Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This team is done

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by RangersBamBam View Post
    I don't know why people get worked up anymore on Profar. No one who covers the Rangers talks about him as a significant part of this team's future. The real problem is pitching. This roster doesn't have pitchers that you can look forward to next year. It makes you have doubts about next year already. If Otani signs with a team other than the Rangers, JD will have to have that hard conversation with Beltre and Hamels about what's best for each party going forward.
    maybe because there is a black hole at 2nd base

    Comment


    • Originally posted by RangersBamBam View Post
      I don't know why people get worked up anymore on Profar. No one who covers the Rangers talks about him as a significant part of this team's future. The real problem is pitching. This roster doesn't have pitchers that you can look forward to next year. It makes you have doubts about next year already. If Otani signs with a team other than the Rangers, JD will have to have that hard conversation with Beltre and Hamels about what's best for each party going forward.
      There are other pitchers besides Ohtani out there. I can think of several right off hand that would fit in with the Rangers and allow the pitchers in the system to develop more fully.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Redcap View Post
        There are other pitchers besides Ohtani out there. I can think of several right off hand that would fit in with the Rangers and allow the pitchers in the system to develop more fully.
        The reviews I've read on free agent pitching available this offseason aren't particularly encouraging. RBB is spot-on about taking a hard look at what it'll take to get this team competitive with Houston.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by ProfarMVP View Post

          The reviews I've read on free agent pitching available this offseason aren't particularly encouraging. RBB is spot-on about taking a hard look at what it'll take to get this team competitive with Houston.
          And I don't think that the Astros will do as well next season. There are a couple of hitters like Gonzalez who've had well above career years. And, even with Verlander, their rotation is still pretty shaky with 3 being potential injury risks.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Redcap View Post

            And I don't think that the Astros will do as well next season. There are a couple of hitters like Gonzalez who've had well above career years. And, even with Verlander, their rotation is still pretty shaky with 3 being potential injury risks.
            While I understand your take on the Astros, and it does have vailidity, I tend to lean towards the thinking that the Astros are going to be good for a while. They'll have to pony up some bucks in a few years, and possibly add pitching, but that's such an incredible lineup.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by saclare View Post
              While I understand your take on the Astros, and it does have vailidity, I tend to lean towards the thinking that the Astros are going to be good for a while. They'll have to pony up some bucks in a few years, and possibly add pitching, but that's such an incredible lineup.
              Yes...Astros are for real. Bigtime.

              There's a lot of denial w/some in the fanbase about the measures the Rangers must take to rival and surpass the Astros.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by saclare View Post

                While I understand your take on the Astros, and it does have vailidity, I tend to lean towards the thinking that the Astros are going to be good for a while. They'll have to pony up some bucks in a few years, and possibly add pitching, but that's such an incredible lineup.
                Unless the Astros are willing to hit $200 million with their payroll, they're going to lose key members of that lineup and/or pitching staff within three years. Their window isn't nearly as wide as most believe IMO. Free agency and arbitration are going to hit that organization like a wrecking ball, and they'll start feeling the effects as early as 2020, after they've paid both Keuchel and Altuve.

                Comment


                • I don't think the Astros will fall apart or anything, but I think they will still be able to be beaten, and I think the Rangers can do it. I still don't think they have the pitching to do it. It helped getting Verlander, but he's 34 with a bunch of ML innings on his arm, and they gave up a bit to get him and he's owed a bunch. Maybe he'll wind up being their Fielder.

