Could be a wild offseason

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could be a wild offseason

if the goal of 2018 is to give Adrian Beltre his best shot at winning a WS title I've got the recipe for JD. It won't happen but I think it would be magical if it did.
    Here are the steps...
    Trade Choo for as much salary relief as possible. He is a serviceable player, but just doesn't fit this plan.
    Package Profar and Guzman and a throw in to CWS for Abreu. This gives them their CIF to match with Anderson and Moncada for years to come and adds a high average RH power bat to the middle of our line up.
    Sign Cain to a 4 year 72 million dollar deal with an option if he demands it.
    Sign Ohtani and Yu to be your 1&2 SP

As I understand it Texas has about 55-60 million to spend if you move Choo perhaps that goes as high as 65-70. Abreu cost 11, Cain 18, Ohtani 3 (I think that's about the max we can spend) Darvish 28. That leaves 5-10 for arb raises etc.

Lineup could be
    Cain CF
    Andrus SS
    Mazara RF
    Abreu 1B
    Beltre 3B
    Gallo LF
    Otani/ Calhoun DH
    Odor 2B
    Chirinis C

You lead off with5 guys who would hit over 20 bombs each and could all hit over 300. Then the bottom half starts with a 40 hr guy and has a 30 hr guy hitting 8th
    it looks like a division sign

I think we should go after Eric hosmer not Cain, get cashier back and otani and try to trade choo
    1. CF Delino Deshields
    2. SS Elvis Andrus
    3. 1B Eric Hosmer
    4. 3B Adrian Beltre
    5. RF Nomar Mazara
    6. DH Joey Gallo
    7. 2B Roughed Odor
    8. C Robinson Chirnios
    9. LF Willie Calhoun or choo

Comment

I don't hate the idea of Hosmer if it weren't for the fact we have Ronald Guzman who is a Hosmer starter kit. Not sure the extra $ to Hosmer would be worth the slight upgrade over Guzman

Comment

The Rangers don't need to pay a bunch of money to another lefty bat. If I was going to shell out some money for a bat, it would be for JD Martinez who is a righty power bat.

Comment

Originally posted by Redcap View Post
          The Rangers don't need to pay a bunch of money to another lefty bat. If I was going to shell out some money for a bat, it would be for JD Martinez who is a righty power bat.
          He's going to cost, and not sure where he'd fit defensively. But if you get a guy like that a palatable deal, you make it work.

Comment

Originally posted by Redcap View Post
            Martinez could be a great fit if the price was right, especially if Otani DH's a couple of days a week and Choo is traded.

Comment

I like the idea of JD Martinez, but I honestly think that Gallo and Mazara are slotted for the COF positions. Which means we need a good defensive CF to fill some of those gaps created by 2 average at best fielders in the OF. I think Cain brings that level of defense, hits RH, can bat in the top 3rd, and brings championship experience. He checks a lot of boxes. That said, I don't believe there is room for half measures. If you make one move like that you also have to get 2 SP that can be your 1&3 at worst but more realistically need to be your 1&2.

In my original scenario Abreu would be a luxury. If we did target JD Martinez to play a COF and be the RH power we need, I could see a scenario where Gallo plays 1st we go after Otani and we try to use Guzman, Profar, and Calhoun to nab a TORP with control. I don't know if it'd be enough to get it done but maybe TB would take those 3 as the centerpiece for a package that returns Archer and Mallex Smith to us.

The over riding point is, though, that in order to contend in 2018 more then one significant move needs to be made, and Texas seems to have the cash, some position prospects, and the opportunity to make those moves happen. I hope they do make it happen, cause that will make for a fun offseason.

Comment

I could be wrong, but I don't see the front office spending many resources on position players this offseason. There's just too much to be done with the pitching staff. And there are also two major league-ready players in the minors we need to find playing time for and a guy in DDJ who has earned a look in center field with his play.

I could see JD signing a couple of veteran bench players to hedge against the failure of a couple of the young players, but I see most of his attention being spent on rebuilding the rotation and fixing the bullpen.

Comment

While I don't know what to expect from this JD offseason, I do think the early bird gets the worm. One problem ... pitchers tend to wait for the most favorable deal, and that's the area he may concentrate upon.

