Clear All

• Realistic offseason plan

Free agency:
    SP
    Cashner 3/39
    Hellickson 2/20

RP
    Jake McGee 2/10

= around 28 million added each of the next 2 years as opposed to Darvish/Arrieta/Lynn/Cobb who seem to be the cream of the crop and will be 20-30 million a year for each of those guys

From there we would be at about $130 million

Then we wait on Otani...

Let's say he picks us. Then trade Profar for someone like 1 yr of Andrew McCutchen. Let's say Otani picks someone else. Then trade Profar+ for a SP like 2 years of Jake Odorizzi

Then spend about 10 million on some buy low bullpen pieces. Or maybe look at the Japanese closer market. Get the best RP in the rule 5 draft we can find. Maybe make a small trade for under the radar bullpen

With Otani:
    DH Choo
    SS Andrus
    RF Mazara
    3B Beltre
    CF McCutchen
    1B Gallo
    LF Calhoun
    C Chirinos
    2B Odor
    Bench- DeShields, Otani

Hamels
    Otani
    Cashner
    Perez
    Hellickson

without Otani:

CF DeShields
    DH Choo
    SS Andrus
    3B Beltre
    RF Mazara
    1B Gallo
    LF Calhoun
    C Chirinos
    2B Odor
    Bench- Austin Jackson

Hamels
    Odorizzi
    Cashner
    Perez
    Hellickson
    Bush
    Last edited by Toby Harrah; 10-11-2017, 11:23 PM.

No need to go bargain hunting like that when they have all that money.

Comment

Cashner and Helleckson would both be expensive disasters. They need Otani. No way around it. Then sign Mikolas and bring Ross back on a minor league deal.

Trade Odor for whatever you can get. Put Profar at second where he belongs. Use the rest of the money on the bullpen.

If you can find a defensive-first CF, get him. Otherwise roll with DDJ.

Comment

Originally posted by RangerDude2016 View Post
        Cashner and Helleckson would both be expensive disasters. They need Otani. No way around it. Then sign Mikolas and bring Ross back on a minor league deal.

Trade Odor for whatever you can get. Put Profar at second where he belongs. Use the rest of the money on the bullpen.

I want no part of Ross. Let someone else take a chance on him.

I saw enough of him for a lifetime this past season.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy8517 View Post

I want no part of Ross. Let someone else take a chance on him.

I saw enough of him for a lifetime this past season.
          The Dude told you all when they signed him last year not to expect anything from him in 2017. He may be done. Historically, pitchers don't fare well coming back from TOS, but the fact that he was able to pitch at all this season is encouraging. On a minor league deal, he's a decent experiment. Let him compete for a job. If he fails, cut him. If he succeeds, he might be a cheap, serviceable 5th starter.
          Last edited by RangerDude2016; 10-12-2017, 11:12 PM.

Comment

I pretty much agree with this

Comment

I seriously doubt that Ross will sign a minor league deal. I think someone will give him a one year on a flyer.

Comment

Ross signed with the Rangers for the proximity and access to TMI Sports Medicine, a well-regarded facility in Arlington. I won’t completely rule out the possibility as Ross still recovering from surgery to address thoracic outlet syndrome.

Comment

Originally posted by mingjungtc View Post
                  Ross signed with the Rangers for the proximity and access to TMI Sports Medicine, a well-regarded facility in Arlington. I won’t completely rule out the possibility as Ross still recovering from surgery to address thoracic outlet syndrome.
                  I'd be up for trying him again if its cheap.

Comment

That sounds like a decent plan, Dude, but what if we don't get Ohtani?

They should go all out for the top pitchers and consider Ohtani a bonus if we get him. So what if they sign Cobb and Arrietta and wind up getting Ohtani, too? If they wind up with Ohtani and figure they have too much starting pitching (LOL), they can trade Hamels or something. Just go all out on pitching. They have the money to get whoever they want.

Comment

Originally posted by Redcap View Post
                      I seriously doubt that Ross will sign a minor league deal. I think someone will give him a one year on a flyer.
                      Perhaps. Depending on the price, The Dude may be willing to give him a major league contract. It would have to be low enough that it would be relatively painless to cut him, however. Given his results this year and the poor track record pitchers have coming back from TOS, a minor league deal may not be out of the question.

Comment

Originally posted by Flounder1 View Post

They should go all out for the top pitchers and consider Ohtani a bonus if we get him. So what if they sign Cobb and Arrietta and wind up getting Ohtani, too? If they wind up with Ohtani and figure they have too much starting pitching (LOL), they can trade Hamels or something. Just go all out on pitching. They have the money to get whoever they want.
                        They don't have the money to splurge like that. Wait until the offseason starts. You will be disappointed in how far they will be able to stretch that budget, especially if they end up cutting payroll as rumored. It's to the point that right now The Dude believes they should do a full rebuild if they can't get Otani. Given all the holes they have, they don't have the money to rebuild the team this Winter with the money they have if they are forced to do so by signing expensive free agents like Cobb and Arrieta. Of course I don't know all the international free agent and trade targets they have on their radar...

Comment

They don't have the money to splurge like that. Wait until the offseason starts. You will be disappointed in how far they will be able to stretch that budget, especially if they end up cutting payroll as rumored. It's to the point that right now The Dude believes they should do a full rebuild if they can't get Otani. Given all the holes they have, they don't have the money to rebuild the team this Winter with the money they have if they are forced to do so by signing expensive free agents like Cobb and Arrieta. Of course I don't know all the international free agent and trade targets they have on their radar...
                          They have as much money as Bob and Ray say they do.

Comment

Originally posted by Flounder1 View Post

I wouldn't go for Arrieta unless he was a real bargain.

Comment

Originally posted by Redcap View Post

I wouldn't go for Arrieta unless he was a real bargain.
                              Arrieta was one of the best pitchers in baseball the second half, so his price will be high. His season numbers are off some this year because of a slow start way back in April and early May. He's still a fine pitcher, maybe the best in the market.

Like TR Sullivan said, "The Rangers can't afford to low-ball their way through this free agent class." Too much is at stake. They are already starting to lose their fan base. There is a loyal 2.5 million attendees, but they can fit a million more in that stadium if they win something. They could also go back down to two million in attendance which is where they were not all that long ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X