No announcement yet.

Arizona Fall League roster

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

some talent on that roster. love heineman fasola and trevino. others are talented too. just love those three.

Comment

MLB Pipeline @MLBPipeline
      LHPs Brett Martin and Andrew Faulkner have been added to @MLBazFallLeague roster. #Rangers Nos. 8 & 17 prospects: http://atmlb.com/21NWUOF

Chris Kusiolek @CaliKusiolek
      Faulkner been nasty out here on occasion in Instructs and Martin is a stud. Nice additions to Surprise

Comment

Tepid Participation @TepidP
        Andrew Faulkner with a 1-2-3 inning in the AFL w/a swinging K. Gotta believe the LH reliever position will be an open competition in '17.

Bernie Pleskoff @BerniePleskoff
        #Rangers 2B Andy Ibanez can really fly. Hit a ball over the head of 3B Brian Anderson and turned it in to a speed double. A guy to watch.

#Rangers lefty Andrew Faulkner made easy work of Mesa in the top of the 7th. Threw 92=94 with good command.

Two doubles and two RBIs today for #Rangers Andy Ibanez. He has showed excellent bat control with a sweet swing. Impressive player.

You impressed me today: #Indians Greg Allen, #RedSox Yoan Moncada, #Twins Nick Gordon, #Rangers Andy Ibanez with solid hitting approaches.

Comment

The Texas Rangers on Tuesday ended left-hander Andrew Faulkner's long season by sending him home from the Arizona Fall League.

Faulkner had two scoreless relief appearances in the league, which brings top prospects together. The Rangers determined it was better to shut down Faulkner rather than have him continue in the league. Faulkner is healthy, according to the club.

Left-hander Shane McCain, who had 75 strikeouts in 74 1/3 innings in the High-A California League this season, took Faulkner's spot on the Surprise roster.

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/texa...er-ride-season

Shane McCain

Back in 2015, the 25-year-old lefty had a 5.29 ERA and 1.45 WHIP in 16 games (two starts) there for the Mavericks. For him to return to the scene in 2016, then, more was necessaryóespecially considering McCain plainly understands heís not a top prospect in Texasí deep minor league organization.

ďI wasnít a high draft pick or anything, and I know that [relief] is my role to get to the big leagues, to come in and get a few guys out and do that role as well as I can,Ē McCain told Todayís Knuckleball before the Mavericksí final game of the season, a win in the California Leagueís Championship Game-clincher over Visalia.

ďIím not going to power through many people with my stuff, and I rely on my pitchability, so itís just about coming in and throwing strikes and stopping momentum.Ē

Lefties hit just .175 off McCain in 2016, and he struck out 35 of them against just nine walks. Thatís to be expected for a left-handed reliever with life on his fastball and an arm angle and approach on the mound that works to deceive same-handed hitters. But righties hit only .267 against him, too, and McCain whiffed 40 of them in 41 innings of work against only 16 walksóall numbers far better than expected, and all numbers that could point McCain to a future role as something more than a one-out guy. Chalk that up to manager Howard Johnson, who time and again relied on McCain to throw shutdown innings in close games all summer regardless of who came up to the plate.

ďYeah, as I start moving up to Double-A or something, they might start using me to get more lefties out, and Iíve really been trying to make them feel as uncomfortable as I can,Ē McCain said. ďBut with righties, itís just keeping it simple. Every time Iím around big leaguers, itís funny how simplified they make things. People can complicate things in your mind, but thatís just not how you succeed as an elite athlete, you have to keep everything as simple as you can. So thatís what I try to do with righties.Ē

That simplified approach to righties translates to one word, and McCain kept going back to it again and again in the course of our interview: attack.

Itís something McCain did in his 2014 rookie summer in Spokane of the Northwest League, where he walked just one hitter in 28.2 innings against 39 strikeouts. Itís a lesson learned that heís kept with him through High Desert this summer, eschewing the initial inclination many pitchers have to nibble around the plate to avoid the big inning or the long home run. The idea of attacking, then, has served McCain well in producing numbers one hasnít often seen out of a reliever in the California Leagueís most, um, unique home ballpark.