                  Comment


                  • The HUGE problem I see moving forward is they might be the worst defensive team in baseball. I know it's sexy to talk home runs, rbi, OBP etc but this team is horrific across the board. Their best defender is a 37 year old third baseman. Lol. You can pencil in around 40 errors right off the bat between short stop and second base. Those are two positions that need be consistent and they aren't! It's beyond stupid to me that the front office didn't let Profar play second base there last 50 or so games. Send Odor down and let him work on his game... Show him some tough love. Gallo isn't a third baseman IMO. Their outfield doesn't have one +defender. Then you work yourself to the pitching.... Ugh. Where does one start. They have an ace that really isn't an ace and that's about it. The first game Martinez starts next year is the day I stop watching the Rangers. So over him. I saw that Perez's option got picked up and that's OK if he's your 4th or 5th starter. I don't think I've ever seen a pitcher that folds about every time there is a tough inning. I'm not sure how JD retools this team on the fly. He's got a ton of I'll fitting parts. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                    Comment


                    • Oh.... And I HATE the way this team quit at the end of the season. To me, that's more telling than a lot of things being discussed here. That's a manager issue IMO. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by ProfarMVP
                        Yes...Astros are for real. Bigtime. There's a lot of denial w/some in the fanbase about the measures the Rangers must take to rival and surpass the Astros.
                        I totally agree. They are the best team in the division and it's not even close.

                        Comment


                        • Ok, so the Rangers dump Beltre and Hamels and lose 100 games until the Astros have run their course?

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Redcap View Post
                            Ok, so the Rangers dump Beltre and Hamels and lose 100 games until the Astros have run their course?
                            Not my preferred route at all. Just saying they will be very good through 2020. I'm going to doubt they won't jump that payroll if they have the kind of success they should have. Others have made very good points to both cases. It will be very interesting how the next few years play out, especially with the Rangers new ballpark coming online right in time for the Astros to make some big decisions. I don't think JD and Co. are ready to lay down for a few years.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by saclare View Post

                              Not my preferred route at all. Just saying they will be very good through 2020. I'm going to doubt they won't jump that payroll if they have the kind of success they should have. Others have made very good points to both cases. It will be very interesting how the next few years play out, especially with the Rangers new ballpark coming online right in time for the Astros to make some big decisions. I don't think JD and Co. are ready to lay down for a few years.
                              I don't think JD will ever lay down for a few years. Even the rebuild we had was an organic one without any unnecessary tanking. We just started spending money more wisely, made a few future-minded trades and let young players play and develop. There's no reason we can't do the same now and try to compete for a wild card spot the next two seasons. Adding needed pieces doesn't mean spending at the top of the free agent market. We could add or extend a couple of mid-rotation guys (I'd still be amenable to bringing back Cashner and Gonzalez, if the price is right) and add one big fish without breaking the bank or sacrificing the future. We also have some tradeable assets like Profar that we could use to add some starting pitching depth.

                              This team's got a good young offensive core. And there are pieces in the bullpen to build around. I think you have to put those guys in a position to compete and then adjust if it doesn't work out. Beyond adding a top-of-the-rotation guy that we could count on for four or more years and a mid-rotation guy who could stabilize the rotation through 2020, I wouldn't make any win-now moves until our on-field play warranted it. But I wouldn't tank either. We can't afford to waste multiple years of player control with our young guys tanking.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by pibrew View Post
                                The HUGE problem I see moving forward is they might be the worst defensive team in baseball. I know it's sexy to talk home runs, rbi, OBP etc but this team is horrific across the board. Their best defender is a 37 year old third baseman. Lol. You can pencil in around 40 errors right off the bat between short stop and second base. Those are two positions that need be consistent and they aren't! It's beyond stupid to me that the front office didn't let Profar play second base there last 50 or so games. Send Odor down and let him work on his game... Show him some tough love. Gallo isn't a third baseman IMO. Their outfield doesn't have one +defender. Then you work yourself to the pitching.... Ugh. Where does one start. They have an ace that really isn't an ace and that's about it. The first game Martinez starts next year is the day I stop watching the Rangers. So over him. I saw that Perez's option got picked up and that's OK if he's your 4th or 5th starter. I don't think I've ever seen a pitcher that folds about every time there is a tough inning. I'm not sure how JD retools this team on the fly. He's got a ton of I'll fitting parts. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Yup. Let the Healing Begin.
                                Last edited by ProfarMVP; 09-29-2017, 03:16 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X