This team is done

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This team is done

too many injuries and too much mediocrity. JD played it right. Traded Yu and let these guys play it out. there just want enough there.

Many of the players who were supposed to be good either weren't very good or weren't good enough: LuCroy, Dyson, Napoli, Ross, and Odor were really really bad. And then aces like Darvish and Hamels weren't aces. Choo stayed healthy and was above average, but he wasn't elite like he has been in many of his previous healthy seasons.

However, the emergence of Gallo is a big plus. He looks like a star moving forward. And Elvis has blossomed into a star. The growth of Mazara and DDJ this year are also big pluses. Seeing some young bullpen arms that look like winning pieces going forward has also been very positive. Chirinos has also come into his own and that has been a big positive. Drew Robinson looks like a long term piece at the major league level also.

Comment

One of the big issues is the infield defense. It's probably the worst in all of baseball. Especially without Beltre. They are just brutal. Gallo needs to be in the outfield. I really don't like him as a third baseman. Even though Andrus has had a great year, he's again at the top of the leader board for errors. Everyone knows about Odor's fielding blunders and whoever is on first isn't good either. You combine this infield with a not very good pitching staff and that is a recipe for a disaster. Then you combine all of that with a team that's boom or bust with home runs and you have a not very good team. What can JD do about all of that? Probably not much in one off season. I mean you can't move all those guys to the outfield. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'll qualify "not very good" saying that a team that can win and get to the post season. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by pibrew View Post
          One of the big issues is the infield defense. It's probably the worst in all of baseball. Especially without Beltre. They are just brutal. Gallo needs to be in the outfield. I really don't like him as a third baseman. Even though Andrus has had a great year, he's again at the top of the leader board for errors. Everyone knows about Odor's fielding blunders and whoever is on first isn't good either. You combine this infield with a not very good pitching staff and that is a recipe for a disaster. Then you combine all of that with a team that's boom or bust with home runs and you have a not very good team. What can JD do about all of that? Probably not much in one off season. I mean you can't move all those guys to the outfield. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          We are poised to have a poor defense all around the diamond. In addition to what you've aptly pointed out....Choo, Mazara and Delino are sub-par in the OF. Calhoun is said to be the same.

Comment

Originally posted by ProfarMVP View Post

We are poised to have a poor defense all around the diamond. In addition to what you've aptly pointed out....Choo, Mazara and Delino are sub-par in the OF. Calhoun is said to be the same.
            Huh? DDJ is better than average in CF this year. The metrics say it and the eye test says it. He can still get better to catch up to how good his speed is. Mazara is at least average in RF. He shouldn't be playing LF at all and has only done so when Choo is in RF. Choo shouldn't be playing in the field at all and I don't see why he would be next year, given the new OF talent that is ready to come in. Have not seen Calhoun in LF as of yet, but the reports from the Rangers staff are very good so far. If Gallo is playing LF, he has all the tools to be a good one. Regarding IF defense, Profar is much better than Odor at 2B, and whoever plays 1B next year - Guzman or Gallo is a step up over what they have had in 2017. Gallo, especially could be a gold glover over there if he is allowed to stay there and work on it. The backup 3B next should be Robinson and not Gallo, IMO.

If they roll with Odor at 2B next year, and Choo in RF and Mazara in LF, then I agree with you that their defense will be poor. I don't see all of those happening, though.

Comment

You can't overreact to one game, no matter how painful. The Rangers aren't done.

Comment

they are done. you just wont admit it.

Comment

The race is still on though none of the teams seem to be in a hurry to earn it.

Comment

This team will under perform all the way to Oct.1.

Darvish's failure as a Dodger thus far will certainly lower his expected free agent price tag but by how much? If he also falters in post season I can't see anyone lining up with big $30mm pay days. I wonder if he will want to return to the friendly confines of the Ranger Stadium with a group of guys he enjoys and for a much friendlier package than he imagined last April.