ďItís that simple, I just think about one thing all the time, and itís attacking,Ē he said, comparing that outlook to his former days as a starting pitcher. ďAs a starter, you have to be able to get guys out in different ways, and make adjustments throughout the game. But here, Iím literally thinking about one thing, and thatís attacking with every pitch I have, and attacking the strike zone. Thatís an adjustment I had to make, I was doing a lot of overthinking and I didnít have a great year last year. But a lot of the guys with the Rangers preach one word: attack. Itís just attack. Thatís all Iím supposed to do.Ē

Two years of pitching at High Desert later, McCain now knows that better than most. And while his growth here will only take him so far before he has to re-prove himself again next summer, most likely at Double-A Frisco, at least heís one who can now say he thrived in the most unforgiving pitching environment in all of minor league baseball.

http://www.todaysknuckleball.com/al/...ly-relief-ace/

Signed by the Texas Rangers out of Troy (Alabama) University as a non-drafted free agent in 2014. First pitcher in Troy history record 100 strikeouts in back-to-back seasons. Recorded 273 strikeouts at Troy, second-most in school history 9.61 K/9 and 1.65 BB/9 over 98.1 innings in 2013.

Comment

Jose Trevino, C, Texas Rangers (Surprise Saguaros) 2-3, 2B. Catchers are low in supply, so the ones who can catch and hit enough to not murder your teamís production are going to generate some buzz within the industry. Jose Trevino has a strong arm that can help mitigate the running game some and developing defensive chops. Offensively thereís average raw in the bat and he projects to have enough hitting ability to actualize the raw in-game. Those skills make him an interesting prospect to keep tabs on.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=30598

Comment

Instructional League began in Arizona on Wednesday with the Texas and San Diego groups playing in Peoria, AZ. Lefty Brett Martin started for Texas and sat 92-94 with his downhill fastball, touching 95. He frequently utilized a changeup that flashed average, but was mostly below in the 83-85 mph range with an upper-80s cutter. I saw no curveballs from Martin, which I had previously evaluated as his best secondary pitch. Iím not certain if the pitch has been scrapped temporarily for developmental purposes ó or perhaps medical ones, as Rangers pitchers in Extended were on fastball-only programs for a while ó or if he simply didnít happen to throw any. Regardless, Martinís changeup needs reps, as heís missed significant time with injury during each of the last three years. Between 2015 and -17 heís had hip, elbow, and back issues. He has mid-rotation upside if he can stay healthy and more consistently locate a fully developed changeup.

Speaking of changeups, Cole Ragans is going to have a really good one. The Rangers 19-year-old lefty sat 88-91 with his fastball yesterday and flashed an above-average, fading changeup in the upper 70s. I have it and Ragansí command projected to plus. His fastball is a 40 on pure velocity but plays better than that due to plane and deception. He also showed a fringey, low-70s curveball. I can see the basis for the Cole Hamels comparisons, as there are some mechanical similarities and the repertoire is structured similarly. That said, Ragans isnít as graceful and athletic as Hamels is/was, nor does he have the velocity. Yet.

Another Rangers lefty, Colombian Reiver Sanmartin, sat 87-90 and flashed an average changeup and slider. He has a reliever ó Reiver the Relieverģ ó look about him due to his low-three-quarters arm slot and cross-bodied delivery, but heís athletic, well built, throws strikes, and might have enough repertoire depth to pitch through a lineup multiple times. He looks like a fifth- or sixth-starter type.

Texasís starting outfield featured three legitimate center-field prospects in Eric Jenkins, Leody Taveras, and Bubba Thompson. Thompson dealt with knee tendinitis this summer and played sparingly, but his bat speed is intact. He looks to me like heís running gingerly but heís raw with the bat and needs reps. Jenkins looks like heís starting to learn how to limit the scope of his offensive approach in a way that more effectively utilizes his speed. Even as a low-impact slasher/bunter who hits at the bottom of a lineup, Jenkins might play such good defense in center field that he plays everyday anyway. Taveras was disappointing. Itís possible heís gassed after a long, first full season, but he looked sluggish and apathetic yesterday, taking several low-effort swings and allowing a catchable ball to fall in front of him in the outfield. Even amidst a bad look, which Iíll ultimately flush, Taverasís special bat-to-ball ability and feel for center field were evident.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/inst...pen-instructs/

Comment

Cuban products left fielder Yanio Perez and designated hitter Luis La O, both of whom debuted in the Texas Rangers' organization this season, went a combined 2 for 8 for Surprise in the Arizona Fall League opener on Tuesday.

