No announcement yet.

This team is done

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The problem I see with our young core is there are major flaws with each of them. There are always flaws with young players but one such as being lousy defensively is a big one. Being a bad OBP player isn't good. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Lots of fast guys have good babip because they make hits out of balls in play that slow footed players cannot. You might consider that and lower you droppoff for Delino.

Comment

• Originally posted by saclare View Post

Not my preferred route at all. Just saying they will be very good through 2020. I'm going to doubt they won't jump that payroll if they have the kind of success they should have. Others have made very good points to both cases. It will be very interesting how the next few years play out, especially with the Rangers new ballpark coming online right in time for the Astros to make some big decisions. I don't think JD and Co. are ready to lay down for a few years.
        There are two problems with the intentional tanking scenario. One is that our young core of Mazara, Gallo, etc is too good for the team to be a bottom five team and get the premium draft picks. The other problem is that most of the teams that have had several terrible seasons don't recover and get back to the top.

Comment

• The Rangers have not been horrible on defense this year. All-in-all they are slightly above average in the league, but not terrible. Look at the BR AL team fielding stats. They aren't great, but are nowhere near the worst in the league.

And these guys can improve, too. Delino Deshields and Roughned Odor have become positive contributors to the defense this year, with positive dWAR. Maybe we will see the same sort of improvements from Mazara and Gallo. That would help a lot.

I'd like to see tighter defense, too, but I think that is happening. The veterans I really don't worry about except they need to let Choo work on his fielding at DH. They will field better and they can sure score the runs. Just need some pitching.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flounder1 View Post
            The Rangers have not been horrible on defense this year. All-in-all they are slightly above average in the league, but not terrible. Look at the BR AL team fielding stats. They aren't great, but are nowhere near the worst in the league.

And these guys can improve, too. Delino Deshields and Roughned Odor have become positive contributors to the defense this year, with positive dWAR. Maybe we will see the same sort of improvements from Mazara and Gallo. That would help a lot.

I'd like to see tighter defense, too, but I think that is happening. The veterans I really don't worry about except they need to let Choo work on his fielding at DH. They will field better and they can sure score the runs. Just need some pitching.
            Agree 100% on Choo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flounder1
              The Rangers have not been horrible on defense this year. All-in-all they are slightly above average in the league, but not terrible. Look at the BR AL team fielding stats. They aren't great, but are nowhere near the worst in the league. And these guys can improve, too. Delino Deshields and Roughned Odor have become positive contributors to the defense this year, with positive dWAR. Maybe we will see the same sort of improvements from Mazara and Gallo. That would help a lot. I'd like to see tighter defense, too, but I think that is happening. The veterans I really don't worry about except they need to let Choo work on his fielding at DH. They will field better and they can sure score the runs. Just need some pitching.
              I just don't see how you can lead the league in errors and have a positive dWAR. I've said before you can pencil him and Andrus in for about 40 errors a year and that's just not very good. Saying that, I love both of the guys.

Comment

• Originally posted by pibrew View Post
                I just don't see how you can lead the league in errors and have a positive dWAR. I've said before you can pencil him and Andrus in for about 40 errors a year and that's just not very good. Saying that, I love both of the guys.
                The error totals aren't as big a deal behind a staff that doesn't strike anybody out. Once Darvish was traded, the highest K/9 among Ranger starters this season was A.J. Griffin's 7.1. And he only made 15 starts. Among those who started at least 20 games, it was Hamels' 6.2. That's a lot of balls in play and a lot of chances for the infielders. You're going to have more errors than normal under those circumstances. But Elvis had the highest fielding percentage of his career this year, and it was actually above league average for the first time in a few years. Odor's was below average by a few points, but he had a range factor well above the league norm.
                Last edited by dannyboy8517; 10-01-2017, 12:53 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by dannyboy8517 View Post
                  The error totals aren't as big a deal behind a staff that doesn't strike anybody out. Once Darvish was traded, the highest K/9 among Ranger starters this season was A.J. Griffin's 7.1. And he only made 15 starts. Among those who started at least 20 games, it was Hamels' 6.2. That's a lot of balls in play and a lot of chances for the infielders. You're going to have more errors than normal under those circumstances. But Elvis had the highest fielding percentage of his career this year, and it was actually above league average for the first time in a few years. Odor's was below average by a few points, but he had a range factor well above the league norm.
                  Yup. Counting stats trumped by rate stats. DWAR also tries to look at a player's "zone" and figure a player's success in fielding all balls passing into/through that zone, with weights attached to batted ball type and speed.
                  Last edited by ProfarMVP; 10-01-2017, 04:59 AM.

Comment

• Yea, Elvis led all shortstops in attempts. However, I don't think you'll get much argument about Odor. his fWAR on defense was at a -3.1.

Comment

• Odor is not as bad a fielder as some think. Gallo and Mazara are who need to be working hard on fielding thsrs days. Gallo is a 1B. He won't be playing much 3B next year unless Beltre is hurt, and even then I suspect they will sub someone else... Profar maybe, if he's not traded.

Comment

Odor is not as bad a fielder as some think. Gallo and Mazara are who need to be working hard on fielding thsrs days. Gallo is a 1B. He won't be playing much 3B next year unless Beltre is hurt, and even then I suspect they will sub someone else... Profar maybe, if he's not traded.
                        Beltre won't be physically able to play more than 80 games of defense next season.

Comment

• Originally posted by ProfarMVP View Post

Beltre won't be physically able to play more than 80 games of defense next season.
                          You are probably right. Profar will play most of the rest at 3B. I'm fairly certain 1B belongs to Gallo from now on and they won't be moving him from there or trading Odor this winter.

Comment

You are probably right. Profar will play most of the rest at 3B. I'm fairly certain 1B belongs to Gallo from now on and they won't be moving him from there or trading Odor this winter.
                            They also won't be playing Profar at 3B. Won't happen.

Comment

• Looks like we'll have to deal with another year of Brocail, too. Hopefully, the video machines are working well.

Comment

• This is not a rebuild: http://m.rangers.mlb.com/news/articl...picId=27118410

Comment

Working...
                                X