Could be a wild offseason

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ProfarMVP View Post

Most likely we do little...or that we do some rebuilding, IMO.

I can dream on Ohtani and if signed...that might change team plans. But odds are against that.
    They look like over 50% to me.No agent is going to allow him to give up over a million dollars to be a Twin. We have the most money with only the Yankees close, and the Yankees have a lot of good Latin players they want. If he really wants to bat, he'll come to the AL. Since he has an agent now, that means he's going to be thinking in terms of dollars, even if it is only a million or a million and a half extra to be a Ranger.

Comment

Even if they more or less "punt:" the season, that does not mean they won't sign a big-name free agent pitcher. When they sign one it will be for more than one season. There's no way they are going to punt the next three years. As long as there are good free agent starting pitchers on the market, the Rangers are going to go after them really hard no matter the immediate circumstances of the team.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug View Post

I like Naps, but he's done. The Rangers likely need more flexibility from a backup RH hitter than him also (meaning more than just 1B and DH). Most I would give him is a NRI at the major league veterans minimum, and not guarantee him any AB's.
        I don't disagree with you. My post was less about nap and more about the lack of real options this year in FA

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Harrah View Post

I don't disagree with you. My post was less about nap and more about the lack of real options this year in FA
          I tend to agree. But, at the same time, I think they are pretty well set on the position side. In fact, they have a surplus. They don't have the ideal setup (left leaning and not strong defensively in the OF, too many DH candidates), but they should be better than the 2017 Rangers at the positions, IMO. Along with it being primarily good young talent. It's all about the pitching. JMO.

Comment

JD pretty much cleared things up--he's going after pitching. Didn't seem determined to do anything about the batting lineup at all. Just as I figured... all resources will go towards pitching.

Comment

Not a rebuild, yet rebuilding half the pitching staff He seems content with the everyday players... http://m.rangers.mlb.com/news/articl...picId=27118410

Comment

Here are some realistic free agent names for both pitching and hitting:
                Starters:
                Otani
                Cashner
                Jason Vargas
                Jaime Garcia
                Alex Cobb
                Lance Lynn- he is going to get PAID
                Matt Moore- club option
                Jake Arrieta
                Tanaka- has an option

OF:
                Gomez
                Maybin- had a really solid year
                Jarrod Dyson
                Cain
                McCutchen- club option. Would be a solid addition here
                Justin Upton- worried about how much he will cost

1B/DH:
                Logan Morrison
                Lucas Duda

Trade Options:

Starters:
                Jake Odorizzi
                Junior Guerra
                Danny Salazar

OF:
                Broxton- Milwaukee
                Grichuk
                Billy Hamilton
                Marcell Osuna
                Puig- he scares me, but he has a ton of talent

1B/DH:
                Jose Abreu- makes a ton of sense

Comment

Originally posted by Kaisersoze View Post

Not really, the team has a minimum of 55 million to spend on pitching and Otani won't be expensive. Even if you give Cashner 15MM per season, sign Otani and pay Darvish 25MM per year you will still have money left over to put toward a closer or position player.

There is also a significant chance that Choo gets traded in a deal that frees up money.
                  There's only one GM dumb enough to trade for Choo, and he works for us. I admit that the money is there to get pitching; I just don't see any of the top-flight starters signing here. We've been though this countless times on this board. They don't want to come to Arlington and pitch for the Rangers, and they'll take less money to pitch elsewhere. We can force them to come through trades, but when they have a choice; they choose to pitch for others.

I think the best chance we have is for the market for Cashner to be a little softer than he would like, and we money-whip him into a second 1-year, pillow deal (I know that's wishful thinking). We offer arbitration and then sign Griffin to a 1-year deal. Then we're down to trying to catch lightning in a bottle with a thirty-something retread or hoping that a talented pitcher makes an error in judgment. The farm is a little depleted to start hoping we could land a big arm or bat on the trade market. Maybe our latest draft classes will progress enough in 2018 to allow for a mid-season deal.
                  When a team is at the bottom, the problem is usually at the top.

Comment

Originally posted by Mavsman53 View Post
                    Here are some realistic free agent names for both pitching and hitting:
                    Starters:
                    Otani
                    Cashner
                    Jason Vargas
                    Jaime Garcia
                    Alex Cobb
                    Lance Lynn- he is going to get PAID
                    Matt Moore- club option
                    Jake Arrieta
                    Tanaka- has an option

OF:
                    Gomez
                    Maybin- had a really solid year
                    Jarrod Dyson
                    Cain
                    McCutchen- club option. Would be a solid addition here
                    Justin Upton- worried about how much he will cost

1B/DH:
                    Logan Morrison
                    Lucas Duda

Trade Options:

Starters:
                    Jake Odorizzi
                    Junior Guerra
                    Danny Salazar

OF:
                    Broxton- Milwaukee
                    Grichuk
                    Billy Hamilton
                    Marcell Osuna
                    Puig- he scares me, but he has a ton of talent

1B/DH:
                    Jose Abreu- makes a ton of sense
                    Guzman Jurado Ibanez for Abreu makes sense

Turning Profar into 1 year of a quality starter like Odorizzi makes sense

Comment

I really don't agree with either of those. The Rangers should get more than that for three years of Profar. In addition, I have no idea why you would trade one of their top young prospects (Guzman) who appears to also be major league ready for a hitter, instead of pitching. Especially a hitter that doesn't field his position well. Guzman at 1B + $11M spent on a good closer or starting pitching (Area's salary) will win them more games than Abreau. If they install Gallo at 1B for the long term and Guzman is blocked, at least include him in a package for young, controllable pitching. JMO

Comment

I find it hilarious that some want to criticize Choo. Among DH's he'd rank third in OPS if he qualified at that position. He'll be DH more and more and probably has a good year left in him next year. Just needs to stay healthy and keep doing what he's doing. He's a plus to this offense. An expensive plus, but he is a very good contributor who would be hard to replace. Among all AL outfielders, Choo was the fifth best at getting on base. That is nothing to turn up your nose at.

