RHP Willie Eyre
    LHP Beau Jones
    RHP Andrew Laughter

1B Chad Tracy
    3B John Whittleman
    OF Julio Borbon

http://mlb.mlb.com/documents/2008/08/26 ... osters.pdf

Re: Arizona Fall League roster

Very interesting. It reinforces what I thought about Borbon and Beau Jones being darkhorse candidates to make the 2009 Major League roster. Also that Whittleman hasn't lost that much of his prospect status from this last season and that Chad Tracy's late season push means he really has turned a corner.

Interesting about Bannister and Eyre, I wonder what the thought line was in sending them.

I'm rooting for Chad Tracy to make the majors, the first game we took our baby to was a Bakersfield game and we caught a foul ball from Tracy, so its the baby's now. He is 11 month old now and can pick the ball up and throw it across the room. He seems to have a strong arm so the question now is, if I tie his right arm behind his back so he only throws lefty.. am I a bad parent?

Comment

Bad - maybe

Rich - very possible
      And the Rangers, well, they dominate the Astros year in and year out. If Rick Perry really does lead a secession effort, can we put Dallas and Houston into different states so we don't have to keep calling them Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by Kaisersoze
        Very interesting. It reinforces what I thought about Borbon and Beau Jones being darkhorse candidates to make the 2009 Major League roster. Also that Whittleman hasn't lost that much of his prospect status from this last season and that Chad Tracy's late season push means he really has turned a corner.

Interesting about Bannister and Eyre, I wonder what the thought line was in sending them.

I'm rooting for Chad Tracy to make the majors, the first game we took our baby to was a Bakersfield game and we caught a foul ball from Tracy, so its the baby's now. He is 11 month old now and can pick the ball up and throw it across the room. He seems to have a strong arm so the question now is, if I tie his right arm behind his back so he only throws lefty.. am I a bad parent?
        Heh ... depends on which side of the room is easier to clean up when baby food goes flying off the tray. (Grandparent's view)

Comment

I think its for the team to gauge what they have in Eyre for next season since he missed all of this season. I also think that there aren't many good pitchers they have in AA or AAA that aren't going to instructionals or just take some rest time this offseason.
          Don't trade Salty. Murph's not a 4th OF. Absolutely don't trade Hamilton or Kinsler!

Comment

Yea, with the pitchers it has to be about not wanting to overwork their top SP, that makes sense. B Jones might be a case were either A) they wanna see what he can do as a starter in that LG or B) he could just be a guy who pushes for the ROster next year. With Tracy and Whittleman i gotta believe they really wanna see if they have legitimate prospects, and may even be partly showcasing one of them for a trade. Tracy is really gonna be pushed b/c they have Gac/Moreland/Smoak all lining up behind him ready to pass him.

Comment

Originally posted by blalock84
              Yea, with the pitchers it has to be about not wanting to overwork their top SP, that makes sense. B Jones might be a case were either A) they wanna see what he can do as a starter in that LG or B) he could just be a guy who pushes for the ROster next year. With Tracy and Whittleman i gotta believe they really wanna see if they have legitimate prospects, and may even be partly showcasing one of them for a trade. Tracy is really gonna be pushed b/c they have Gac/Moreland/Smoak all lining up behind him ready to pass him.
              Can Tracy move back to catching. He looks like he'll be in the minors for at least a couple of years and it would be nice to keep this great catching depth around.
              Don't trade Salty. Murph's not a 4th OF. Absolutely don't trade Hamilton or Kinsler!

Comment

Originally posted by Gdawg
                Can Tracy move back to catching. He looks like he'll be in the minors for at least a couple of years and it would be nice to keep this great catching depth around.
                I kind of see Chad Tracy as a guy that is pretty much a DH who could fill in at LF, at 1B and be the emergency 3rd catcher. A mix between Lee Stevens and Max Ramirez, but not really a guy you want catching very often.

Comment

I kind of see Chad Tracy as a guy that is pretty much a DH who could fill in at LF, at 1B and be the emergency 3rd catcher. A mix between Lee Stevens and Max Ramirez, but not really a guy you want catching very often.
                  I really don't see Tracy having much of a future on this team so its really just to have him gain some value.

