Our 2018 Left Fielder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our 2018 Left Fielder

I go back and forth on whether to start Calhoun and Guzman in the majors or AAA next year, but I had a brilliant idea to put DDJ in CF and Odor in LF next year. Actually I had that idea right after I read Doug propose it before the season.

But if you did it, there is no rush to bring up Calhoun and Odor can rebuild his value. If Odor tanks, you haven't lost much from what his value is now anyway.

And maybe forcing the move would have the same shock to his ego as a change of scenery trade.

I was thinking about this as well. They can have Profar at 2B. Although, there is some rumor that Profar only want to play SS. Odor is still young. It took DDJ two offseasons to find out what would be the best shape for him. Let see if Odor can figure it out. Elvis Andrus and Adrian Beltre both received huge contracts in their mid-20s and then immediately struggled to live up to them.

"You don't understand what it does to your head," Andrus said "I don't care what people say: Automatically, a thing goes off in your brain that says: 'OK, I can -- and have to -- do more.'"

Comment

Originally posted by mingjungtc View Post
      I was thinking about this as well. They can have Profar at 2B. Although, there is some rumor that Profar only want to play SS. Odor is still young.
      Yup, plus adding Profar helps take care of the LH tilt of the team. And Odor's skills seem a lot more geared to an OF spot, which I think was Doug's point from the beginning.

Comment

I'd prefer to have a left fielder who can actually hit. Odor hasn't shown anything this year except for one month... July.

Comment

Originally posted by Redcap View Post
          I'd prefer to have a left fielder who can actually hit. Odor hasn't shown anything this year except for one month... July.
          Agreed. Corner outfielders usually where top run producers are found. Odor isn't even a decent run producer right now...not even an acceptable MLB hitter.

Comment

Destinations for top-25 free agents-to-be

2. Jake Arrieta, Cubs SP. Itís harder to guess with a pitcher, especially one whoís expected to find a new team such as Arrieta. His big second half before going down with a calf injury should mean heís priced out for several teams. Heís certainly been pretty good at Dodger Stadium in the past, so that could be a possibility. The big question is whoíll get more between Arrieta and Darvish, and here are the key factors:

Darvish is seen as having better stuff and an international following, while Arrieta has come up bigger in big games, has fewer innings as a pro counting even Arrietaís first career in Japan and never has had major arm surgery.

Best Guess: Dodgers, Rangers, Cardinals.

3. Yu Darvish, Dodgers SP. Itís believed it wonít be his old Rangers team, and heís been seen as just a rental with the Dodgers (while Clayton Kershaw can opt out after next year, itís hard to see him leaving).

Best Guess: Red Sox, Cardinals, Mariners.

10. Lance Lynn, Cardinals SP. The Cardinals have more pitching coming, so itís hard to see them outbidding others, and his solid season has put him in a pretty good position. A mid-market team like the Mariners could make sense, so perhaps he joins his old rotation-mate there.

Best Guess: Mariners, Rangers, Red Sox.

11. Lorenzo Cain, Royals OF. Yet another top Royals free agent, he should do well off another exceptional year. Though, the expectation is that he will do better elsewhere.

ďHeís gone,Ē said one person familiar with past negotiations, which ended with the sides far apart.

Joc Pederson has struggled this year, so maybe L.A. could work. With Carlos Gomez a free agent, perhaps Texas could find a spot for him.

Best Guesses: Dodgers, Rangers.

22. Carlos Gomez, Rangers OF. Heís upped his on-base percentage substantially in his full season in Texas, and that should help.

Best Guess: Orioles, Giants.

https://www.fanragsports.com/inside-...-agents-to-be/

Comment

11. Lorenzo Cain, Royals OF. Yet another top Royals free agent, he should do well off another exceptional year. Though, the expectation is that he will do better elsewhere.
              I would to see the Rangers get two top starters, I disagree about Darvish not considering the Rangers. I would love to see the two guys as Darvish and Otani, but there are plenty of good options on the market.

