• Show
Clear All

BA 2017 Midseason Top 100 Prospects

No. Previous Player
    34 43 Leody Taveras OF Rangers

16 20 Lewis Brinson OF Brewers
    67 73 Luis Ortiz RHP Brewers
    81 32 Jorge Alfaro C Phillies

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2017-midseason-top-100-prospects-july-7/#Vpzy63wHgbfjM4dF.97

Comment

Keith Law came out with his mid season prospect ratings and rated Leody Taveras #24 in all of baseball.

Comment

BA: Rangers Midseason Top 10

1. Leody Taveras, CF
        2. Ronald Guzman, 1B
        3. Bubba Thompson, OF
        4. Yohander Mendez, LHP
        5. Cole Ragans, LHP
        6. Ariel Jurado, RHP
        7. Miguel Aparicio, OF
        8. Hans Crouse, RHP
        9. Josh Morgan, C/SS
        10. Joe Palumbo, LHP

As of now, however, the Rangers’ appear hesitant to move in that direction. A year ago, the Yankees were in a similar position, but they used the trade deadline to reload the system with Gleyber Torres, Clint Frazier, Justus Sheffield and Dillon Tate. It’s time for the Rangers to think along those lines.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minor...TbYJ3VkZOGR.97

Comment

“We’ve got some interesting guys that are doing OK and playing well. I’m really happy with them,” farm director Jayce Tingler said. “We had to take some lumps early. That was part of the deal. We took some weapons away, but we wanted to focus on some basic stuff. I’m looking at where we’re at now and am really thankful we went through that tough process.

The Rangers are also seeing improved play from top prospect Leody Taveras, a center fielder, for Hickory, which staggered to a 27-43 first-half mark. Along with Spokane, the Rangers’ short-season team, and Down East, which is 20-21, the Rangers might not be shut out of the postseason.

The last time they had a season with no affiliates in the postseason was 2006.

Also down on the farm:

Left-hander Yohander Mendez, the Rangers’ top pitching prospect, is on the disabled list at Double A Frisco with neck stiffness but is expected to return soon. The injury, albeit expected to only cost him one more start, could keep him from a late-season promotion to Triple A Round Rock.

Right-hander Alex Speas, the Rangers’ second-round pick in 2016, is working out of the bullpen at Spokane as the Rangers give him a chance to quickly apply things he is working on rather than keep him in the six-man rotation.

Chris Seise, the Rangers’ second first-round pick in the June draft, was promoted from the Arizona Rookie League to Spokane. The 18-year-old shortstop, selected 29th overall, batted .336 (39 for 116) with 11 extra-base hits in Arizona.

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/...165581427.html

Comment

what y'all think

1.Leody Taveras, CF
            2. Willie Calhoun OF/2B
            3.Cole Ragans, LHP
            4.Ronald Guzman, 1B
            5.Chris Seise SS
            6 Bubba Thompson, OF
            7.Hans Crouse, RHP
            8. Yohander Mendez, LHP
            9.Miguel Aparicio, OF
            10. Kyle Cody, SP
            I think I might be putting Aparicio on there a little to early but I really like him and AJ who we got from the dodgers might be on there soon, he has a big upside

Comment

Originally posted by ortegaskin View Post
              what y'all think

1.Leody Taveras, CF
              2. Willie Calhoun OF/2B
              3.Cole Ragans, LHP
              4.Ronald Guzman, 1B
              5.Chris Seise SS
              6 Bubba Thompson, OF
              7.Hans Crouse, RHP
              8. Yohander Mendez, LHP
              9.Miguel Aparicio, OF
              10. Kyle Cody, SP
              I think I might be putting Aparicio on there a little to early but I really like him and AJ who we got from the dodgers might be on there soon, he has a big upside
              aparicio was highly regarded in j2 along w leodys

Comment

Originally posted by ortegaskin View Post
                what y'all think

1.Leody Taveras, CF
                2. Willie Calhoun OF/2B
                3.Cole Ragans, LHP
                4.Ronald Guzman, 1B
                5.Chris Seise SS
                6 Bubba Thompson, OF
                7.Hans Crouse, RHP
                8. Yohander Mendez, LHP
                9.Miguel Aparicio, OF
                10. Kyle Cody, SP
                Great list, Aparicio has been a bit in the shadow of Tavares but is definititely breaking out. Also you have Bubba Thompson rated around the spot most people do but it seems to be on his physical ability, any thoughts on him?

