Why Not Sit Odor?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kaisersoze View Post

Also looking at the five guys you mention, I think the team defense would improve just by leaving each of them at one position all season.
    He's counting on Odor the most. I believe it to mean too that Profar isn't being considered

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy8517 View Post

If we're going to go with DeShields in center, which is my preference, I think we need to add a veteran fourth outfielder with center field experience. The good news is there are a lot of those guys on the market this offseason, and we should be able to get one relatively cheaply. Any of Austin Jackson, Jarrod Dyson, Jon Jay, Peter Bourjous or Rajai Davis would work. Ben Revere and Craig Gentry are out there as well, but though Revere's glove and Gentry's bat aren't what they once were.
      Anything wrong with Hoying?

Comment

Originally posted by Redcap View Post

Fangraphs uses Ultimate zone rating which is probably better than regular ZR. Here's the link on their defensive stats on Odor.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx...on=2B#fielding
        I looked all over that page and couldn't find dWAR. I even clicked Fielding on that page and couldn't find it on the page that came up. Find On Page dWAR turns up "no result" on either page. So, I'm sticking to Baseball Reference who says Odor has a positive 0.8 dWAR for this season.

Comment

OK, y'all just keep arguing and making stuff up. I played disc golf all day and still haven't had dinner. I'm going to go find a giant hamburger somewhere. I'm too week to cook right now and all worn out. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Flounder1 View Post

I looked all over that page and couldn't find dWAR. I even clicked Fielding on that page and couldn't find it on the page that came up. Find On Page dWAR turns up "no result" on either page. So, I'm sticking to Baseball Reference who says Odor has a positive 0.8 dWAR for this season.

Here's the comparison between second basemen according to fangraphs. Again, they use a more advanced metric for defense than does baseball reference.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...ter=&players=0

Comment

Except for the fact that he was dropped from the Rangers' 40 man roster and can't hit in the majors? He's might be an ok 5th outfielder but is AAA roster filler.

Comment

He's not a major league player.

Comment

Originally posted by Redcap View Post

Here's the comparison between second basemen according to fangraphs. Again, they use a more advanced metric for defense than does baseball reference.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...ter=&players=0
                  OK, I don't see any dWAR there either. What I see is him tied for fifth in defensive runs saved (DRS). Defensive Runs Saved (DRS) is a baseball statistic that measures the number of runs a player saved or cost his team on defense relative to an average player. Being fifth at second base in DRS is not too shabby at all. He has a positive dWAR, until you find where fangraphs or anyone else says he does not. BR says it's a positive 0.8. I showed you that. Why do you keep arguing with me?

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy8517 View Post

He's not a major league player.
                    Well, Redcap says he's been dropped, anyway. We're not talking about having a great major league player to back up DeShields. We are only talking about having a defensive replacement. Hoying is a decent defender who makes all the plays in CF. He just hasn't batted very well. You are right we could probably do better than that for that role. Besides, Deshields has improved.

I agree with Kaiser that simply assigning these guys permanent jobs and leaving them in their positions will improve the defense some. It's going to come together as far as the every day players are concerned. I'm not worried about that at all. I'm worried about pitching deals. We need to make some good deals on pitching. JD is well aware of that, and it's his stated goal this winter. He, Banister, Beltre and Andrus strongly believe in our batting lineup. I don't think that's just hype. They know what the players we have are capable of doing and wouldn't all be focused on pitching as they have stated if that was not their number one concern. It's my concern, too.

One might say, well, of course they are going to say good things about their team. If that's the case, then why at they saying bad things about the pitching? And, yeah, they have. All four have said they need to get better pitching. They have all expressed confidence in the batting, though. Defense? Well, I have not read comments on that, and we all know it needs to improve. But, it really should with all our young players working so hard. What really needs to get better is the pitching, and that is all they are focusing on this winter.

Comment

Working...
                    X