Could be a wild offseason

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flounder1 View Post

Probably no more than a small reduction from $165 million to around $155 million. That allows $50 million in free agent spending. They only have $104 million in commitments right now, less if you discount the $9 million per year they owe Fielder. That includes likely arbitrations.

Recall also that the Beltre's contract comes off after next season. That frees up $18 million in 2019. They can backload contracts using some of that and make some great deals! The Hamels contract is gone in 2020. Combined, that is an additional $48 million to play with.

So, no, Darvish is not out of the question and even if they don't get him, the small $10 million reduction will not stop them from signing Cobb, Cashner, Ohtani and a couple of bullpen arms. They have a huge TV contract, a large, dedicated fan base and a growing baseball market. Why would they quit while they are ahead in the money game? It would be like Boeing deciding, "No wait, let's stop building the Dreamliner and focus on small, two-seat piston-engine airplanes. We're making way too much money by trying to win! Our stockholders are too happy. We want to go bankrupt."
    And don't forget about the bump we'll get from the new Park. The future will be very bright if we could just get pitchers to want to come here.
    When a team is at the bottom, the problem is usually at the top.

Comment

Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2018

Jake Diekman (5.050) – $2.8MM
      Martin Perez (5.038) – $7.8MM (Rangers have $6MM club option with a $2.45MM buyout)
      A.J. Griffin (5.034) – $3.0MM
      Jurickson Profar (3.161) – $1.1MM
      Will Middlebrooks (3.146) – $600K
      Phil Gosselin (3.047) – $600K
      Keone Kela (2.168) – $1.2MM
      Nick Martinez (2.149) – $2.0MM
      Ryan Rua (2.126) – $900K

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...-for-2018.html

Comment

I'm not sure I'd give Nick Martinez 2 million.

Comment

Originally posted by Redcap View Post
          I'm not sure I'd give Nick Martinez 2 million.
          Nope. I drop him and Gosselin and get better players

Comment

Originally posted by Flounder1 View Post

Probably no more than a small reduction from $165 million to around $155 million. That allows $50 million in free agent spending. They only have $104 million in commitments right now, less if you discount the $9 million per year they owe Fielder. That includes likely arbitrations.

Recall also that the Beltre's contract comes off after next season. That frees up $18 million in 2019. They can backload contracts using some of that and make some great deals! The Hamels contract is gone in 2020. Combined, that is an additional $48 million to play with.

So, no, Darvish is not out of the question and even if they don't get him, the small $10 million reduction will not stop them from signing Cobb, Cashner, Ohtani and a couple of bullpen arms. They have a huge TV contract, a large, dedicated fan base and a growing baseball market. Why would they quit while they are ahead in the money game? It would be like Boeing deciding, "No wait, let's stop building the Dreamliner and focus on small, two-seat piston-engine airplanes. We're making way too much money by trying to win! Our stockholders are too happy. We want to go bankrupt."
            You have to think though that we're frugal with how we spend. Spend smartly over the next 3 offseasons while we have several cheap players. If the deal isn't there we shouldn't take it. We'll still have a good team next year but no reason to get too crazy on multi year deals. One year deals on the other hand just add to our ability to spend the following year, just like they allowed for us to do with all the one year deals in 2017. And Beltre's $18 million is off the books but how much you wanna bet he comes back in 2019? I need the money, dude will go out like Big Papi and Dirk. Choo's contract becomes easier to trade after next year and then we can bring in a top player in FA to finish the "mini" 2 year retool

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Harrah View Post

Nope. I drop him and Gosselin and get better players

Texas Rangers infielders Phil Gosselin and Will Middlebrooks have become free agents after declining outright assignments to Triple-A Round Rock.

The Rangers said Tuesday that Gosselin, Middlebrooks, right-hander Paul Espino and outfielder Jared Hoying cleared waivers and were assigned outright to the Triple-A team.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.f44e2b319085

Comment

Originally posted by mingjungtc View Post

Texas Rangers infielders Phil Gosselin and Will Middlebrooks have become free agents after declining outright assignments to Triple-A Round Rock.

