Willie!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flounder1 View Post
    If you've seen Calhoun in interviews, he's really a good guy, very likeable. All the coaches like him, and he works really hard. I think JD found a winner.
    Likeable is a plus. In right field he looks like a fidgety kid playing a softball game. I keep thinking he's going to pull out his iPhone or some jerky to chew on.

Comment

We may see some ejections this evening. Perhaps an assault and battery on the ump in the parking lot after the game.

Comment

Originally posted by ProfarMVP
        We may see some ejections this evening. Perhaps an assault and battery on the ump in the parking lot after the game.
        And he's out of there. Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Redcap View Post
          And he's out of there. Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
          Banny won't be the last ejection. There have been 15-18 pitches the ump has missed to kill the Rangers hopes tonight.

**** umps. I want them unemployed.

Comment

June w/Pretty nice catch in right

Comment

So far, so good on Willie Rakes. You can see the bat skills even if he went 1 - 4 but (in some ways more importantly) he looks like he can handle LF. He can cover enough ground and like TepidP said, he doesn't have a strong arm but he is very accurate with throws from the OF. The injury to Beltre could be a blessing in disguise if it lets Calhoun establish himself for next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaisersoze View Post
                So far, so good on Willie Rakes. You can see the bat skills even if he went 1 - 4 but (in some ways more importantly) he looks like he can handle LF. He can cover enough ground and like TepidP said, he doesn't have a strong arm but he is very accurate with throws from the OF. The injury to Beltre could be a blessing in disguise if it lets Calhoun establish himself for next year.
                Beltre is already back and is available as a pinch-hitter for now. That's a great situation, too. He won't take anyone out of the field, yet, but will be available to pinch-hit and work out with the team to get ready for the postseason.

Comment

BA
                  SCOUTING REPORT

Calhoun is one of the best hitters in the minors with a chance to hit for power and average.

He's short, but he's strong with plus productive power and an aggressive-but-compact swing that combines contact and power. He steps into the batter's box looking to cause damage, but he manages to do so while generate loads of contact—he struck out just 11 percent of the time this season.

The concern for Calhoun has always been where will he play. Since he became a Ranger, he's played just two games at second base. He's better in left field. He's below-average there, but there's hope he can be a playable left fielder with adequate reads, but his well-below-average speed limits his range.

WHAT TO EXPECT

For the long-term, Calhoun could be an extremely useful fantasy baseball player because of his ability to hit for average and power. His defensive limitations don't affect the fantasy player and now that he's in the American League, designated hitter is a regular option. He's worth acquiring in any long-term dynasty league.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/fanta...illie-calhoun/

Baseball Prospectus
                  Scouting Report: A left, right profile, Calhoun has always possessed a preternatural bat-to-ball ability, with a career 11.5 percent strikeout rate in the minor leagues. Famously, during one of Clayton Kershaw’s simulated games, Kershaw began throwing Calhoun changeups because Calhoun was hitting everything else in his repertoire. More surprising is the amount of power Calhoun generates from his short frame, as evidenced by his slugging percentage north of .500. Calhoun’s power comes predominantly to the pull side, but his ability to control the zone so well prevents this from taking away from his offensive profile. Offensively (and physically) Calhoun resembles Pablo Sandoval with a little more pop, and a better eye.

Once you depart from evaluating Calhoun’s bat, everything else on the card is immediately below average. Originally a second baseman, Calhoun is undersized, with slow feet, and a weak arm, making him a poor fit anywhere on the dirt. A long overdue move to left field this season has the potential to be a landing spot for Calhoun, though he will need to work hard to approach an average grade there. He is perhaps best suited to becoming the Rangers full-time DH, though their glut of corner-type hitters could be prohibitive. Calhoun will be an interesting barometer for how much utility a team can glean from a bat-only type player, but his bat is about as dependable as they come these days.

Immediate Big-League Future: The Rangers are currently dealing with nagging injuries to Carlos Gomez, Rougned Odor, Nomar Mazara, and Adrian Beltre. Because of this, Calhoun should get a chance to take the lion’s share of work in the Ranger’s current left field platoon of Ryan Rua and Drew Robinson. Despite the multitude of DH-type players on the Texas lineup, Calhoun could also get the occasional start here. As of this writing, the Rangers are only two games out of the wild-card, and should still seek to field their most competitive lineup as they try to catch the Twins.

