No announcement yet.

Could be a wild offseason

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what do y'all think are realistic trade ideas that could happen this off-season

Comment

Originally posted by jerryred View Post
      what do y'all think are realistic trade ideas that could happen this off-season
      The only real holes are starter, closer and a RH bat. If a trade is made, I have to think it is for a starter because no one trades closers and when they do, its crazy expensive.

On the RH bat, what players are available that would be a good/cheap option to backup 1B and DH who are RH?

Comment

Originally posted by ProfarMVP View Post

I agree.

And signing Darvish and Arrieta would be loaded with risks. Darvish has pitched badly the past few months. Arrieta has been in decline the past two seasons and only pitched like a 3 or a 4 this season.

Both are on the wrong side of 30.

Our top 3 starters would all be over-priced and seemingly all 3 in decline.
        Darvish finished the season well. He had a solid August despite being more hittable than normal, and after two bad starts to open September, he allowed one earned run over his final 19.1 regular-season innings. He's still a really good major league starter and should be for the next several years.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy8517 View Post
          Darvish finished the season well. He had a good August, and after two bad starts to open September, he allowed one earned run over his final 19.1 regular-season innings. He's still a really good major league starter and should be for the next several years.
          19 innings hardly give us a definitive answer.

Darvish hasn't yet lost any notable velo, but the PitchFX shows he's not getting the same kind of movement on his pitches that he did a few years ago. Today's GM s look over pitchFX as much (more) than they look at ERA, FIP, etc.

By FIP and xFIP 2017 was Yu's worst year. By ERA it was almost his worst. That gets factored in as well.

I sure won't say Darvish will fail to be a successful pitcher over the next 5 years. There is, however a lot of risk. It's a statistical probability he will decline because as a group that's what pitchers generally do as they trek past age 30.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaisersoze View Post

On the RH bat, what players are available that would be a good/cheap option to backup 1B and DH who are RH?
            I challenge you or anyone else to find a better option than napoli. He has his warts, but there's very little out there as veteran backup 1B/DH with power. I'd take a chance on him rebounding if he agreed to 350 AB's and 1 yr $6 million

Comment

Cain
              Gomez

JD Martinez
              Justin Upton

Carlos Santana

or possibly a trade for a guy with 1 year left:
              Hunter Pence
              Andrew McCutchen

Honestly, there aren't any other names out there that fit our needs. A trade for a position player seems foolish too with our pitching needs.

If we strike out on the top of the pitching market I'd say we should go after Justin Upton(if he opts out) and go ahead and pay him the $100 million plus it will take

Comment

I predict this will be one of the most boring off-seasons in Rangers history. The only thing they will do is seek pitching. I figure we'll get a couple of good starting pitchers and shore up the bullpen.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Harrah View Post
                  I challenge you or anyone else to find a better option than napoli. He has his warts, but there's very little out there as veteran backup 1B/DH with power. I'd take a chance on him rebounding if he agreed to 350 AB's and 1 yr $6 million
                  I have serious doubts Napoli will even be in the MLB next year. I wouldn't give a minute's thought to bringing him back.

He had negative WAR in 2017 and turns 36 later this month. No thanks.

Comment

Cheap options:

Melky Cabrera(who might be the new worst fielder on the team, and that's saying something)

matt holliday (struck out 1/3 of the time)

napoli

granderson
                    Last edited by Toby Harrah; 10-04-2017, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ProfarMVP View Post

I have serious doubts Napoli will even be in the MLB next year. I wouldn't give a minute's thought to bringing him back.

He had negative WAR in 2017 and turns 36 later this month. No thanks.
                      Names. Give names to who we add. There's nobody unless we just go back out with what's already here. In that case we better sign Yu, otani and wade davis or it's a punt season

Comment

Originally posted by Flounder1 View Post
                        I predict this will be one of the most boring off-seasons in Rangers history. The only thing they will do is seek pitching. I figure we'll get a couple of good starting pitchers and shore up the bullpen.
                        Most likely we do little...or that we do some rebuilding, IMO.

I can dream on Ohtani and if signed...that might change team plans. But odds are against that.

Comment

Mark Reynolds played above-average defense at 1st

Comment

Originally posted by mingjungtc View Post
                            Mark Reynolds played above-average defense at 1st
                            I guess if he came cheap, but he struck out more times this year than Nap(although he did have more PA's)

Comment

Names. Give names to who we add. There's nobody unless we just go back out with what's already here. In that case we better sign Yu, otani and wade davis or it's a punt season
                              Gallo or Guzman are internal options. I haven't seen a list of free agents--offseason is just starting.

Comment

I like Naps, but he's done. The Rangers likely need more flexibility from a backup RH hitter than him also (meaning more than just 1B and DH). Most I would give him is a NRI at the major league veterans minimum, and not guarantee him any AB's.

Comment

Working...
                                X