Why Not Sit Odor?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Not Sit Odor?

Used to post frequently, but elected to be a lurker the past few years....

This past week has me frustrated enough to speak.

With the season effectively over, Rangers management chooses to sit Joey Gallo against Dallas Keuchel while trotting out Roughned Odor to play second. Gallo has improved dramatically this year, he is key starter for years to come, the Astros are our chief rival, and Keuchel their best pitcher. Dance with the ones that brought you. Oh--and Gallo has 39 home runs and is playing at home. Number 40 would be cool in a lost season. Gallo continues to improve--time to take off the protective gear and let him face the league's best lefties.

Meanwhile, I read an article in the Star-Telegram about Odor playing 162 games. He has hit .165 since the start of August, consistently giving poor at-bats. He had a great month of July--but, take away the 25 games of that month--and he may have the worst season of a MLB starting player in history. I understand that he gives max effort--and perhaps there is an unknown injury--but, at some point, performance should have consequences. Sit for a day or two to work on your approach?

Surely the drama with Jurickson Profar somehow ties into Odor. The Rangers clearly sent Profar a message by not calling him up in September. But has Odor received any message this season? As a fan, I see only a player who has not made adjustments and has contributed mightily to a disappointing season. Personally, I think he should sit one of the final games. Give him something to stew over during the off-season. To play 162 should be symbolic of a player of such value that the team is better with them on the field even if the player is not 100 percent (think Adrian Beltre). Odor is not a 162-game player at this stage of his career.

There may be an unknown injury or personal situation that Rangers' management knows that we don't, but--on the surface--it looks terrible. We need to find a bench player to spell Odor next season if he can't discover the groove that gave us last season and this year's month of July.

Originally posted by Lascivo View Post

With the season effectively over, Rangers management chooses to sit Joey Gallo against Dallas Keuchel while trotting out Roughned Odor to play second. Gallo has improved dramatically this year, he is key starter for years to come, the Astros are our chief rival, and Keuchel their best pitcher. Dance with the ones that brought you. Oh--and Gallo has 39 home runs and is playing at home. Number 40 would be cool in a lost season. Gallo continues to improve--time to take off the protective gear and let him face the league's best lefties.

Meanwhile, I read an article in the Star-Telegram about Odor playing 162 games. He has hit .165 since the start of August, consistently giving poor at-bats. He had a great month of July--but, take away the 25 games of that month--and he may have the worst season of a MLB starting player in history. I understand that he gives max effort--and perhaps there is an unknown injury--but, at some point, performance should have consequences. Sit for a day or two to work on your approach?

Surely the drama with Jurickson Profar somehow ties into Odor. The Rangers clearly sent Profar a message by not calling him up in September. But has Odor received any message this season? As a fan, I see only a player who has not made adjustments and has contributed mightily to a disappointing season. Personally, I think he should sit one of the final games. Give him something to stew over during the off-season. To play 162 should be symbolic of a player of such value that the team is better with them on the field even if the player is not 100 percent (think Adrian Beltre). Odor is not a 162-game player at this stage of his career.

There may be an unknown injury or personal situation that Rangers' management knows that we don't, but--on the surface--it looks terrible. We need to find a bench player to spell Odor next season if he can't discover the groove that gave us last season and this year's month of July.
    Unfortunately, I think it's too late for this to have any effect. The time to send this message passed months ago. I hope there's a method to the madness we've seen with Odor this season, but it is hard to figure it out from the outside.

Comment

The reason that the Rangers didn't call up Profar wasn't to send a message but to gain extra control time.

Comment

It's too late for mind games. Starting the off-season, the Rangers are going to have to completely reteach him a better approach at the plate. Odor is a product of a player who was forced to play too early because of a bad trade made years ago with Kinsler and a prospect who failed to stay healthy or even be productive at the major league level in Profar. He was allowed to get by with his natural abilities, but he has hit a road block; the Rangers are going to have to coach him out of it. Both sides deserve the blame.

