. You know what you’ve got, and you take advantage of it and work on it every day."

The Rangers drafted Grimm in the fifth round last June, and he spent the rest of the summer negotiating a signing bonus. Texas paid him $825,000, but he signed too late to play in anything but instructional ball.

Grimm moved quickly up from Low-A Hickory, where he posted a 2-1 record and a 3.40 ERA. His most impressive start came on May 1 against Kannapolis, when he struck out 11 Intimidators in a 4-3 victory.

The Hillcats got a good feel for Grimm’s stuff Friday night. Playing in special black Braves jerseys that were later auctioned off, Lynchburg couldn’t get anything going against the 6-foot-3 right-hander, who throws a 92-96 mph fastball complemented by a sharp overhand curveball that sits at 82-83 mph. The biggest key to his development is his changeup, and once he got that working in the later innings, Grimm was untouchable. He struck out the final four batters he faced. Limited to 100 pitches, he came out with two outs in the seventh after throwing 98 pitches.

"I heard it for three years at Georgia," Grimm said. "Changeup’s huge. Changeup’s huge. I guess I never really bought into it. I can only blame myself for that. I guess when you’re getting paid to play baseball, it’s a little different. I was like, ‘all right, I’ll buy into it.’"

The Hillcats threatened in the fourth and fifth innings. In the fourth, Adam Milligan singled and moved to third on a Joey Terdoslavich double. But Grimm locked down the next three batters, retiring Barrett Kleinknecht, Keenan Wiley and Braeden Schlehuber in order. With the bases loaded and two outs in the fifth, Grimm got Kleinknecht to hit into an inning-ending fielder’s choice.

"After that, he was lights out," Hillcats manager Luis Salazar said.

http://www2.nelsoncountytimes.com/sp...gr-ar-1084784/

Comment

...time to move him up to AA

Comment

Originally posted by mingjungtc View Post

"After that, he was lights out," Hillcats manager Luis Salazar said.

http://www2.nelsoncountytimes.com/sp...gr-ar-1084784/
                              if anyone should recognize "lights out", it would be Luis Salazar.
                              "The Bill of Rights, jazz music and baseball...That's all we'll be remembered for anyway."

Comment

Working...
                              X