X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prospect Hot Sheet (May 19) | BaseballAmerica.com

14. Yanio Perez, of, Rangers (21)
    Low Class A Hickory (South Atlantic)

The Cuban signee has looked like a man among boys in his first taste of affiliated ball, hitting .356/.429/.630 in his first year in the Rangers system. Perez put together a six-game hitting streak in his latest big week, which included two doubles, two homers and a pair of three-hit games.
    AVG OBP SLG XBH
    BB SB
    .476 .542 .952 5 3 0

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/prospect-hot-sheet-may-19-minor-league-top-performers1/#7JRlBTLeE7U2U7kb.97

Eric (LA): Is Yanio Perez the real deal, or is his start a product of being a little old for the level? What do you think his ultimate outcome is?

Kyle Glaser: I saw him make a lot of hard contact when he came through Greensboro. Good sign, but yes I would like to see him moved up to Down East before buying in totally

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/prospect-hot-sheet-chat-may-19a/#QH7Rgv5E4wGZejwt.97

Comment

Connor Sadzeck 8.0IP, 3H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1BB, 9 SO

Comment

BA:
        Mike Matuella, rhp, Rangers. The one-time Duke ace is working his way back from Tommy John surgery, and his past two outings have been promising. On Wednesday, Matuella struck out four in three perfect innings, throwing 27 of 35 pitches for strikes. In his past two outings, Matuella has allowed just three hits and a walk with eight strikeouts in six innings.

Comment

Originally posted by mingjungtc View Post
          BA:
          Mike Matuella, rhp, Rangers. The one-time Duke ace is working his way back from Tommy John surgery, and his past two outings have been promising. On Wednesday, Matuella struck out four in three perfect innings, throwing 27 of 35 pitches for strikes. In his past two outings, Matuella has allowed just three hits and a walk with eight strikeouts in six innings.
          If Matuella is healthy for the rest of the year then he likely will end up in Hi A and will move up to the top 3 of Rangers prospects.

Comment

I know his floor is LOW, but nobody excites me more in our entire system than Matuella.

Comment

Matuella has a looong way to go. Has he ever pitched beyond 4 innings in a single outing since Duke?

Comment

It's Matuella day!

Comment

Rangers Prospects @RoadToArlington
                  Michael Matuella posts another strong outing, 3 IP 0 ER 0 BB 5K'S as he only got up to 42 pitches, all just precautionary for his health

Comment

I'm definitely interested in Condor and Perez....

Comment

An Interview with Crawdads Pitcher Michael Matuella

So, tell me about the back injury. I tried to pronounce it before I came here and still canít get it right.

Matuella: Itís called spondylolysis. It sounds a lot worse than it is. Itís basically a lot of people have it. Itís something that I manage. Iíve been asymptomatic for two years. I donít feel it. Itís something that once you do the rehab and once you develop a stronger core and basically develop strength all around that, you just donít feel it.

Is it upper or lower back?

Matuella: Lower back. You can have it on any of the vertebrae, but I guess itís more common to be lower.

Was it something that was spurred by all the pitching motions and the twists and turns?

Matuella: You just never know what contributed to it. Thereís probably a number of things. Pitching, probably, contributes to it, but also weightlifting. Really a lot of stuff, the running, jumping. Thereís a lot of guys, I think they estimated that probably 20 percent of athletes have that injury, but they donít know they have it because itís not causing any issues. So, for me, Iím at that point Ė and Iíve been at the point for a while now Ė where itís not a big deal for me. Itís not that Iím frustrated with people Ė and Iím not frustrated by the question Ė but some people are really scared by it. I feel like a normal person and I donít think itís a big deal at all.

You dropped to the third round. Obviously, the Rangers saw something in you and were able to sign you above what they would normally pay a third-rounder. Tell me about those conversations with the Rangers.

Matuella: The Rangers, they were probably one of the teams that contacted me the most and they were the most interested from the beginning. So, I was happy that they did a lot of research on me and I really appreciated how much research they did on my back issue and, obviously, everyone knows about ďTommy JohnĒ.

I had talked with them prior to actually getting picked by them. They had put together a plan for me moving forward about they wanted to me to do and where they wanted me to go and a timeline for certain things. I was super impressed and super happy that they were so invested and put so much time and thought into what my program would be. It was awesome and Iím really happy to be with the Rangers.

You pitched last year at Spokane and you get the one start in and here you are again. Take me through that process. That had to be more mental than physical.

Matuella: That was a lot tough mentally than the first time around, because the first time around I was like, ďAlright, Iím going to get the surgery, not a big deal.Ē Thereís no expectations of re-injury. Then it was like, ďWhoa, what just happened?Ē and ďHow did that happen again?Ē So, there was a lot of frustration and a lot of questions of why it happened and how did that happen again. But it doesnít do a lot of good to ask ďwhat if?Ē or going back and thinking in the past. It was really tough because I had come off an injury that Iíd spent 14 months to that point rehabbing.