Also I like Lorenzo Cain, but his OPS is 17 points higher than Gomez but his total contract will probably be four or five times as much. At those prices, I'm rolling with DDJ in CF.

Comment

Originally posted by Redcap View Post
                Its a given that if the Rangers don't think he will rebound, they will trade him. The thread is on the assumption that the team thinks he will improve and they bring him back.

Comment

I think it give the Rangers a chance to see if Profar and/or Odor will rebound. If they trade one of them, there is no guarantee that the other one will do well. Trade them now is selling low. You also get better trade value if both play well and you have to pick one.
                  Last edited by mingjungtc; 09-21-2017, 04:15 PM.

Comment

I think it give the Rangers a chance to see if Profar and/or Odor will rebound. If they trade one of them, there is no guarantee that the other one will do well. Trade team now is selling low. You also get better trade value if both play well and you have to pick one.
                    Profar is out of options though. And neither has the ceiling of Calhoun. I think it comes down to if we think Odor is coachable. If he is then we work with him all offseason and next year to improve, trade Profar. If internally we don't think so then we dump him for nothing and take a chance on Profar. Odor in LF doesn't solve any problems, actually makes things worse

Comment

Odor in LF give Profar, like you say is out of options, a chance to show the Rangers he can play well in major, which is no guarantee. It also gives Calhoun more time to learn LF, which he hasnít play for long time, in AAA. I think the way Rangers playing Odor so much indicates that both coaches and his teammates believe he is coachable. You can always call up Calhoun and put Odor in AAA or trade him. This will give the Rangers more flexibility.

The Rangers should spend their money on pitching, but if they sign Lorenzo Cain, the plan for Odor will changed.
                      Last edited by mingjungtc; 09-20-2017, 12:31 PM.

Comment

The Dude may end up under estimating Calhoun, just as he underestimated Gallo when he advocated he spend most or all of the season in AAA. However, Calhound ought to spend some time in AAA next year. Calhoun needs more time in the OF before being brought up for an extended period of time. If anyone should be forced to learn the OF in the MLB, it's Odor.

If they roll out of spring training with an outfield of Calhoun, DDJ, and Mazara, that may be the weakest defensive OF in baseball. If they have that OF and keep Odor at 2B, they may compete for the weakest defense in the league.
                        Last edited by RangerDude2016; 09-20-2017, 02:48 PM.

Comment

You can always call up Calhoun and put Odor in AAA...
                          The Dude sincerely doubts that this is possible. I think his new contract nullifies his options. He has been so awful all year long, The Dude would have hoped they would have sent him to AAA a long time ago.

Comment

Odor in LF give Profar, like you say is out of options, a chance to show the Rangers he can play well in major, which is no guarantee. It also gives Calhoun more time to learn LF, which he hasnít play for long time, in AAA. I think the way Rangers playing Odor so much indicates that both coaches and his teammates believe he is coachable. You can always call up Calhoun and put Odor in AAA or trade him. This will give the Rangers more flexibility.

The Rangers should spend their money on pitching, but if they sign Lorenzo Cain, the plan for Odor will changed.
                            Then we made a mistake bringing up Calhoun and adding him to the 40 if the plan is to have him in AAA the first half of the year. I just don't see either Odor or Profar as having any value outside of 2B. It should all get cleared up when one is traded. It's even questionable that DeShields has value as a LF. The corner positions must bring their bat to the ballpark. Calhoun has more value than all of them

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Harrah View Post

Then we made a mistake bringing up Calhoun and adding him to the 40 if the plan is to have him in AAA the first half of the year. I just don't see either Odor or Profar as having any value outside of 2B. It should all get cleared up when one is traded. It's even questionable that DeShields has value as a LF. The corner positions must bring their bat to the ballpark. Calhoun has more value than all of them

Calhoun was told that he wonít be called up. The Rangers were forced to bring him up because injury.

Teams know Profar and Odor can play 2B. The Rangers need to let them show they can rebound and hit in major.

Comment

Working...
                              X