The problem with some of the thinking on Choo is they act like if we could only get someone to pay half his salary everything would be great! They act like we could just move Calhoun into the DH spot and everything is solved. Nope. Doesn't work like that. You move Calhoun into the DH spot and it's very, very likely you will have something like a 100 point drop in OPS there. You then have a hole in LF where Calhoun is destined to play. That hole will cost you more than $11 million to fill. Way more if you hope to achieve the potential Choo represents I the batters box. What do you think Cain or Gomez are going to make next year? Way more than $11 million is my answer.

We also have the little issues that Banister, JD, Beltre and Andrus expressed great confidence in this batting lineup next year. JD even said that signing Gomez might be a little difficult considering how much they may have to spend on pitching. So, saving $11 million to spend $15 million or more on Gomez or Cain, and degrade DH and/or 1B probably isn't likely. Gallo at LF or 3B probably isn't going to happen, either.

It sounds like a neat idea until you look into the details.

My guess is Choo will be the opening day DH. If things don't work out, they might trade him at the deadline or next winter. They will want to see what Calhoun can do in LF and how Guzman develops at AAA before eating all that salary, is my guess. Gallo will man 1B from here on out, and if Beltre cannot play 3B, he will be replaced by the bench, either Profar most of the time if he's still here or another player. They will keep Beltre at 3B as much as they can next year for a variety of reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug View Post

I really don't agree with either of those. The Rangers should get more than that for three years of Profar. In addition, I have no idea why you would trade one of their top young prospects (Guzman) who appears to also be major league ready for a hitter, instead of pitching. Especially a hitter that doesn't field his position well. Guzman at 1B + $11M spent on a good closer or starting pitching (Area's salary) will win them more games than Abreau. If they install Gallo at 1B for the long term and Guzman is blocked, at least include him in a package for young, controllable pitching. JMO
                          True. I doubt they trade Guzman this winter, but the reason they might is they commit to Gallo at 1B. Guzman is only a 1B. If he's blocked, no reason not to trade him. But, I think that is off a year while he builds value, unless, like you say, we can get some pitching for him that we direly need.

I think Redcap hit the nail on the head when he said if Gallo plays 3B full time he'll make 30 errors. At first that seemed extreme to me. Then, I looked at his 18 errors there in only 92 games in his career. And, no, it did not get any better this year. He's a good 1B, though, and that's probably where they will keep him. It's the most logical outcome, anyway.

On the closer issue, it seems JD was indicating he is more interested in good, less expensive relief pitching. So, a big spend on Wade Davis seems out of the question. IMHO, that makes sense. He only has four good relief pitchers, Bush and Kela from the right and Claudio and Diekman from the left. They need seven! So, I think they will spread the money around there with the Nicasio types. They will focus the bulk of their spending on the rotation. Even with a $155 million payroll, they have approximately $50 million to spend on pitching. They will spend it, and might make a trade, too. Guzman? Profar? I don't know, but I agree with you that if they do that it will be for pitching. It just doesn't seem likely either will be traded this winter.

Comment

Originally posted by Tythelip View Post

There's only one GM dumb enough to trade for Choo, and he works for us. I admit that the money is there to get pitching; I just don't see any of the top-flight starters signing here. We've been though this countless times on this board. They don't want to come to Arlington and pitch for the Rangers, and they'll take less money to pitch elsewhere. We can force them to come through trades, but when they have a choice; they choose to pitch for others.

I think the best chance we have is for the market for Cashner to be a little softer than he would like, and we money-whip him into a second 1-year, pillow deal (I know that's wishful thinking). We offer arbitration and then sign Griffin to a 1-year deal. Then we're down to trying to catch lightning in a bottle with a thirty-something retread or hoping that a talented pitcher makes an error in judgment. The farm is a little depleted to start hoping we could land a big arm or bat on the trade market. Maybe our latest draft classes will progress enough in 2018 to allow for a mid-season deal.
                            There are a lot of GM's that would go for Choo especially if the Rangers threw in cash. In terms of wRC, his 107 would have placed him at 4th among DH's and 12 among right fielders. Offensively, Choo would be a benefit to a lot of teams if the money was lowered by the Rangers kicking some in.

Comment

I challenge you or anyone else to find a better option than napoli. He has his warts, but there's very little out there as veteran backup 1B/DH with power. I'd take a chance on him rebounding if he agreed to 350 AB's and 1 yr $6 million
                              I agree that Napoli could rebound, he signed a fairly cheap deal and gave them what they were looking for, which was 30 HRs (roughly) and leadership. But the bottom fell out of his batting average, though that could rebound like you say.

Comment

I'm not sold on Abreau, he had a great season but he also had an 820 OPS season the year before. That is good, but not worth anywhere near the package you are listing. Also I wouldn't trade Guzman, he is going to be an excellent player.

Plus Abreau is Arb eligible this year so he is likely to take a major pay hike. On top of that he is already 30 years old.

Comment

Working...
                                X