Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Our 2018 Left Fielder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Redcap View Post

    There's plenty to do with him. He's young and his contract isn't that horrible (nothing like Choo's) that some other team wouldn't want to take a flyer on him. I'd bet if the Rangers DFA'ed him he wouldn't pass through waivers.
    Odor's contract may be worse than Choo's. At least Choo is a valuable hitter and his contract isn't hindering Choo's or anyone else's development. Odor can't hit or play the field. He's young, but being young is about the only thing he's done well this season. If it weren't for Odor's contract, The Dude fully believes Odor would be in AAA right now to the benefit of everyone: Texas, Odor, and Profar.

    Comment


    • #32
      I have a notion that LF may be manned by Mazara. All factors that would make this happen are of course guesswork.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by edcoffin View Post
        I have a notion that LF may be manned by Mazara. All factors that would make this happen are of course guesswork.
        Is that a segue to a Giancarlo Stanton thread?

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by RangersBamBam View Post

          Thanks for pointing out facts unlike other posters who seem intent on name calling.
          I just reread my post and I'm sorry you took that as name calling. I didn't mean it that way. I'm sorry. I just used it to mean that TR Sullivan has a great reputation. Despite what he posted in the last 24 hours, last week he was saying the Ranger may move on from Odor.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Kaisersoze View Post

            Is that a segue to a Giancarlo Stanton thread?
            Yes, without a lot of confidence. As much as it would create a three batter power monster in the middle of the lineup, I'd limit the probability to about 15%. The financial is possible, the player content should not be real difficult, the flexibility is there (Bob and Ray), but the Marlins' actual desire to deal him is really questionable, in my opinion.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by RangerDude2016 View Post

              Odor's contract may be worse than Choo's. At least Choo is a valuable hitter and his contract isn't hindering Choo's or anyone else's development. Odor can't hit or play the field. He's young, but being young is about the only thing he's done well this season. If it weren't for Odor's contract, The Dude fully believes Odor would be in AAA right now to the benefit of everyone: Texas, Odor, and Profar.
              Everybody needs to chill out on all the Odor contract talk. It's the Elvis Andrus situation all over again.

              Rougie has been atrocious this season, but he's only making $1,333,334 and will make just $3,333,334 next year. If he only ever returns to what he was in 2015 or 2016, he's well worth that, the $7,833,333 he's owed in 2019 or even the $9,333,333 he's due in 2020. His contract, while high for his current production, never gets exorbitant, even in the final years. And it's very affordable until then.

              I have a feeling this will be very much like the Elvis situation. Everybody pisses and moans for years about what an albatross this contract is, ignores the fact that the big money hasn't even kicked in yet and then watches Odor take a big step forward once it does.

              I don't know if it's intended for this reason or not, but JD's smart to structure these contracts the way he does. Many young players struggle the first year or two of a big, multi-year deal. By back-loading those, you give a player time to adjust to his new situation before the you're really on the hook for those dollars. By the time Elvis' contract really kicked in, he was finally reemerging as an impact player. I could see the exact same thing happening with Odor, and all the people b!tching about his contract now will change their tune when it does.

              Comment


              • #37
                The problem is that the Rangers are going to trade away a fine, young infielder who may live up to his #1 prospect status with another team while Odor struggles the next 5 years.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Ian Kinsler was traded away to give Profar a chance and people believed Kinsler had the worst contract and would struggles the next 5 years. Rougned Odor was rushed to major because nobody could fill the 2nd base. If the team believe 2018 will be a rebuilding year, developing young players, both Odor and Profar, will help the Rangers better.
                  Last edited by mingjungtc; 09-23-2017, 03:30 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    I think opening day 2019 Elvis Andrus will be at 3B, Profar SS, Odor still at 2B and Gallo at 1B. You heard it here first.

                    I think Ming is correct that keeping both Profar and Odor is the best plan for 2018 and beyond, now that I ponder it. Profar was only held off the MLB club so much this season so we could get an extra year of arbitration. Just because he failed as supersub before does not mean he can't be a fine one in 2018.

                    This opens up some interesting trade possibilities, but likely not this winter. Later. The everyday players seem set for 2018.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Flounder1 View Post
                      I think opening day 2019 Elvis Andrus will be at 3B, Profar SS, Odor still at 2B and Gallo at 1B. You heard it here first.

                      I think Ming is correct that keeping both Profar and Odor is the best plan for 2018 and beyond, now that I ponder it. Profar was only held off the MLB club so much this season so we could get an extra year of arbitration. Just because he failed as supersub before does not mean he can't be a fine one in 2018.

                      This opens up some interesting trade possibilities, but likely not this winter. Later. The everyday players seem set for 2018.
                      I think it would be more likely Profar at 3B. This would be if we got Otani. Elvis is elite defensively at SS. Odor at 2B. Gallo at 1B. 100% of the DH at bats would be split between Beltre and Otani. With the lesser of Profar or Odor sitting out on days Beltre plays in the field. An outfield of Calhoun, DeShields and Mazara. Choo traded. Only acquisitions needed to make this happen would be getting Otani, Darvish and Cashner. Plus a couple under the radar bullpen pieces

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        However, I think that Profar would be even better defensively than Andrus at short.

                        edit: darn spell correction wouldn't let me spell Andrus.
                        Last edited by Redcap; 09-24-2017, 09:07 AM.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          I don"t think Beltre will be here in 2019, but maybe he will if we move Choo and can sign Beltre to a new contract.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X