The #1 Offseason Move To Make

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The #1 Offseason Move To Make

All this talk of do this, do that. Otani, Stanton, Darvish. Its not reality. JD seems content to roll the dice each year on cheaper has beens like Napoli, Ross, Cashner, Berkman, Hamilton, etc (partly because he screwed up so badly with Choo and Fielder). He hits about .200 and that ain't going to bring us back to 2010-11 levels. I hope we really improve this off season. But to me the #1 move that needs ro be made is........

Fire Doug Brocail!

Seriously, he's terrible. All the pitching has done is fall off a cliff. Tolleson, Dyson, Diekman, Barnette, and all the formerly solid or dominant relief pitchers we had are garbage. The starters accomplished nothing in his 2 years, save Cole Hamels, who was much worse this season. Martin Perez is going nowhere. We gave up on Derek Holland with no replacement plan. Wouldn't bring back Colby Lewis, though he would easily be a top 4 starter on this team, despite his age. The winning the Rangers have done has been in spite of Brocail. Why does he draw a paycheck? Please JD get rid of him. And tell Bannister quit being dumb, and manage like his job depended on it. Also let him know its the AL. I'll be optimistic in spring. But I've got a feeling we're going back to 2004-2008 type teams for a while.
    Last edited by Incy29; 10-11-2017, 11:01 PM.

I don't know about all this. Brocail didn't have much to work with. Sam Dyson with his 1.42 WHIP and 4.03 ERA wasn't that good in San Francisco. He was probably the worst closer in the National League after he left the Rangers. Hausman was a joke. Sticking Brocail with Hausman was JD's fault, not the coaching staff's. Bush was not closer material, and the team had no depth in the bullpen. The guys who did not live up to their ability were Barnette and Jeffress. Part of that was being overused because we had no one else to pitch in relief besides Claudio and Bush. Losing Leclerc and Kela to injuries didn't help matters. At some point you have to blame the players and injuries, not the coaches. They did what they could with some underperformances, injurires and an awful staff.

Comment

I'm with Incy. On top of the objective measures that Incy lists, the guy just comes across as utterly uninspiring. His body language is just terrible - trudging slowly out to the mound while looking down at the ground, that round-shouldered stance that he has when he is talking to the pitcher etc. Does he even look the players in the eye? These are all basic body language skills that I would expect a kids' sports coach to understand and have mastered, let alone a major league coach. As a pitcher, I would be thinking "Oh no, here comes Eeyore" rather than be thinking positive thoughts about how to address the short-term challenges in front of me.

And this is going to sound petty, but the dude is 50 and has yet to decide whether to go with a full beard or a goatee. Pick one and stick with it, otherwise you are projecting weakness, indecision and insecurity!

Comment

The trips to the mound did say a lot. My hack with them was that many came at inopportune times, too soon or too late. I suppose that's more up to Banny than Brocail but caused me to say things I shouldn't say in polite company sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by edcoffin View Post
          The trips to the mound did say a lot. My hack with them was that many came at inopportune times, too soon or too late. I suppose that's more up to Banny than Brocail but caused me to say things I shouldn't say in polite company sometimes.
          agreed and the only way pitchers figured out what was happening to them was through their own film study. no one ever says doug brocail helped get them back on track. there is no there there

Comment

Originally posted by FatherSnitch View Post
            I'm with Incy. On top of the objective measures that Incy lists, the guy just comes across as utterly uninspiring. His body language is just terrible - trudging slowly out to the mound while looking down at the ground, that round-shouldered stance that he has when he is talking to the pitcher etc. Does he even look the players in the eye? These are all basic body language skills that I would expect a kids' sports coach to understand and have mastered, let alone a major league coach. As a pitcher, I would be thinking "Oh no, here comes Eeyore" rather than be thinking positive thoughts about how to address the short-term challenges in front of me.
            You are only saying that because Mike Maddux had that Snidley Whiplash mustache and it made him look smarter than he actually is.

Comment

I'm The Dude and I approve this message.

Personally, The Dude would fire Bannister too. He is by far the most stubborn and frustrating manager The Dude has seen in some time.

If they replaced Bannister with Maddux, I'd be so happy.