Fantasy Impact: Calhoun represents possibly the best offensive fantasy call-up for the remainder of this season. Calhoun should provide relatively safe batting average, and above-average pop. The biggest question mark is the amount of playing time he can lock down, though if the Rangers fall out of it, he’s all but guaranteed to get consistent at-bats as guys like Beltre, Gomez, Mike Napoli and Shin-Soo Choo could all get shut down. Calhoun gives you a realistic shot at around four home runs, and a .280 average over the season’s final three weeks. As a bonus, Calhoun sports 2B eligibility, though he likely will lose it next season.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=32752

Hitting for power

The other huge tool going for Calhoun is his ability to hit the ball with authority. His .572 slugging percentage and .927 OPS have everyone drooling over what he can do. Calhoun has 31 home runs and 93 RBIs in what has been an outstanding AAA season.

In 2016, Calhoun hit 26 home runs, so we know the guy has legitimate power. Unlike average though, power tends to translate pretty well between levels of play. For instance, Calhoun homered every 18.63 at bats in 2016 with Tulsa. After moving up to AAA, that number dropped to a home run every 15.68 at bats.

I’m sure physics has a lot to do with that in regards to pitch speed and exit velocity. But, maybe that’s a discussion for someone else. The point is, he has homered even more often against stiffer competition. Calhoun is primed to get his MLB shot. For the sake of argument, let’s say he maintains a similar home run pace. Expect to see two to three home runs from him between now and the end of the season. Keep in mind, that estimate comes with the expectation of part-time play. If the rookie plays every day, that number could theoretically jump to five or six.

Hitting the big leagues

All in all, if anyone expects breakout numbers from Calhoun this fall, try to temper your expectations. This move has more to do with the Rangers needing outfield help than what he did this season.

The AAA season has ended for Round Rock, so it really just makes sense to give him some playing time at this level. In short, instead of seeing Calhoun sit around and watch baseball on TV, they’d rather have him in the clubhouse around veteran players and maybe swinging the bat a few times.

He’ll get a lot of play in the outfield: particularly in the later innings. Think of it like an early spring training for Calhoun. Except, instead of facing primarily AA/AAA guys in big league uniforms, he’ll see higher-quality arms throwing to him.

https://calltothepen.com/2017/09/12/...illie-calhoun/

Comment

Originally posted by Flounder1 View Post

Beltre is already back and is available as a pinch-hitter for now. That's a great situation, too. He won't take anyone out of the field, yet, but will be available to pinch-hit and work out with the team to get ready for the postseason.
                    I'd be very wary of the activation here. I very much doubt he is available for pinch hitting at the moment. He may be close, but reading into post-BP interviews and insider comments, he won't be taking an AB any time soon.

Comment

Yeah, you don't want to rush Beltre. I get the impression they did it because they could take it easy with him with the expanded roster.

Comment

I think I'm officially on board with Calhoun in LF next with DDJ in CF.

CF DDJ
                        DH Choo
                        RF Mazara
                        3B Beltre
                        1B Gallo
                        SS Andrus
                        2B Odor or Profar
                        LF Calhoun
                        C Chirinos

Comment

Originally posted by Kaisersoze View Post
                          I think I'm officially on board with Calhoun in LF next with DDJ in CF.

CF DDJ
                          DH Choo
                          RF Mazara
                          3B Beltre
                          1B Gallo
                          SS Andrus
                          2B Odor or Profar
                          LF Calhoun
                          C Chirinos
                          The Dude believes that may get your wish. However, I don't think DDJ will stay at lead off very long. One thing that bothers The Dude is the only strong defenders on this particular set up would be Beltre, Andrus, and Chirinos. Everyone else has, at the very least, shown to be a bit spotty defensively. If Beltre goes down, it hurts this team perhaps irreparably both offensively and defensively.

A trade is coming and smart money is either Odor or Profar. Hopefully it's Odor. That would be addition by subtraction defensively speaking.

Comment

How did Beltre's AB look last night? Genuine question since I didn't catch it, but saw it was a pop-up.

Comment

Originally posted by saclare View Post
                              How did Beltre's AB look last night? Genuine question since I didn't catch it, but saw it was a pop-up.
                              1st pitch was a foul ball or strike....

Second pitch he popped up... mile high popup to second.

As I remember anyway...I could be off a little.

Comment

Thanks. Just saw he is in the lineup and hitting clean-up. WOW - seeing the light dimming at the end of the tunnel is making Beltre and Napoli tough it out for their team.

Comment

Working...
                                X