Top 10 prospects

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 10 prospects

what yall top 10 prospects after draft. here is mine, tell me what yall think

1. 3B Joey Gallo
    2. SP Dillion Tate
    3. SP Luis Ortiz
    4. OF Lewis Brinson
    5. SP Michael Matuella
    6. OF Leody Tavaras
    7. SP Cole Ragans
    8. OF Jairo Beras
    9. SP Ariel Jurado
    10. SP Alex Speas

I think Ronald Guzman also deserves consideration

Comment

And maybe Yohander Mendenz and Jose Almonte?

Comment

Originally posted by ortegaskin View Post
        what yall top 10 prospects after draft. here is mine, tell me what yall think

1. 3B Joey Gallo
        2. SP Dillion Tate
        3. SP Luis Ortiz
        4. OF Lewis Brinson
        5. SP Michael Matuella
        6. OF Leody Tavaras
        7. SP Cole Ragans
        8. OF Jairo Beras
        9. SP Ariel Jurado
        10. SP Alex Speas
        not sure we have any idea where those two guys are without throwing a pitch. There is a ton of talent in this system

Comment

Taking a stab from someone that isn't incredibly informed:

1. Joey Gallo
          2. Luis Ortiz
          3. Dillon Tate
          4. Lewis Brinson
          5. Ronald Guzman
          6. Michael Matuella
          7. Travis DeMeritte
          8. Jairo Beras
          9. Cole Ragans
          10. Yohander Mendez

Also: Ariel Jurado, Alex Speas, Brett Martin, Yeyson Yrizzari, Eric Jenkins, Leody Tavaras, Andy Ibanez, Josh Morgan, Jose Almonte (Any of these guys could be mixed into the second half of the Top 10 without much argument from me)

Comment

Originally posted by MushMouthMike View Post

1. Joey Gallo
            2. Luis Ortiz
            3. Dillon Tate
            4. Lewis Brinson
            5. Ronald Guzman
            6. Michael Matuella
            7. Travis DeMeritte
            8. Jairo Beras
            9. Cole Ragans
            10. Yohander Mendez

Also: Ariel Jurado, Alex Speas, Brett Martin, Yeyson Yrizzari, Eric Jenkins, Leody Tavaras, Andy Ibanez, Josh Morgan, Jose Almonte (Any of these guys could be mixed into the second half of the Top 10 without much argument from me)
            No Demeritte. His K rate is too high,and the ballpark is nearly most hitter-friendly in the minors.
            Ryan Cordell could be a consideration in top 15,IMO
            Last edited by JustinIdiot; 06-15-2016, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Cordell for sure. I should have listed him.

Comment

Originally posted by MushMouthMike View Post

1. Joey Gallo
                2. Luis Ortiz
                3. Dillon Tate
                4. Lewis Brinson
                5. Ronald Guzman
                6. Michael Matuella
                7. Travis DeMeritte
                8. Jairo Beras
                9. Cole Ragans
                10. Yohander Mendez

Both Ryan Cordell and Ronald Guzman are cooling down after their hot start. It will be interesting to see how many Rangers prospects will be on next year’s Top 100. Probably top 6 from your list. I think BA like Jurado and Andy Ibanez.

Comment

Baseball Prospectus: The State of the System: The Rangers system is remarkably consistent in the kind of dudes it has. There’s just fewer of them at the moment.

The Top Ten

LHP Yohander Mendez
                  RHP Ariel Jurado
                  CF Leody Taveras
                  SS Anderson Tejeda
                  LHP Brett Martin
                  SS Yeyson Yrizarri
                  1B Ronald Guzman
                  LHP Cole Ragans
                  IF Josh Morgan
                  LHP Andrew Faulkner

The Big Question: Proximity over potential?

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=30854

Baseball America:

Top 10 Prospects ($)
                  1. Leody Taveras, of
                  2. Yohander Mendez, lhp
                  3. Ariel Jurado, rhp
                  4. Cole Ragans, lhp
                  5. Andy Ibanez, 2b/3b
                  6. Josh Morgan, 3b/ss
                  7. Ronald Guzman, 1b
                  8. Alex Speas, rhp
                  9. Joe Palumbo, lhp
                  10. Brett Martin, lhp

1. Leody Taveras, of |

Batting: 60.
                  Power: 50.
                  Speed: 60.
                  Defense: 60.
                  Arm: 60.

