Choo for Ian Kennedy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choo for Ian Kennedy?

This was mentioned in this article and it makes some sense. He has outstanding salary of $16 million, 16.5 and 16.5 over the next three years. Choo has $20 million, 21 and 21 over the next 3 years. Kennedy had a terrible season last year but unless there are medical problems limiting his future this seems like the type of trade we should explore. KC will be trying to replace several players. Choo is definitely the better player in the deal. Maybe kick in 3-4 million in 2020? Throw in someone like Drew Robinson?
    MLBTR is publishing Offseason Outlooks for all 30 teams.Click herefor the other entries in this series. The 2017 season was

Yea, I saw this on the LSB board and thought it wasn't a good idea there either. You'd be exchanging a guy with a bad contract, Choo, but is productive for one who has a slightly less contract who is really bad.

Comment

You're just spinning your wheels. I'd rather teach him how to play some first base, so that we don't spend money on another Napoli reclamation type.

Comment

Originally posted by Redcap View Post
        Yea, I saw this on the LSB board and thought it wasn't a good idea there either. You'd be exchanging a guy with a bad contract, Choo, but is productive for one who has a slightly less contract who is really bad.
        Ian Kennedy was really bad last year, but he's been a pretty good innings-eater for his career and has mid-rotation upside. I'd rather have him and one less rotation spot to fill than Choo, who can't field well enough to play in the outfield, hasn't shown he can hit out of the DH spot and is blocking the progress of the best young offensive players in our system. Add in Choo's injury history, and I'd happily trade him for any useful major league piece.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy8517 View Post

Ian Kennedy was really bad last year, but he's been a pretty good innings-eater for his career and has mid-rotation upside. I'd rather have him and one less rotation spot to fill than Choo, who can't field well enough to play in the outfield, hasn't shown he can hit out of the DH spot and is blocking the progress of the best young offensive players in our system. Add in Choo's injury history, and I'd happily trade him for any useful major league piece.
          Might be selling high, you never know. Could re-sign Gomez if he doesn't get much and the roster would suddenly have flexibility. Also makes sense if we got Otani

Low probability unless we need to get creative

Comment

Who are these best offensive players in our system Choo is blocking, dannyboy?

Comment

I think the deal could make sense provided that the money going back to KC would be really limited. Ian Kennedy isn't a terrible pitcher, but on the huge downside - he's a finesse flyball starter. Regarding who Choo is blocking - it's not that he's "blocking" folks, it's that he hurts the team on flexibility since we have a number of players that are terrible in the field. By having Choo on the roster, it means you cannot play comparable resources like Calhoun, or offer flexibility with Mazara, Gallo, etc. Obviously he has the big contract, but so does Kennedy.

What Choo has going for him is that he has plate patience, which is something this team sorely lacks. I think Kennedy is a #4 starter on most teams. He's better than he was last year, and he's not awesome. He does pitch, and we do need decent pitchers.

Comment

Originally posted by sfeivor View Post
                I think the deal could make sense provided that the money going back to KC would be really limited. Ian Kennedy isn't a terrible pitcher, but on the huge downside - he's a finesse flyball starter. Regarding who Choo is blocking - it's not that he's "blocking" folks, it's that he hurts the team on flexibility since we have a number of players that are terrible in the field. By having Choo on the roster, it means you cannot play comparable resources like Calhoun, or offer flexibility with Mazara, Gallo, etc. Obviously he has the big contract, but so does Kennedy.

What Choo has going for him is that he has plate patience, which is something this team sorely lacks. I think Kennedy is a #4 starter on most teams. He's better than he was last year, and he's not awesome. He does pitch, and we do need decent pitchers.
                Agree with all this here. Maybe if KC would take no money if we threw in some players? They will lose a lot of payroll with position players moving on, could make sense for them

Without Choo there's definitely more flexibility. He's good in our lineup but it also makes sense to part ways depending on how the offseason plays out. DH is replaceable and that's all he is. The team has to get better defensively

Comment

Originally posted by Flounder1 View Post
                  Who are these best offensive players in our system Choo is blocking, dannyboy?
                  I've said many times I want Gallo, Calhoun and Guzman getting everyday at-bats next season. That requires removing Choo from the roster and moving Mazara to his more natural position in right.
                  Last edited by dannyboy8517; 11-09-2017, 11:04 PM.

Comment

I've said many times I want Gallo, Calhoun and Guzman getting everyday at-bats next season. That requires removing Choo from the roster and moving Mazarra to his more natural position in right.
                    If things turn bad we might want to play Guzman. That's only possible with Choo gone

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Harrah View Post

If things turn bad we might want to play Guzman. That's only possible with Choo gone
                      I think Guzman could handle the majors next year but would be better served by spending another season in the minors.

I think trading Choo depends on the offers, unless we sign Ohtani and just want the DH ABs to go to him. Then we would move him irregardless.

Comment

I've said many times I want Gallo, Calhoun and Guzman getting everyday at-bats next season. That requires removing Choo from the roster and moving Mazarra to his more natural position in right.
                        I approve of this message

Comment

Originally posted by Kaisersoze View Post

I think Guzman could handle the majors next year but would be better served by spending another season in the minors.

I think trading Choo depends on the offers, unless we sign Ohtani and just want the DH ABs to go to him. Then we would move him irregardless.
                          I agree with you, Kaisersoze. It would not hurt for him to repeat AAA. It looks like Gallo pretty much has 1B sewed up anyway.

Comment

I think Mazara has right field locked up, doesn't he? No chance Guzman can outhit Choo in the majors in 2018. It's best to give him another season to see if he can move up from a tier two prospect. He had a good OBP this season, but little power for a first baseman. He has to move Gallo off the bag, and I don't think that will happen. Can't see him as a DH.

Comment

I'm 100% okay with a deal like this in principle. You really can't argue that the Rangers should value a DH over a veteran SP given the state of the roster. Plus I trust that Calhoun can replace Choo's role as a patient hitter in the lineup.

Not sure the Royals would be in on this though - they'd probably rather trade Kennedy for pure salary relief.
                              Sixty percent of the time, I'm right every time.

Comment

Working...
                              X