Comment

Originally posted by RangerDude2016
                I'm The Dude and I approve this message. Personally, The Dude would fire Bannister too. He is by far the most stubborn and frustrating manager The Dude has seen in some time. If they replaced Bannister with Maddux, I'd be so happy.
                I'm holding off on Banny, but mostly because I was pounding the drum loudest to fire Ron Washington, not because I'm a fan. But really I don't know why JD went with Bannister over Bogar. I thought Bogar earned the job. I wouldn't mind seeing someone younger, a new school guy, perhaps someone who has retired in the last 10 years. I know Bannister is back next year, and I bet no matter what he's back the following year. But I truly don't think we will win anything significant as ling as he's here, and I bet in 3 seasons he's out. I'm guessing a new manager in 2020, but hoping for a new one tomorrow. In the mean time, Fire Doug Brocail. PS-JD has been great overall, but I wonder if it isn't just time for some new blood there. Anything in life gets stale if you do it too ling. JD seems like he's not really making his best effort to build a championship team anymore, but kind of seems to be buying into his own smarts by making novelty moves, and trying to pick up guys off who no expects to be good to make himself look smart. But the problem is they keep busting. The draft pics aren't doing anything. His trades have sucked for the last 5 years, except the Hamels/Diekman, Dyson trades. I guess you could say Lucroy trade was ok for that season, but Lucroy bombed and the catcher we had here beat him out. We haven't grown legit pitching in years, Holland is gone, Harrison is out of baseball, Perez underachieves every year. Ogando, Feliz, Scheppers, etc were great, but were ruined under JDs watch. I'd personally say, win in 2018 or send JD, Bannister, and Brocail packing.

Comment

If they want new blood, The Dude endorses Pudge. But the smartest thing JD could do this Winter is flush out the entire staff.

Comment

banister had a message when he got here. Play hard. dont quit and the best players will play. since then he has transformed into a very conventional manager. He rarely changes his lineup. he rarely makes an offensive substitution in game. He has a terrible time choosing when to make pitching changes. He no longer runs a meritocracy. His pitching coach is a direct reflection on him. an underachiever. His coaches are not improving our players. If they are going to rely on them they cannot be left to flail around. They need some coaches that develop talent on staff as many of the players are not finished products. you cant handle rougie like you do beltre
                    Last edited by rainag; 10-13-2017, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Firing Brocail or Banister won't change anything. If they don't win anything next year they should fire JD. I'm all for giving him a second chance because of all the unfortunate and unexpected things that happened player-wise this year. Who knew Dyson would bliw up, Beltre and Hamels would go on the DL and we'd be forced to trade Darvish?

Also, JD put some good teams on the field in the past. So he may be able to do that again. However, those World Series appearances are getting old, and it's starting to look as if a negative trend may be developing since Nolan, Maddux, and then Levine left.

So, I'm willing to give JD one more chance, but after next year if we aren't in the postseason it's clear he has to go.

Don't get me wrong. I'm JD's biggest supporter here. I'm pulling for him. I'm sure he'll put together a great team next year!

Comment

Originally posted by Flounder1 View Post
                        If they don't win anything next year they should fire JD. I'm all for giving him a second chance because of all the unfortunate and unexpected things that happened player-wise this year. Who knew Dyson would bliw up, Beltre and Hamels would go on the DL and we'd be forced to trade Darvish?
                        The Dude knew. And you knew too. The Dude knew you knew cause The Dude knows he told you specifically that 3 of those four things would happen. A long with Ross, Napoli, and Odor all sucking.

Comment

I would be on board wth getting rid of all the coaches. BUT I also don't think it matters much because this roster is very flawed. High strike out rate, low OBP rate etc etc. So, I won't blame JD if he keeps the whole bunch. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

could yall see the marlins be willing to trade Christian Yelich and us being interested than signing Cain to a larger contract

Rangers: Yelich and Brad Zeigler which they lose 14 million in salary since they want to lose some

Marlins: Delino Deshields, Willie Calhoun, and Yohander Mendez

Comment

Originally posted by pibrew View Post
                              I would be on board wth getting rid of all the coaches. BUT I also don't think it matters much because this roster is very flawed. High strike out rate, low OBP rate etc etc. So, I won't blame JD if he keeps the whole bunch. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              This is a fair point. However, the coaching staff is also flawed. The Dude lost count of how many times this season he correctly told Mrs. Dude "See this move right here. Putting (insert player's name here) in right now is going to blow the lead."

Having flawed players is bad. Having a flawed manager which repeatedly and regularly plays said flawed players in high-leverage situations compounds the problem even more.

Comment

Working...
                              X