Comment

Originally posted by Lascivo
          Used to post frequently, but elected to be a lurker the past few years.... This past week has me frustrated enough to speak. With the season effectively over, Rangers management chooses to sit Joey Gallo against Dallas Keuchel while trotting out Roughned Odor to play second. Gallo has improved dramatically this year, he is key starter for years to come, the Astros are our chief rival, and Keuchel their best pitcher. Dance with the ones that brought you. Oh--and Gallo has 39 home runs and is playing at home. Number 40 would be cool in a lost season. Gallo continues to improve--time to take off the protective gear and let him face the league's best lefties. Meanwhile, I read an article in the Star-Telegram about Odor playing 162 games. He has hit .165 since the start of August, consistently giving poor at-bats. He had a great month of July--but, take away the 25 games of that month--and he may have the worst season of a MLB starting player in history. I understand that he gives max effort--and perhaps there is an unknown injury--but, at some point, performance should have consequences. Sit for a day or two to work on your approach? Surely the drama with Jurickson Profar somehow ties into Odor. The Rangers clearly sent Profar a message by not calling him up in September. But has Odor received any message this season? As a fan, I see only a player who has not made adjustments and has contributed mightily to a disappointing season. Personally, I think he should sit one of the final games. Give him something to stew over during the off-season. To play 162 should be symbolic of a player of such value that the team is better with them on the field even if the player is not 100 percent (think Adrian Beltre). Odor is not a 162-game player at this stage of his career. There may be an unknown injury or personal situation that Rangers' management knows that we don't, but--on the surface--it looks terrible. We need to find a bench player to spell Odor next season if he can't discover the groove that gave us last season and this year's month of July.
          You are on the money. What a joke that Odor was allowed to play 162 games. I'm like you, that should have meaning behind it. All they did was turn it into a joke. I brought this up in a different thread but it seems all people are worried about is his hitting... The guy SUCKS as a second baseman. The really bad thing is I love the kid!! But wow! The Rangers have dropped the ball where he is concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by RangersBamBam View Post
            It's too late for mind games. Starting the off-season, the Rangers are going to have to completely reteach him a better approach at the plate. Odor is a product of a player who was forced to play too early because of a bad trade made years ago with Kinsler and a prospect who failed to stay healthy or even be productive at the major league level in Profar. He was allowed to get by with his natural abilities, but he has hit a road block; the Rangers are going to have to coach him out of it. Both sides deserve the blame.
            First, Odor has to recognize that he has an issue. Like I've heard, he goes to the plate to hit and not worry about walks.

Comment

He's now appeared in all 159 games since Banny decided to use him as a pinch hitter. At least he's got durability on his side? Ugh.

I think I saw somewhere that he knows he has royally sucked this season and is determined to get better in the off season. Same story for a good number of players, but I'm willing to wait out Odor for at least another half season or so. I know the fans here in Profar's camp won't like that, but I think the writing is on the wall that he will be traded this off season, for better or worse.

Comment

Welcome back.

I think its a combination of things, I think they committed to giving him the year to turn things around and then at the trade deadline they decided they weren't bringing Profar up so they could avoid an extra year of arbitration with him.

But your scenario that their is some hidden issue could also be the case, its hard to believe they felt the net return was worth it this year.

Comment

I think you are right, Lascivo, the Rangers should be playing Gallo every day. JD gave up on the season at the trade deadline and decided to restart Profar's clock next season. He committed a ton of money to Odor, so that's why he's making Banister play him every day. None of this is totally Banister's decision. JD is weighing in on it, for certain, and a lot.

The team had a lot of unexpected misfortunes this season, so I'm not ready to fire JD. I'm willing to give him one more season. He's got a great core, some talented young players who are already contributing, made a fancy deal for Calhoun and has some guys on the farm he could trade. Lots of salary flexibility, too. So, he should be able to put together a great team this winter and we'll see them win a bunch of games in 2018. With the Division leader being a weak team like the Astros, there's not reason the Rangers can't win their Division next year.

Comment

wow your loyalty to banister is over the top. He is at least a big of problem as the talent on the team. he does very little in day to day management of the ream. he sticks with the same lineup almost every day. he does not use matchups during the game. players written in the lineup rarely are changed for matchups so they get their precious rest

Comment

Originally posted by rainag
                      wow your loyalty to banister is over the top. He is at least a big of problem as the talent on the team. he does very little in day to day management of the ream. he sticks with the same lineup almost every day. he does not use matchups during the game. players written in the lineup rarely are changed for matchups so they get their precious rest
                      I agree... Bannister's use of the bullpen should at least be addressed by JD. I wouldn't mind a new pitching coach for next season.

Comment

LOL. Banister didn't have a bullpen to work with. Dyson was trash. Hausman a joke. Bush not closer material. Leclerc on the DL. He had no choice but to overuse Barnette and Jeffress in unoptimal situations. Give me a break. We went over this early on the season and you learned nothing. We constantly asked you who Banister could use, and you could not give an intelligemt answer. Get a clue.

Comment

Originally posted by Flounder1 View Post
                          I think you are right, Lascivo, the Rangers should be playing Gallo every day. JD gave up on the season at the trade deadline and decided to restart Profar's clock next season. He committed a ton of money to Odor, so that's why he's making Banister play him every day. None of this is totally Banister's decision. JD is weighing in on it, for certain, and a lot.

The team had a lot of unexpected misfortunes this season, so I'm not ready to fire JD. I'm willing to give him one more season. He's got a great core, some talented young players who are already contributing, made a fancy deal for Calhoun and has some guys on the farm he could trade. Lots of salary flexibility, too. So, he should be able to put together a great team this winter and we'll see them win a bunch of games in 2018. With the Division leader being a weak team like the Astros, there's not reason the Rangers can't win their Division next year.
                          JD isn't making Banister play anyone. That's the manager's decision.

Comment

No, it's not. Banister can only play the people on the team. Ultimately, JD decides that.

Comment

It's unfortunate that the best thing that could have happened to the Rangers was for a player to get injured..but that was the case with Odor. However, he did have a positive dWAR.. More than anything, that just shows you that defensive metrics are still a huge work in progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X