Comment

Anyone who thinks we're going to be able to wave a bunch of ca$h and reacquire Yu, pick up Otani, and maybe even add Arrieta while JD's at it is dreaming (and probably smoking something in that dream). We're going to be shopping in the Cashner, Chacín, Chatwood, Cahill, etc. section trying to find somebody (anybody) who might be able to give us 25+ starts at a ~4.60 ERA. And don't forget we're also going to be trying to get bullpen arms at the same time.
                    When a team is at the bottom, the problem is usually at the top.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy8517 View Post
                      I could be wrong, but I don't see the front office spending many resources on position players this offseason. There's just too much to be done with the pitching staff. And there are also two major league-ready players in the minors we need to find playing time for and a guy in DDJ who has earned a look in center field with his play.

I could see JD signing a couple of veteran bench players to hedge against the failure of a couple of the young players, but I see most of his attention being spent on rebuilding the rotation and fixing the bullpen.
                      I agree with this

Comment

There is no doubt starting pitching is priority 1 and priority 2 this off season. They need to acquire at least 2 pitchers to fill spots in the top 3 of their rotation. I think they combo of money, track record, and interest in Otani makes us the front runners. Obviously no guarantee, but if you had to pick one team to get him right now, I think Texas is the most likely landing spot.

A while back a looked at the market for Yu Darvish in the offseason. It pretty much narrowed down to Tex, LAA, Sea, and maybe the Cubs as possible suitors. That is unless someone is willing to do something crazy that goes against the best interest for where their team is at right now. Certainly possible, but I wouldn't count on it.

A lot of cash is coming available, the payroll has increased every year the last 7 consecutive years (not jus marginally but by fairly sizeable chunks). I just don't see Texas taking the slow approach this winter. They will make moves, bring in SP and spend both capital assets and player assets. They understand Beltre has one year left here and they are not happy with how this year went. They have said repeteadly that 2018 is not a rebuild year. That means you have to add players who compliment this core's ability to win. You will see some big moves involving Texas or you will see Beltre playing in another teams uniform next year.

Comment

Originally posted by davidlay13 View Post
                          You will see some big moves involving Texas or you will see Beltre playing in another teams uniform next year.
                          “Adrian’s gonna be here next year and it’s not really a question,” Daniels told the Ben and Skin Show on 105.3 The Fan.

Daniels went on to reiterate his comments that the team wasn’t looking to rebuild and told Beltre that wasn’t the case. “It’s not really a conversation we’re going to have … Adrian’s a huge part today and really a big part of the future when you consider the impact he’s had on all these guys.”

“We’ve got quite a bit of work to do. We’re going to look at a variety of areas from free agency, minor league free agency, Rule 5 to trades, all of the above. We have some young guys in the system but for the most part, they’re not likely to be ready for opening day next year, and so that is going to be a clear priority for us to address this winter.”

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2017/10/03/r...k-next-season/

Comment

Originally posted by Tythelip View Post
                            Anyone who thinks we're going to be able to wave a bunch of ca$h and reacquire Yu, pick up Otani, and maybe even add Arrieta while JD's at it is dreaming (and probably smoking something in that dream). We're going to be shopping in the Cashner, Chacín, Chatwood, Cahill, etc. section trying to find somebody (anybody) who might be able to give us 25+ starts at a ~4.60 ERA. And don't forget we're also going to be trying to get bullpen arms at the same time.
                            I agree.

And signing Darvish and Arrieta would be loaded with risks. Darvish has pitched badly the past few months. Arrieta has been in decline the past two seasons and only pitched like a 3 or a 4 this season.

Both are on the wrong side of 30.

Our top 3 starters would all be over-priced and seemingly all 3 in decline.
                            Last edited by ProfarMVP; 10-03-2017, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tythelip View Post
                              Not really, the team has a minimum of 55 million to spend on pitching and Otani won't be expensive. Even if you give Cashner 15MM per season, sign Otani and pay Darvish 25MM per year you will still have money left over to put toward a closer or position player.

There is also a significant chance that Choo gets traded in a deal that frees up money.

Comment

Working...
                              X