Calhoun back in my Lineup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calhoun back in my Lineup

The last two games Calhoun has looked like a guy who has been in the league for several years. I've gone from my thinking he should start in AAA next year to thinking he should be the LF next year. Assuming the team can add a RH bat, do you go into next season assuming Calhoun is your LF?

I do. I'd still try to trade Choo in the offseason, so we can use first, left and DH to get Guzman, Calhoun and Gallo into the lineup every day next season. The sooner we let our two best position player prospects join the youth movement, the sooner they'll be ready to contribute to a contending team.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy8517 View Post
      I do. I'd still try to trade Choo in the offseason, so we can use first, left and DH to get Guzman, Calhoun and Gallo into the lineup every day next season. The sooner we let our two best position player prospects join the youth movement, the sooner they'll be ready to contribute to a contending team.
      I'm with this sentiment

Comment

I'd still start giving Elvis some time at third base (the only time he's played there is at an All-Star game and he relieved Beltre in that game). Do that with a promise to Profar that he has a path to starting at short and I think that would keep him happy. I kind of understand his feelings, Profar has been jerked all over the place when he really feels more comfortable in the middle infield and, specifically, shortstop. Gallo might be an adequate third baseman but nothing like I think Elvis could be.

Comment

Elvis is a top-10 shortstop. Moving him to make Profar happy makes no sense. If you want to give him second, fine, though I think it would be foolish to give up on Odor. But I'd trade I'd much rather trade Profar than jerk around with Elvis, who a) has played like all-star the last two years, b) would almost certainly exercise his opt-out clause if pushed over to third.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy8517 View Post
            Elvis is a top-10 shortstop. Moving him to make Profar happy makes no sense. If you want to give him second, fine, though I think it would be foolish to give up on Odor. But I'd trade I'd much rather trade Profar than jerk around with Elvis, who a) has played like all-star the last two years, b) would almost certainly exercise his opt-out clause if pushed over to third.
            I wouldn't move Elvis at all. He's a very good SS. Besides Beltre is the 3B in 2018. They will just need to plan getting him a lot of DH time and off days to try and keep him healthy.

Regardng Odor, if he has been uncoachable and remains so, then it's not foolish to move him. The sooner you do it the better. If he definitely has seen the error of his ways and is now willing to adjust and learn and take coaching, then hang onto him. We don't know which it is currently. It's pretty clear he has been uncoachable this season, but has there been a change? We do not know.

Comment

Unless he improves quite a bit, Gallo could have close to 30 errors in a full season at third base. Profar is a better defensive option at SS than Elvis and I think that Elvis would be better than Gallo at third.

Comment

Manny Machado is a free agent after Beltre's contract expires. That would be the guy that eye for 3rd or have Gallo take over. Profar has neither a better glove nor better bat than Andrus at short. I don't know why people make up these things.

Comment

C Chirinos
                  1B Gallo
                  2B Odor
                  3B Profar
                  SS Andrus
                  LF Calhoun
                  CF DeShields
                  RF Mazara
                  DH Beltre

Then put Otani at DH. Beltre to 3B. The best of Odor/Profar to 2B. The lesser of Odor/Profar to the bench. Midseason trade the lesser of Odor/Profar and bring up Guzman

Not a flashy lineup but it's possibly needed if we hit a home run in FA and bring in both Otani and Darvish plus other pitching

Comment

I'm pretty sure nobody is going to take Choo's contract. My knee-jerk assessment where I coined the phrase "Choo is poo™" after the 2013 season has unfortunately come to fruition. Good thing we only owe him $62 million for the next three years. Other than a refusal to see the blatant truth that Stinky doesn't even want to try to become a better ballplayer, there's no reason to keep him starting. We can go with Gallo, Profar, Elvis, and Adrián on the infield, Calhoun, DDJ, and Mazara across the outfield and Chirinos, Choo at C, DH. I know that looks like a left leaning lineup, but it's 4R/4L/1S split right down the middle with arguably our two best hitters swinging from the right. With a rotation of Hamels, Pérez, Griffin, ?, ? and a bullpen of Claudio, Bush, Leclerc, Barnette, Kela, Diekman, ? there's still plenty of winter work for JD.
                    When a team is at the bottom, the problem is usually at the top.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Harrah View Post
                      C Chirinos
                      1B Gallo
                      2B Odor
                      3B Profar
                      SS Andrus
                      LF Calhoun
                      CF DeShields
                      RF Mazara
                      DH Beltre
                      OK, but you get to tell Beltre he isn't playing 3B while I hide in an underground bunker.

I think Profar is the 2B or traded, IMO Gallo is the 3B whenever Beltre retires. Beltre has slowed down but he is still above average defensively.

Comment

Originally posted by Tythelip View Post
                        I'm pretty sure nobody is going to take Choo's contract.
                        Someone will take Choo's contract, just not all of it. If the Rangers pay half of it there would be multiple bidders.

Kendry Morales is a much worse player and he got a three year contract that averages 11 MM per year, that is about Choo would be if we paid half of the 62 mill he is owed.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaisersoze View Post

OK, but you get to tell Beltre he isn't playing 3B while I hide in an underground bunker.

I think Profar is the 2B or traded, IMO Gallo is the 3B whenever Beltre retires. Beltre has slowed down but he is still above average defensively.
                          If Otani DH's roughly 1/3-1/2 of the time then that puts Beltre in the field for 70 games or whatever. I don't think he would be angry about that. I'll gladly tell Odor or Profar that one of them gets to ride pine on a regular basis

Side question though, how else does Otani DH? He can't do it every day, so how else would he be accommodated in the lineup?

Theres not an ideal solution. And Choo, Deshields and Mazara all in the outfield at the same time makes me want to barf

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Harrah View Post

If Otani DH's roughly 1/3-1/2 of the time then that puts Beltre in the field for 70 games or whatever. I don't think he would be angry about that. I'll gladly tell Odor or Profar that one of them gets to ride pine on a regular basis

Side question though, how else does Otani DH? He can't do it every day, so how else would he be accommodated in the lineup?

Theres not an ideal solution. And Choo, Deshields and Mazara all in the outfield at the same time makes me want to barf

If we sign Otani and they promise him DH ABs, I think it will be for something like 3 games out of 4 with one of the regulars taking that spot on the days Otani does not DH.

If they sign Otani, I think Choo is traded for sure. If they don't, I think he stays because we need guys with his level of OBP. But DH him for sure, he should only play OF in emergencies. But I think Deshields is fine in the OF in either CF or LF, he improved a ton by the end of the season.

Comment

MLB Awards: Here are way-too-early Rookie of the Year candidates for next season

American League

OF Willie Calhoun, Rangers: Calhoun, 23, was the centerpiece of the Yu Darvish trade and the kid is a hitting machine. He put up a .300/.355/.572 batting line with 31 homers and a microscopic 11.4 percent strikeout rate in 128 games this season before getting a September call-up. Pretty much everyone agrees Calhoun will hit. Where will he play defensively? No one knows for certain. Calhoun has spent most of his career at second base, though he played left field with Texas and could very well end up at DH. His Rookie of the Year case will be built around his bat, and it's an awfully good bat.

Other notables: OF Lewis Brinson, Brewers

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/m...r-next-season/

Comment

Working...
                              X