It seems to me he has never really recovered from Tommy John.

I hope Cashner isn't pricing himself out of Texas. He has been so dependable.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug View Post
                      Many of the players who were supposed to be good either weren't very good or weren't good enough: LuCroy, Dyson, Napoli, Ross, and Odor were really really bad. And then aces like Darvish and Hamels weren't aces. Choo stayed healthy and was above average, but he wasn't elite like he has been in many of his previous healthy seasons.

However, the emergence of Gallo is a big plus. He looks like a star moving forward. And Elvis has blossomed into a star. The growth of Mazara and DDJ this year are also big pluses. Seeing some young bullpen arms that look like winning pieces going forward has also been very positive. Chirinos has also come into his own and that has been a big positive. Drew Robinson looks like a long term piece at the major league level also.
                      Remember that time The Dude specifically told you Lucroy, Napoli, Ross, and Odor are likely to struggle. Remember that? Then he told you to expect injuries to aging players like Hamels and Beltre? Sound familiar? Then he told you Texas was likely to finish second or third in the division. This was all back in January...

Comment

Originally posted by texassooner1 View Post

Darvish's failure as a Dodger thus far will certainly lower his expected free agent price tag but by how much? If he also falters in post season I can't see anyone lining up with big $30mm pay days. I wonder if he will want to return to the friendly confines of the Ranger Stadium with a group of guys he enjoys and for a much friendlier package than he imagined last April.

Darvish has gotten all his velocity back...maybe a bit more. But I agree his stuff is different. Guessing here that after TJ surgery a pitcher's delivery changes some. He's not spinning 'em the same.

Comment

Originally posted by RangerDude2016 View Post

Remember that time The Dude specifically told you Lucroy, Napoli, Ross, and Odor are likely to struggle. Remember that? .
                          The Dud said everyone on the team would struggle, if you want take credit for Ross and Odor you have to take the blame for Cashner, Gomez and all the others.

Comment

Originally posted by texassooner1 View Post

Cashner wants to be here, so you have to think both sides reach a reasonable deal before the FA period.

Darvish is costing himself money, if he backs off the 7/175 and will take something like 5/125 with some of that being built in incentives (which his first deal was) you have to think the Rangers will do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug View Post

Huh? DDJ is better than average in CF this year. The metrics say it and the eye test says it. He can still get better to catch up to how good his speed is. Mazara is at least average in RF. He shouldn't be playing LF at all and has only done so when Choo is in RF. Choo shouldn't be playing in the field at all and I don't see why he would be next year, given the new OF talent that is ready to come in. Have not seen Calhoun in LF as of yet, but the reports from the Rangers staff are very good so far. If Gallo is playing LF, he has all the tools to be a good one. Regarding IF defense, Profar is much better than Odor at 2B, and whoever plays 1B next year - Guzman or Gallo is a step up over what they have had in 2017. Gallo, especially could be a gold glover over there if he is allowed to stay there and work on it. The backup 3B next should be Robinson and not Gallo, IMO.

If they roll with Odor at 2B next year, and Choo in RF and Mazara in LF, then I agree with you that their defense will be poor. I don't see all of those happening, though.
                              DDJ has perhaps the worst outfield arm in baseball. He's not fundamentally sound and can takes curious routes. He does have world class speed which makes up for a lot, but he's not better than average as you suggest, IMO. Over the weekend there was a play where Delino turned and just flung the ball wildly back towards the infield, not only missing the cutoff man, but the guy backing up the cutoff man. He doesn't play smart out there. Maybe Delino can mature, but he'll never have a good arm. Mazara is just a limited athlete and always will be. Very little foot speed.

Re. Calhoun...I can only go on scouting reports...and the reports i read suggest his future is as a DH.

Yes, I believe Gallo could be a fine outfielder and that might be the best spot for him. Robinson and Profar are of course capable, but we don't know where they'll land (organizationally or on the diamond).

Comment

Working...
                              X