Shoutout to Jason Parks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoutout to Jason Parks

JP got a new gig with Baseball Prospectus if anyone missed the note in Jamey's email. Well deserved and I'll be signing up as a subscriber today!

Its also another reminder on the "Dinosaurs vs Mammals" discussion. Parks is one of dozens of posters here that are head and shoulder above a lot of people who get paid to write about baseball. (and light years ahead of the Randy Galloway types).

Re: Shoutout to Jason Parks

Yep big props to the Professor. I'm probably going to get a BP subscription so I can read behind the pay wall, now. He also got invited to the DSL by a team he really wants to work for, so good luck to him on that front as well

Comment

Originally posted by Kaisersoze
      JP got a new gig with Baseball Prospectus if anyone missed the note in Jamey's email. Well deserved and I'll be signing up as a subscriber today!

Its also another reminder on the "Dinosaurs vs Mammals" discussion. Parks is one of dozens of posters here that are head and shoulder above a lot of people who get paid to write about baseball. (and light years ahead of the Randy Galloway types).
      Thanks, Kaiser! Hopefully I'll be able to provide Rangers coverage as well. Working on that arrangement as we speak.
      http://www.bbtia.com

Comment

Originally posted by JasonParks
        Originally posted by Kaisersoze

Thanks, Kaiser! Hopefully I'll be able to provide Rangers coverage as well. Working on that arrangement as we speak.
        Congrats, JP

Comment

Originally posted by JasonParks
          Hopefully I'll be able to provide Rangers coverage as well. Working on that arrangement as we speak.
          They had better or I'm canceling my subscription!

Comment

The day that Jason Parks left BBTiA is the day that I took up drinking again

Comment

Originally posted by bblackburn35
              The day that Jason Parks left BBTiA is the day that I took up drinking again
              The day I joined BBTiA is the day I took up drinking. The good news is, I love drinking.
              http://www.bbtia.com

Comment

Jason Parks is now Special Assistant to the President and General Manager of the Chicago Cubs.

Jason Parks has been promoted to Special Assistant to the President and General Manager. Parks joined the Cubs in 2014 from Baseball Prospectus and most recently served as a professional and amateur scout.

http://www.cubsinsider.com/2017/02/1...onnel-changes/
                Last edited by mingjungtc; 02-11-2017, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Wow! A big congratulations to Jason Parks. Laugh out loud funny that a few well known posters on here trashed the guy for liking Ron Guzman too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug View Post
                    Wow! A big congratulations to Jason Parks. Laugh out loud funny that a few well known posters on here trashed the guy for liking Ron Guzman too much.
                    JP is in the big time. That is really a remarkable achievement

Comment

Jason Parks @ProfessorParks
                      Earlier this week my brother Drew lost his battle w/ epilepsy. We are raising money in his name. His story: http://eftx.donordrive.com/index.cfm...cipantID=30578

Comment

Baseball's next Moneyball concept: turning internet writers into prospect scouts

“I had always wanted to get into scouting. I just didn’t know how,” Segui said. “I saw Parks had tweeted out, ‘Hey, looking for guys to write about prospects,’ and I had seen hundreds that year while doing my player development stuff and the fall league. I figured I was kind of free, and that this would be a good opportunity to get some scouting experience, just get my name out there.”

Though Parks (now with the Chicago Cubs as a special assistant to the GM/president) declined comment for this story, his supposed effect on prospect writing leaves him sounding like an outsized legend -- some kind of Johnny Applescout.

A conceptual art student in college, Parks took an interest in the Texas Rangers’ farm system while working at a New York-based advertising firm called Agent 16. Parks didn’t own a car, but three or four times a week he’d take buses to various minor-league games. At the appropriate times of the year, he’d use his sick days and vacation time to fly to Arizona, where he’d catch spring and instructional league action on the backfields. He’d take to writing on Baseball Time in Arlington, and would become a go-to resource for other prospect writers hoping to get the goods on Texas’ loaded system. Eventually, he made his way to Baseball Prospectus, where he co-hosted the Up and In podcast with Kevin Goldstein. Once Goldstein left for the Astros, Parks became BP’s lead prospect writer -- and that’s when things got interesting.

“Parks’ approach struck a chord with the readership because he really emphasized in-person views and the value that that provides,” said Craig Goldstein (no relation to Kevin), BP’s minor-league editor. “I think that was a shift. Even if you go back to Kevin Goldstein -- and this was all just strictly at BP -- but it’s kind of representative of the industry at large.”

Be it Parks’ prospect team invention, or through better use of technology -- Newman, for instance, claims to be the first person in the scouting section who he ever saw deploy a video camera. These days? YouTube hosts footage of most every big-name prospect -- just clicks away for anyone to access.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/ba...ospect-scouts/
                        Last edited by mingjungtc; 03-29-2017, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mingjungtc View Post
                          He’d take to writing on Baseball Time in Arlington, and would become a go-to resource for other prospect writers hoping to get the goods on Texas’ loaded system.
                          I love Parks and I'm really happy for his success, but that is very generous description of BBTiA.

Comment

Time to bump this thread from 2011, one of our Newberg Alumni Jason Parks was named Director of Pro Scouting today by the Diamondbacks. Proof that good things happen to good people (who work insanely hard) and that plenty of quality posters here know more than the JJ Taylors of the world. Congrats to Jason!

Comment

Originally posted by Kaisersoze View Post
                              Time to bump this thread from 2011, one of our Newberg Alumni Jason Parks was named Director of Pro Scouting today by the Diamondbacks. Proof that good things happen to good people (who work insanely hard) and that plenty of quality posters here know more than the JJ Taylors of the world. Congrats to Jason!
                              GM bound!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X