To go down and know that youíre done for the season again and you wonít be able to pitch again until opening day Ė not that I was here opening day Ė but it wound up being ten months. That was tough and that was definitely a lot tougher to walk in and focus on what I was doing each day. I think, looking back, Iím even stronger for it, mentally and physically, to be able to push through as tough a time like that. Not that I had to go back to square one, because I didnít have to have surgery again, but to really get knocked on my butt again. It wasnít fun, but Iím glad I avoided surgery.

Are you getting an idea of how long they will let you throw, maybe 50-60 pitches?

Matuella: Iím not entirely sure. Iím sure it will be a little bit longer. I think the more important thing this year is that I take the ball every six games. You donít want to get too crazy with the innings, given the back-to-back injures, which is why Iím not too sure when itís going to expand. I doubt Iíll ever go 100 pitches; Iím not entirely sure of that this season. Obviously, I want to pitch as much as I can, but I understand the plan the Rangers have in place for me.

Are you throwing much of the breaking ball right now?

Matuella: A little bit. Iíll start incorporating it some more, but the Rangers big emphasis is on establishing fastballs and fastball command. So, Iím really trying to stick to that.

Following the interview with Matuella, I had a chance to get Crawdads pitching coach Jose Jaimesís perspective on the progress of Matuella.

How do you see Matuella progressing on the mound in just throwing pitches?

Jaimes: I think so far, we donít have any concerns results wise. Itís more about him healthy. Itís been almost 16 months basically, since he got hurt last year. Heís going through a little tough time mentally wise. Naturally, he has some concerns about his elbow and his arm, but for the most part heís getting better. His last bullpen was pretty good, so itís a process for him just to trust heís fully healthy. Hopefully, the next start will be better, but we donít have any concerns about what he can do on the field. Itís more about him staying positive and knowing that all the work he put in the last year and a half is good for him.

Is there any concern about him not wanting to cut it loose and let go?

Jaimes: Yeah, most of the time when guys coming off an injury, it takes them a month just to get through that. Theyíre afraid to feel something in there. The last bullpen, he actually said, ďyou know what, Iím going to let it go and whatever happens, happens.Ē It was a good start for him.

https://crawdadsbeat.com/2017/05/30/...hael-matuella/

Comment

Originally posted by mingjungtc View Post
                        Rangers Prospects @RoadToArlington
                        Michael Matuella posts another strong outing, 3 IP 0 ER 0 BB 5K'S as he only got up to 42 pitches, all just precautionary for his health
                        Last 9 IP for Matuella: 6 H, 1 BB, 1 ER, 13 Ks.

That's what we've been waiting for.

Comment

2017 Prospects Midseason Top 50

30. Leody Taveras, OF, Texas Rangers

Why Heíll Succeed: Tools play, the old adage goes, and Taveras has enough of them to stock your local Ace Hardware (stop giggling, Craig), assuming your local shop carries exactly five tools. Thatís more than enough to make him one of the better center field prospects in baseball though and a potential star, albeit one that carries a lot of risk, because...

Why He Might Fail: ...those tools havenít actually played yet. Thereís enough fallback on the center field glove to get him to the majors, but we are a ways from the bat allowing for more than that.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=32224

10. Lewis Brinson, OF, Milwaukee Brewers
                          34. Jorge Alfaro, C, Philadelphia Phillies

BA Prospect Hot Sheet Chat (June 30)

Dave (Calgary, Canada): Did Ronald Guzman get any consideration for the list this week with homers in 3 straight games? Does he get the call up soon to the big league club with the underperformance at first base for the Rangers?

Kyle Glaser: Yes, Guzman was just one of those guys I ran out of spots for, but he has every right to be on here. And the Rangers definitely need someone to step up, might as well give the kid his shot, although a few more games in Triple-A never hurt anyone

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/prospect-hot-sheet-chat-june-30-a/#k5O427zrmqByUQqt.97
                          Last edited by mingjungtc; 07-06-2017, 09:23 AM.

Comment

So is Tavares failing at the plate badly this year because this write-up sure makes it seem so. Thought he was hitting well last season?

Comment

Originally posted by Rev View Post
                              So is Tavares failing at the plate badly this year because this write-up sure makes it seem so. Thought he was hitting well last season?
                              About the same, but he's young for the league. He's playing lower A ball at 18 and holding his own with the bat.

Comment

Baseball America hot sheet

18. Yeyson Yrizarri, SS, Rangers (20)
                                High Class A Down East (Carolina)

After spending two seasons at low Class A Hickory, Yrizarri hit his way to high Class A this season. He has good bat speed and solid power for a shortstop but almost never walks. If he can ever learn some plate awareness, he might have something to build upon.
                                AVG OBP SLG XBH
                                BB SB
                                .480 .483 .760 4 0 0

8. Dillon Tate, RHP, Yankees (23)
                                High Class A Tampa (Florida State)

The Rangers made Tate the fourth overall pick in 2015 but traded him to the Yankees last summer for Carlos Beltran. Injury and underperformance have hurt his stock. A shoulder injury delayed his 2017 debut, but he has come back strong. Tate threw 69 strikes in 88 pitches in his gem of a start this week and hit 97 mph.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/prospect-hot-sheet-july-7/#T82RvDJyFQ1xslYp.97

Comment

Working...
                                X