Comment

Great list. I think most rankings will have your 1~8 in the Rangers top 10. 9 and 10 are interesting. I can see several potential candidates like Brett Martin, Ariel Jurado, Anderson Tejeda, Michael Matuella….. dependent on whether you like their potential or performance. BA ranked Miguel Aparicio #7 on Rangers Midseason Top 10 so probably deserved to be there.

Comment

I believe Calhoun will be our opening day left fielder in 2018

Comment

Originally posted by PropertyLossDoctors View Post
                      I believe Calhoun will be our opening day left fielder in 2018
                      Same here, though it really depends on whether they trade Choo or not. Calhoun has only played LF for a week but we haven't read anything about problems with his defense, so he can probably hold down the decision.

Comment

Calhoun played LF 9 games with RR and 12 games with OKC this year, 29 PO, 3 Assit (all with RR) and 0 E.

Comment

Not top 10, but here are my favorite farmhands in order (note, not even intended to be a top x prospects list, rather simply who I'm enjoying following the most)

Willie Calhoun
                          Cole Ragans
                          Mike Matuella
                          Tyreque Reed
                          Hans Crouse
                          Leody Taveras
                          Kyle Cody
                          Ronald Guzman
                          Chris Seise
                          Bubba Thompson
                          Yanio Perez
                          Yohander Mendez
                          Miguel Aparicio
                          Tyler Phillips
                          Jonathan Hernandez
                          Brett Martin
                          Matt Whatley
                          Luis Rosario
                          Connor Sadzeck
                          Edgar Arredondo
                          Jeff Springs
                          Danny Drullard
                          Jose Trevino
                          Sam Huff
                          Alex Kowalczyk
                          Juremi Profar
                          Andy Ibanez
                          Andretty Cordero

Comment

Willie Calhoun played left field in college and most scout said he fit left field better.

Dodgers have a glut of talent in the minors and a glut of OFers so want to try him at 2B.

More than anything, the 22-year-old credits a position change during the five-game series for his success at the dish.

"I played left field today and yesterday, and it's the first time I've played left field since college," Calhoun said. "Obviously, I want to be a second baseman and the Dodgers want me to be a second baseman. And just playing the outfield, being out there, it just relaxed me. As you're standing out there and the ball's not being hit to you, you have some time to think. I was thinking about my ABs, thinking what my plan was going to be going into my next at-bat. And honestly, I'm just trying to keep my approach and keep it simple."

"I always have a smile on my face no matter what," he said. "It's something that I do and try to do for every game. I don't try to get down on myself or take anything too seriously. ... Obviously it's not that I don't care, because I do care. This is a kids' game. Being able to play this game for so long and seeing all the stuff I had to get through to get where I'm at now, there's nothing to it but to have fun."

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/los-a...54/t-185364810

Willie's bat is no doubt ready to make a showing in the MLB.

Comment

FanGraphs Texas Rangers Top 10

1. Leody Taveras, CF
                              2. Willie Calhoun, DH
                              3. Ronald Guzman, 1B
                              4. Cole Ragans, LHP
                              5. Yohander Mendez, LHP
                              6. Bubba Thompson, CF
                              7. Ariel Jurado, RHP
                              8. Hans Crouse, RHP
                              9. Joe Palumbo, LHP
                              10. Jose Trevino, C

Jurado and Trevino are trending down as both endure tough seasons in Double-A. Ragans moves ahead of Mendez, having impressed scouts in the Northwest League with his combination of a future plus changeup and a fastball that plays up in the zone despite modest velocity. Palumbo looked like a pop-up top-100 guy before requiring Tommy John.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/updat...lists-al-west/
                              Last edited by mingjungtc; 08-17-2017, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Frank (Chicago, IL): Willie Calhoun a top 30 prospect for you? Is his destination to be the keystone, or can he play elsewhere?

Ben Badler: Definitely a Top 30 guy. I'm a huge fan of Willie Calhoun's bat. When you watch his swing—wow. His hitting mechanics are outstanding. Short, compact swing, excellent rhythm and balance, with the barrel staying on plane with the ball for a long time. The crazy power numbers he posted as an amateur are going to come back down to earth, but for his size, he does have surprising power and could be a 15-20 HR guy. The way he raked in his brief taste of pro ball after signing this year is no fluke.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minor...vRdZuopld9Q.97

Comment

Working...
                                X