Perez had the two hits, including a double. La O went hitless in four at-bats.

Perez, 22, hit .280 with 14 homers, 66 RBIs and a .777 OPS at the Low- and High-A levels of the organization this season. He played the infield and outfield corners.

La O, 25, hit .327 with seven homers, 39 RBIs and an .804 in the High-A Carolina League.

Former major-league shortstop Spike Owen, who managed the Rangers' affiliate in the Low-A South Atlantic League this season, in charge of the Surprise team. Boston, Kansas City, Minnesota and Pittsburgh also provide players for the club.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/tex...-league-opener

Comment

Jairo Beras
                  Beras spent the last two months of the season pitching in low Class A, where he posted a 5.40 ERA with 14 strikeouts in 13 1/3 innings. He worked from 95-99 mph with his fastball and started adding a slider in late August.

"His instructional league focus has been on his slider, and he's picked it up quickly," Tingler said. "His fastball plays. He's a back-end-of-the-bullpen type."

James Jones
                  "We're shutting him down after instructs so he can have a full offseason and be ready to go in Spring Training," Tingler said. "We've seen 92-94 mph pretty consistently, pretty good strikes, pretty good secondary pitches. We're open-minded about a lot of things. We don't rule out that he can pitch and come in and play the outfield late in the game, pinch-run, pinch-hit, things like that."

Former Virginia and Georgia quarterback Greyson Lambert, who hadn't played baseball since he was a high school freshman in 2009, signed with the Rangers as a right-handed pitcher in July but didn't appear in a Minor League game.

Lambert, 23, set an NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision record for single-game completion percentage by going 24-for-25 (96 percent) in 2015. The 6-foot-5, 220-pounder shows an 89-92 mph fastball and the makings of a curveball and changeup.

"He spent instructional league working on his mechanics and delivery," Tingler said. "He's incredibly raw but he has a lot of aptitude, intelligence and competitiveness."

http://m.rangers.mlb.com/news/articl...-at-instructs/

Comment

Michael O'Neill 3 games, 15 AB, 6 H, 2B, HR, 1 SB, 2R, 4 RBI

Comment

The Texas Rangers have completed an arrangement in which they will sent three players to the Adelaide Bite of the Australian League, which begins in November. First baseman Stephen Lohr, outfielder Darius Day and catcher Isaias Quiroz will join the club. All three played at lower levels of the Rangers' organization this year. Lohr, 22, hit .257 with three homers, 10 RBIs and a .771 OPS in the rookie-level Arizona League. Day, 23, appeared in only 10 games in the Arizona League because off injury. He hit .323 with a 1.064 OPS and had 13 walks. Quiroz, 20, appeared in a total of 30 games with Short-season A Spokane and Low-A Hickory. He hit only .132 with a .498 OPS. https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/tex...aded-australia

Comment

Left-hander Adam Choplick worked a perfect ninth inning, with two strikeouts, to get the win for Surprise in the Arizona Fall League. Choplick, from Denton Ryan High School, has not allowed a base-runner in three innings. Choplick gave up one it in 7 1/3 innings in his final seven appearances with Down East of the High-A Carolina League.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/tex...emains-perfect

Comment

Originally posted by mingjungtc View Post
                          Left-hander Adam Choplick worked a perfect ninth inning, with two strikeouts, to get the win for Surprise in the Arizona Fall League. Choplick, from Denton Ryan High School, has not allowed a base-runner in three innings. Choplick gave up one it in 7 1/3 innings in his final seven appearances with Down East of the High-A Carolina League.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/tex...emains-perfect
                          Gotta love that he's left handed. I feel like there's been an emphasis on developing relief pitchers, though it may just fall in line with several guys having successful seasons.

Comment

Working...
                          X