Taveras is a smooth, well-rounded player with an exciting blend of tools and skills for his age, and he draws comparisons with a young Carlos Beltran. Lean and athletic, Taveras has a short, simple swing from both sides of the plate. He’s a balanced hitter who uses his hands well in connection with his lower half. He’s a high-contact hitter with good feel for the barrel who unleashes a fluid swing with whippy bat speed and a clean path to the ball. He is adept at hitting fastballs, and while he’s still learning to recognize offspeed pitches, he has solid strike-zone awareness and improved his ability to manage the zone since signing, showing the ability to make adjustments within an at-bat. He uses the whole field with a line-drive approach, showing mostly gap power in games with the ability to drive the ball over the fence occasionally during batting practice. With his bat speed, strong hands and room to fill out his projectable frame, Taveras could eventually grow into average power. He makes the game look easy at the plate and in center field. He’s a plus runner with long, gliding strides. He looks natural and instinctive in center field, where he gets sharp reads and jumps off the bat to give him good range. Even when Taveras does take a false step, he has the speed to compensate and cover plenty of ground. He also has a plus arm with good accuracy.

The Future: Taveras has yet to reach full-season ball, but he has the highest ceiling and most exciting skill set in the Rangers system, with five tools that could all grade out average to plus. Mature beyond his years, he should open 2017 at low Class A Hickory. Between his ability and the Rangers’ track record of hitting the accelerator with their most talented young international prospects, he could move quickly through the system.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2017-texas-rangers-top-10-prospects/#jgbQDPpgVeD7lMi2.97

MiLB

1) Yohander Mendez, LHP
                  2) Andy Ibanez, 2B-3B
                  3) Leody Taveras, OF
                  4) Ronald Guzman, 1B
                  5) Cole Ragans, LHP
                  6) Ariel Jurado, RHP
                  7) Eric Jenkins, OF
                  8) Brett Martin, LHP
                  9) Alex Speas, RHP
                  10) Connor Sadzeck, RHP

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2016?list=tex

John Sickels

1) Yohander Mendez, LHP, Grade B/B+:

2) Ariel Jurado, RHP, Grade B/B+:

3) Andy Ibanez, 2B-3B, Grade B:

4) Leody Taveras, OF, Grade B-:

5) Anderson Tejeda, INF, Grade B-:

6) Josh Morgan, INF-C, Grade B-:

7) Ronald Guzman, 1B, Grade B-:

8) Cole Ragans, LHP, Grade B-:

9) Brett Martin, LHP, Grade C+/B-:

10) Alex Speas, RHP, Grade C+/B-:

11) Joe Palumbo, LHP, Grade C+/B-:
                  12) Jose Trevino, C, Grade C+:
                  13) Jose Leclerc, RHP, Grade C+
                  14) Connor Sadzeck, RHP, Grade C+:
                  15) Yeyson Yrizarri, SS, Grade C+:
                  16) Mike Hauschild, RHP, Grade C+:
                  17) Andrew Faulkner, LHP, Grade C+:
                  18) Pedro Payano, RHP, Grade C+:
                  19) Kole Enright, 3B, Grade C+:
                  20) John Fasola, RHP, Grade C+/C:

OTHERS GRADE C+: Jairo Beras, OF; Kyle Cody, RHP; Michael De Leon, INF; Demarcus Evans, RHP; David Garcia, C; Michael Mantuella, RHP; Yanio Perez, 3B

GRADE C: Jose Almonte, OF; Wes Benjamin, LHP; Jose Cardona, OF; LeDarious Clark, OF Frandy De La Rosa, 2B; Tyler Ferguson, RHP; Ti’Quan Forbes, 3B; Scott Heineman, OF; Jonathan Hernandez, RHP; Sam Huff, C; Eric Jenkins, OF; Isiah Kiner-Falefa, INF-C; Charles Leblanc, INF’ Brett Nicholas, C-1B; Tyler Phillips, RHP; Eduard Pinto, OF; Yohel Pozo, C; Juremi Profar, INF; Luke Tendler, OF; Xavier Turner, 3B; Drew Robinson, INF; Tyler Wagner, RHP

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2016/...pects-for-2017

Prospect 361°:

Yohander Mendez (LHP)

Highest Level: Majors, ETA: 2016, Fantasy Ceiling: Top 40 SP

Yohander Mendez was signed in 2011 out of Venezuela as a projectable 16-year-old that the Rangers believed would grow into a potential front-of-the-rotation lefty. What’s funny is that each year, every team signs a scrawny 16-year-old Latin player, in fact multiple ones with the same hopes and dreams, just to have them flame out before making it to Double-A. So you can argue that Mendez is the exception. In September, he made his major league debut as a 21-year-old.

I’ll admit, I missed the breakout. Mendez pitched only 66 innings in Low-A in 2015, but he showed tremendous promise posting a 2.44 ERA and a 5:1 strikeout-to-walk ratio. I saw it but ignored it, wanting to see more. Then 2016 hit. He tore through three levels, including 31.1 innings in the Pacific Coast League where he posted a 0.57 ERA. By the time I woke up, my readers and Twitter followers were asking me about who he was and I honestly had nothing. I hate it when that happens but it does. So, who is Yohader Mendez and is he as good as he showed last year.