The Rangers said Tuesday that Gosselin, Middlebrooks, right-hander Paul Espino and outfielder Jared Hoying cleared waivers and were assigned outright to the Triple-A team.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.f44e2b319085
                Good start. I'd non-tender Martinez and Griffin at the prices listed above. You can add comparable depth pieces as NRIs in late winter, or even better, let Mendez and/or Jurado absorb those starts.

Comment

Those moves free up four spots at the moment, I would think the top four to be added are Jose Trevino, Ariel Jurado, Brett Martin and Colin Wiles

Comment

Originally posted by Kaisersoze View Post
                    Those moves free up four spots at the moment, I would think the top four to be added are Jose Trevino, Ariel Jurado, Brett Martin and Colin Wiles
                    What about Johnathan Hernandez and Pedro Payano?

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy8517 View Post

Good start. I'd non-tender Martinez and Griffin at the prices listed above. You can add comparable depth pieces as NRIs in late winter, or even better, let Mendez and/or Jurado absorb those starts.
                      I'd keep Griffin till we have other options, he's clearly better than Martinez and until we sign other players he's in the rotation. Free up $6 million by dropping Martinez and declining Barnette's option

Comment

You have to look at 2 things:

1. Is this player close to contributing at the big league level.
                        2. Do we value him enough to put him on the 40

Likely players to consider-
                        Kiner-Falefa- guy can play anywhere, and that would be of value to any MLB team
                        Trevino- our closest catcher to the majors
                        Jurado- very up and down this year
                        Brett Martin- if he can stay healthy, he could be in the majors soon
                        Wolff- has electric stuff

Probably not added:
                        Wiles- I do NOT see a team in the majors that would add him
                        Pedro Payano- struggles throwing strikes consistently
                        Jonathan Hernandez- he will only be at High A this year; I do NOT see a team taking a chance on him

The most interesting decision:
                        Palumbo- had arm surgery. He was dominant when the season started. I could see a team taking a flyer on him; knowing he will NOT be ready until June or July.

Comment

Rule 5 selected players must be kept on the major league roster for the full following season or they have to be offered back to their original team. A player remains bound to the Rule 5 restrictions until he's fulfilled that 90-day active roster requirement. You can’t just pick a player and stash him on the disabled list. I don’t think team will do that for Palumbo.

Scott Williams finished the season with 30 scoreless innings. I think the Rangers will have to protect him.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Harrah View Post

What about Johnathan Hernandez and Pedro Payano?
                            I think they are still too far away for another team to keep them on the 25 all year.

Comment

Scott Williams finished the season with 30 scoreless innings. I think the Rangers will have to protect him.
                              I could see that also, it all comes down to the scouts view obviously.

Comment

Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2018

Jake Diekman (5.050) – $2.8MM
                                Martin Perez (5.038) – $7.8MM (Rangers have $6MM club option with a $2.45MM buyout)
                                A.J. Griffin (5.034) – $3.0MM
                                Jurickson Profar (3.161) – $1.1MM
                                Will Middlebrooks (3.146) – $600K
                                Phil Gosselin (3.047) – $600K
                                Keone Kela (2.168) – $1.2MM
                                Nick Martinez (2.149) – $2.0MM
                                Ryan Rua (2.126) – $900K

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...-for-2018.html
                                The Perez figure is wrong according to Cot's. He's under contract for $6 million in 2018. They don't have to pay any buyout if they keep him another year. The numbers for Perez just don't make any sense, according to Cot's.

I plugged some of these numbers into my spreadsheet with the Perez correction and still come up with close enough to $50 million to spend on a $155 million budget. That figure includes the likely arbitration numbers and players they will keep, and ALL of what we owe Fielder. No telling what kind of deal we got for the Fielder renegotiation, though. With back loading they can make some great deals. Backloading, smart financing and the next wave of young players will keep the Rangers right where they need to be on payroll to remain competitive every year for a long time. It's one of the best managed teams financially in the entire sport, like the Cardinals and Red Sox in terms of the cost of each postseason appearance. The Rangers will have to make some tough decisions, be creative and try to be frugal and efficient with their spending, but they are definitely not hurting in terms of having the money to be competitive, even against the Astros in our own division.

If you want to see a train wreck ahead, look at what the Astros have to deal with over the next couple of years or so. This may be their last shot to do anything

Comment

Working...
                                X