Never before (Tom Grieve)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never before (Tom Grieve)

We can be quite sure that club announcers around the league are gently advised not to ride too hard on umpires and bad calls.

The Ranger announcers might allude to some "tough" calls that "didn't quite go the Rangers way" or talk about the inevitable breaks of baseball. Then came tonight. Tom Grieve tonight repeatedly was so miffed w/the umpire that he basically conveyed, "I know I shouldn't criticize the umps--but fk it." In multiple innings he decried the inconsistent and outrageous calls at home plate by generic ******* 381. I lost track of how many bad calls there were...Tom kept saying, "No way that was a strike." And by no means was the strike zone giganormous for both pitchers. Ranger pitchers got squeezed a number of times.

The calls were clearly stealing any enjoyment Tom had with the game...as well as his normal focus on the broadcast and the sport. I was so disgusted I turned it off.

I'm not going to suggest the Rangers would have won the game w/out such generous help from the men in black. But we'll never know.
    Last edited by ProfarMVP; 09-12-2017, 11:01 PM.

Jeff Nelson. He's not the worst umpire in the league by reputation, not at all. But he had such a bad day even I was grumbling loudly about out of zone strike calls. Banny got tossed for 'consulting' with him about it. It had little to nothing to do with a win or a loss, but was possibly the most outrageous difference between calls for one team versus the other I have seen. And I used to umpire, when I was younger and more fit. NCAA Div II, NAIA II and III, Iowa and Nebraska high schools, and ASA state and regional fast pitch championships. I would have asked Jeff tonight if he would 't like to buy a ticket, since he wasn't going to work the game. Yeah, TAG should have muted it but I think he was at least equally surprised by Jeff Nelson's sudden fit of baseball dyslexia.

Comment

Originally posted by edcoffin View Post
      Jeff Nelson. He's not the worst umpire in the league by reputation, not at all. But he had such a bad day even I was grumbling loudly about out of zone strike calls. Banny got tossed for 'consulting' with him about it. It had little to nothing to do with a win or a loss, but was possibly the most outrageous difference between calls for one team versus the other I have seen. And I used to umpire, when I was younger and more fit. NCAA Div II, NAIA II and III, Iowa and Nebraska high schools, and ASA state and regional fast pitch championships. I would have asked Jeff tonight if he would 't like to buy a ticket, since he wasn't going to work the game. Yeah, TAG should have muted it but I think he was at least equally surprised by Jeff Nelson's sudden fit of baseball dyslexia.
      Yup. It was outrageous.

I was proud of Tom. Positively proud of him. He was a man of honor for speaking up. He'll probably get blasted for it behind the scenes but he didn't back down.

It's one thing if there are some bad calls. This was something different. This umpire clearly was acting with intent.

Comment

Anthony Andro @aandro
        Jeff Nelson got creative with the strike zone on Gallo. By creative, I mean like a 4-year-old with paint.

Evan Grant @Evan_P_Grant
        Jeff Banister has been ejected by Jeff Nelson the umpire. It was not even an exciting ejection or argument.

Comment

Originally posted by mingjungtc View Post
          Anthony Andro @aandro
          Jeff Nelson got creative with the strike zone on Gallo. By creative, I mean like a 4-year-old with paint.

Evan Grant @Evan_P_Grant
          Jeff Banister has been ejected by Jeff Nelson the umpire. It was not even an exciting ejection or argument.
          Yea, it wasn't exciting at all. Banny should have gotten his money's worth out of it by getting in his face with spittle flying into the ump's face and kicking some dirt on his shoes.

Comment

As bad as that ump was, in the grand scheme of things, it really didn't make a lot of difference when your starter gives up 7 runs.

Comment

Working...
            X