Scouting Report: In a word, Mendez is pretty good. The key to his breakout was just growth…he transformed from a skinny 6-foot-5 teenager to add about 40 pounds of weight and his stuff took a major step forward. Plus, just through pitching more, his control improved, even starting to show some fastball command. Is he a polished product? No, far from it, but he has a chance to be a number two starting pitcher in the big leagues.

Mendez is primarily a fastball/change-up guy. His fastball sits 92 to 94 MPH (93.49 in the majors) with a plus change-up that is his primary swing and miss pitch. His slider has improved greatly but is still inconsistent. His control has also taken a taken a step up and with his size and lefty delivery, there’s just a lot to like.

Fantasy Impact: Mendez will make our Top 100 list and should be owned on all Dynasty Leagues. He’ll likely start the year in Triple-A, but should see time, potentially significant time in Texas as well.
                  Leody Taveras (OF)
                  Ariel Jurado (RHP)
                  Cole Ragans (LHP)
                  Ronald Guzman (1B)
                  Andy Ibanez (2B)
                  Josh Morgan (2B/C)
                  Eric Jenkins (OF)
                  Jario Beras (OF)
                  Alex Speas (RHP)

2017 Emerging Prospect
                  Anderson Tejeda (SS)

https://prospect361.com/al-team-pros...Texas-Rangers/
                  Last edited by mingjungtc; 01-18-2017, 06:47 PM.

Comment

MLB Pipeline top 10 left-handed pitchers

5. Yohander Mendez, Rangers

Signed during the Rangers' international spending spree back in 2011, Mendez was barely on the radar a year ago. But the Venezuelan lefty pitched across three levels of the Minors and made his big league debut, all while showing durability that had previously been elusive, landing him firmly on this (and the Top 100) list.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/213619...icid=151437456

Top 10 catching prospects

3. Jorge Alfaro, Phillies

9. Jose Trevino, Rangers
                    After starting at three positions at Oral Roberts and four in his pro debut, Trevino has taken off since becoming a full-time catcher in 2015. Texas' Minor League player of the year in 2016, he showed off his best tool (his plus arm) by leading the Class A Advanced California League by throwing out 48 percent of basestealers.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/213808...icid=151437456

Comment

2017 Prospect Watch: Top 10 First Basemen

7. Ronald Guzman, Rangers
                      Signed by the Rangers for $3.45 million on the same day they gave Nomar Mazara $4.95 million, Guzman hasn't developed as quickly as Mazara, but he made huge strides in 2016 while reaching Triple-A at age 21. The 6-foot-5 left-handed hitter stands out more for his hitting ability than power, although he did show more of the latter last year by hitting a career-best 16 homers in the upper Minors.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/213931...ase-prospects/

Comment

Top 10 Second Basemen

5. Travis Demeritte, Braves
                        Demeritte hit 25 homers in High Desert, an extreme hitter's park, before getting dealt from the Rangers to the Braves. He needs to cut down his strikeouts some -- though he does draw walks -- something he improved in the Arizona Fall League. He looked strong at second in the AFL as well, but with Albies there, he might be looking at a move to third.

6. Andy Ibanez, Rangers
                        The Cuban defector had a long layoff, yet managed to play his way from the Class A South Atlantic League up to Double-A, jumping over the California League. He makes hard, consistent contact with extra-base ability, doesn't strike out a ton and draws some walks. There's a lot of talent ahead of him, but he should hit his way to Texas.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/213958...ase-prospects/

Comment

BP: The Top 101 Prospects of 2017

39. Yohander Mendez, LHP, Texas Rangers

72. Ariel Jurado, RHP, Texas Rangers

73. Leody Taveras, OF, Texas Rangers

95. Anderson Tejeda, SS, Texas Rangers

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...p6NdMk.twitter

Comment

Mark (US): Favorites for 2018 top prospect?

The Top 101 Prospect Chat with Jeffrey Paternostro: Moncada, Robles, Rosario, Jimenez, are the highest guys most likely to still be list-eligible. I could see any of the four taking it. If you want someone further down, how about a crafty quid on Leody Taveras?

henry (texas): Does Jurickson Profar still have the same tool set, at least from an offensive perspective that led him to be a number 1 prospect?

The Top 101 Prospect Chat with Jeffrey Paternostro: He's gonna be 24. has a full season of PA as a well-below-average hitter. Granted the playing time has been sporadic, but sometimes the injuries blunt the tools. He doesn't look like that guy anymore, although he could still be a solid major league player at some point.

hoosier (Indiana): anybody who didn't make the 101 or "Just missed" that you are particularly bullish on and have in your personal 101? also, what do you value more, high floor/close proximity to majors or high ceiling/more risky?

