Our Advertisers Help Support The Newberg Report Adams & Company Real Estate - Exceptional Properities of North Texas    
Mike Olt! - The Newberg Report

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mike Olt!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Olt!

Yep. Mike Olt gets an exclamation point. Take that KS! Rangers supplemental pick in last years draft. Dude came to spring training this year in great shape apparently and killed the ball and impressed Jason Parks enough to say that Olt is the top hitting prospect in this system. He still has some holes in his swing, but the power plate discipline, and glove are both definitely plus (power: 65, glove: 65, maybe 70) and the hit tool should get advanced enough to let the power play

Anyway, Olt had a fantastic opening game in Myrtle Beach today

Olt: 3-3, 2B, BB

Originally posted by MonkeyEpoxy View Post
    Yep. Mike Olt gets an exclamation point. Take that KS!
    When did I say anything negative about Mike Olt? We have a wager (sorta) on Mendonca breaking out in AA, but did we ever say/wager anything about Olt?

Comment

well played, mauer

Comment

Ohhhh... I thought this thread was about Travis Metcalf.

Comment

Originally posted by bblackburn35 View Post
          Ohhhh... I thought this thread was about Travis Metcalf.
          Metcalf could still make it!!

If you are mocking me, I accept your mock and humbly submit. Metcalf showed flashes in his brief Rangers stint, I really thought the guy would do something but was obviously totally wrong.

Comment

I don't think metcalf ever made adjustments to his hit tool so his prodigious power never played. Olt came to spring already having cut down on some of the holes in his swing

Comment

Originally posted by Kaisersoze View Post
              Metcalf could still make it!!

If you are mocking me, I accept your mock and humbly submit. Metcalf showed flashes in his brief Rangers stint, I really thought the guy would do something but was obviously totally wrong.
              Oh, no i wasn't mocking anyone... just making light of the fact that many of those "Future 3B of the Texas Rangers" got a bit convoluted after a large group of them failed to live up to their promise. Metcalf, Whittleman and the likes.

Comment

Originally posted by bblackburn35 View Post
                Oh, no i wasn't mocking anyone... just making light of the fact that many of those "Future 3B of the Texas Rangers" got a bit convoluted after a large group of them failed to live up to their promise. Metcalf, Whittleman and the likes.
                I was the loudest (= only) proponent of Metcalf here and got ragged for it deservedly, so I assumed it was part of that. He showed flashes when he came up to the majors but never got consistent playing time, I really thought he would do something if he got the reps to settle in. I whiffed on him, but I think I was right on the forum fights about guys like Borbon, Andrus, Harrison, etc on the upside (where is Silence with his "Harrison simply isn't a major league pitcher" stuff?) and guys like Gerald Laird and Omar Poveda on the downside.

Comment

Professor Parks On Mike Olt

Unfortunately, the No. 49 pick isn't technically in the second round, so the second-round curse lives:

On defense, Olt is above-average, with shortstop-like actions at 3B, with soft hands, a very good backhand pickup, clean transfers, and a very strong arm. Without hesitation, I’d put a 6 on his glove, and it might even grade out higher. Olt can field. He made a few difficult plays look routine, and a few routine plays look more difficult than necessary, but defensive efficiency will develop with repetition. Olt has the necessary tools to become a well above-average defender at 3B, and with his power potential and bat speed at the plate, the chance to become an above-average all-around major league player. It’s still early, but Olt looks like a bargain pick as the 49th overall selection in 2010, and a player that has the talent to become a top 100 prospect in baseball after the season.

http://www.bbtia.com/the-clubhouse/2...-mike-olt.html

Comment

1-3, HR, 2 BB, 3 RBI. Woulda had two dongs, but the wind killed it

They finished the game today or something. I don't really know what happened - but Olt got another walk and a new MB game is starting
                    Last edited by MonkeyEpoxy; 04-10-2011, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Mendonca has been playing well, but Olt is giving no quarter

1-2, 2B, 2 BB today. Batting something like .625/.769/1.250
                      Last edited by MonkeyEpoxy; 04-11-2011, 12:11 AM.

Comment

From BA:

TEX HiA Olt, Mike 3B 4 1 2 2 .583 HR (2); It's one week, but .583 is insane

Comment

3-3, 2B, 2 BB. He's on fire. mOlten if you will

His line in 7 games is freaking ridiculous

.478/.613/.913

Comment

Mike Olt drove in two runs to lift the birds to a 4-3 win over Frederick in the series opener on Tuesday. Myrtle Beach is now 3-1 on the season.
                            Mike Olt started the scoring for the Pelicans with an RBI-single in the fourth inning. Outfielder Jared Bolden and Strausborger both picked up RBI in the fifth inning and Olt hit his second home run of the season to cap the Pelicans scoring.

Q&A: Mike Olt

M: Who would you compare your game to right now?

Olt: I would say I compare myself to maybe an Evan Longoria – defensively. Offensively, he has a different stance than me, but I like to have the same approach as him. Stay up the middle, opposite side of the field. Turn on a couple of pitches.

M: Any of the guys on the Major League side you tried and pick their brains? Adrian Beltre? Michael Young? Any of those guys?

Olt: I didn’t see much of Beltre. Michael Young, I didn’t really talk with him that much. There are a bunch of guys on the team that I was able to talk to, see what their approaches are, see what their game is before, see what their routine is and it was good to see how they went about their business; because that is the way I want to go about my business. Learn from them. It’s going to help me out through the season.

http://7traintoshea.com/?p=5163

Comment

Stupid computer! anyway Olt 1 for 5 but 2R and 2RBI

Comment

Working...
                              X