Comment

I don't see him pushing anyone like Davis or Maximus off the roster, but after this recent run I am seeing him as a guy who plays in the majors for someone.

Comment

I don't see him pushing anyone like Davis or Maximus off the roster, but after this recent run I am seeing him as a guy who plays in the majors for someone.
                      What is your opinion on Gradoville in Baks? I would have thought they would want to have tested him there too if possible, but maybe trying to keep him below the radar after off the charts stats this season.

Eyre is the oldest guy on this squad, is this just a filler and then be replaced by a guy they really want on there.

Comment

Originally posted by Gdawg
                        He's a pretty poor catcher, who just doesn't have the tools to be able to make it behind he plate.

Comment

Originally posted by gamerabcd
                          What is your opinion on Gradoville in Baks? I would have thought they would want to have tested him there too if possible, but maybe trying to keep him below the radar after off the charts stats this season.

Eyre is the oldest guy on this squad, is this just a filler and then be replaced by a guy they really want on there.
                          The thing on Gradoville is that when I saw him early in the season, he was a very raw, unpolished, big kid that had "organizational fodder" written all over him. Seeing him at midseason he was noticably better. Seeing him again last week he was dramatically better than he looked early in the season, both on offense and on defense. Now I can see him hitting AAA easily and maybe the majors.

The Bakersfield manager is Damon Berryhill, who is a former big league catcher and probably took him under his wing. Its a long ways to go and even if he hits his ceiling he won't be the prospect that Salty or Teagarden is (or Maximus for that matter) and would probably profile as a backup, but the fact he improved so much in hisfirst pro season really makes me think he could see the majors at some point.

Comment

I totally agree with Kaisersoze he swings a nice stick. Good arm and range as a left fielder. Couldn't hurt ya at first. But hell i am going in for knee replacements and i can steal against him as a catcher He is a great kid though and i think has a decent shot at the show.

Comment

Who We're Excited To See In The AFL

Jose Trevino, C, Texas Rangers (Surprise Saguaros)
                              I wrote about Trevino earlier in the year, and he has since cemented himself as my favorite position-player prospect in the California League this year. He’s a fierce field general who commands the pace and tempo of the game from behind the plate, and it is quickly apparent in watching him work that he operates with the full faith and confidence of his pitching staff. The leadership acumen extends to the dugout, where he’s a constant presence interacting with teammates and firing up the troops; the league champions fed off his intensity all year long.

Trevino’s a guy in between the lines, too. He possesses a prototypical catching frame, with a nice blend of size and agility that he’s learned to more effectively deploy in smothering balls down in the dirt as the season has progressed. He can control the running game with a catch-and-throw technique that has taken a similarly notable step forward this year, culminating in my final look last week with multiple sub-1.8 pops. The bat has come along nicely as well, and he pairs a sound pitch recognition with an aggressive in-zone approach to produce consistent line-drive contact.

Now, it’s an incredibly tall order to ask a catcher on the heels of a hundred games sweltering in the heart of the Mojave Desert to turn around and hold his own against some of the best prospects in baseball while sweltering in the heart of the Sonoran Desert. But I’m excited to see how he handles the assignment, and if he’s got anything left in the tank he’s going to open some eyes. —Wilson Karaman

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=30405

Surprise Saguaros

Pitchers
                              John Fasola R-R 6'2" 195 Dec 12, 1991 TEX
                              Joe Filomeno R-L 5'11" 235 Dec 31, 1992 TEX
                              Reed Garrett R-R 6'2" 170 Jan 2, 1993 TEX

Catchers
                              siah Kiner-Falefa R-R 5'10" 176 Mar 23, 1995 TEX
                              Jose Trevino R-R 5'11" 195 Nov 28, 1992 TEX

Infielders
                              Andy Ibanez R-R 5'10" 170 Apr 3, 1993 TEX

Outfielders
                              Scott Heineman R-R 6'1" 215 Dec 4, 1992 TEX

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/afl/club.jsp?team_id=542

Comment

Working...
                              X