The Top 101 Prospect Chat with Jeffrey Paternostro: I'm pretty good about sneaking guys on like, say, Anderson Tejeda. Jose Albertos is the one that jumps out to me for that I guess. I wrote about this in the intro to the lists, but I think chasing upside is a necessity given how much harder it is to get above-average regulars onto your major league team nowadays.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ch...hp?chatId=1396

Comment

John (Bayside): How much wood would Yohander Mendez chuck if Yohander Mendez could chuck wood?

Kate Morrison: A decent amount, but not as much as someone like, say, Keone Kela.

phillipday (Los Cabos): Were they still eligible, where would Mazara and Odor rank?

Kate Morrison: One and two, probably. It's really difficult to answer these kind of questions for me, personally, because once a player's proven themselves in the majors - as Mazara and Odor have - then their value is realized value, rather than potential value, which is what I'm personally weighing when I consider prospects. The reason that Mazara and Odor are big leaguers at an age when many are still prospects is that - they've realized the beginnings of their potential.

David (Not Sure): Victor Robles was the helium name heading into last year and this year its Juan Soto. Who is someone you are looking to jump on the wagon with the start of this season who isn’t yet a name so this time next year you can say “I was there before the hype.”

Kate Morrison: Anderson Tejeda's a name with some lift in the Rangers org, and some people very hyped about his potential.
                              Here's a college name: Luken Baker. Sophomore, big kid, big arm, big bat.

Jojo (SD): I assume you've gotten some good looks at Yohander Mendez...think he'll be a solid mid-rotation guy for years? More? Less? Thanks!

Kate Morrison: Years, sure, just not next year immediately. Mendez needs a bit more development, but when it clicks for him, he'll hopefully be able to live up to his build and stuff and be yet another solid mid arm for Texas. The problem, though, is that Texas has some mid-rotation guys, but no potential top-end guys coming up through the system, thanks to both system attrition and drafting difficulties.

David (Colorado): Think Texas starts Leody Taveras in Hickory?

Kate Morrison: If he performs well in the spring, yes. Texas hasn't shown a hesitation to push their young position player prospects before, especially if they're confident in their ability to handle failure.

J erry (Earth): Hey Kate thanks for the chat. It seems Ronald Guzman has been a good example of a prospect journey not being linear. Do you think he will spend the entire 2017 season in AAA taking over 1B in 2018? Is it outrageous to think his potential is a role 6 player with a max output of 25-30 home runs? Thanks for your input

Kate Morrison: I think that's a likely landing space for him, even while we don't have much of a roadmap for where players will be assigned. His emergence through 2016 is exactly why we as evaluators shouldn't be overly quick to label any player "a bust," because while there's a general way that development goes, not every prospect is the same. There's ups and downs within the timeline of a career, and no two players will have the same struggles - and we have to be aware of that, and incorporate it into our thought processes when evaluating anyone.

Vic (Baltimore): What will Profar's results look like with 500 or 600 ABs?

Kate Morrison: Profar will finally be coming into a season with no health questions around him (cross your fingers), and so it's understandable to project something closer to what was expected when he was the best prospect in baseball - I'd not be surprised by ...hell, .280/.365/.400ish but don't hold me to it.

It isn't guaranteed that he'll get that much time, though, because the Rangers have an excess of infielders and nowhere to put them.

Alex (Austin): Are there any lesser known guys I should be looking for on my trips up to Round Rock this season?

Kate Morrison: I assume you're just talking about on the Express, and one of the annoying things about the depletion of the Rangers system is that there's not really that much between GOOD and career minor leaguer - and towards the end of the year, Frisco was genuinely a terrible team, so there's not anything exciting or interesting close.

Dave (FL): So no power from Profar anytime soon?

Kate Morrison: Until I see proof of it, consistently, it's safer to project him as a doubles dude. I'd be happy to be wrong, of course.

Igor (At a Bar): Mazara had a pretty good rookie season as only just being able to legally buy a beer. My question is I know there are some concerned about him struggling against lefties. Do you think the Rangers will let him get reps against lefties or are they gonna stick him in a platoon even though he will just be 22 this season?

Kate Morrison: I think the Rangers are dedicated to whatever will help his development - he's a big part of their future plans for years to come, and while he struggled against lefties last year, he has the potential to be a solid hitter against all hands, if he's given time to develop. Of course, with Mazara, he could show up to spring training having solved that issue. Exciting times, for sure.

Hope you're having a good beer at that bar you're at.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ch...hp?chatId=1390

Comment

Working...
                              X