Your best Giancarlo trade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your best Giancarlo trade

What's your best Giancarlo trade? I know Jamey said Rougie + Choo and a minor leaguer but I'm not sure you could get them to take Rougie since they have Dee Gordon. Let's assume they would.

I'd offer Mazara, Jurado, Choo, Rougie, and Miguel Aparicio for Stanton and one of their better bullpen pieces.

Deshields
    Andrus
    Gallo
    Stanton
    Beltre
    Calhoun
    Chirinos
    Guzman
    Profar

That seems fun. Lots of OBP.

I would do cartwheels if we got Stanton but I wouldn't give up Mazara. Not when Stanton has a contract that pays him the GDP of Portugal.

I would do Choo and Odor and throw in two or three secondary prospects like Jurado. I haven't done a deep dive on the situation but it all seems like its about who will take on his contract.

Comment

I don't think I'd want him simply because of there money owed to him. It makes the team not nearly as flexible. On the other hand, it would be fun watching him launch balls out the stadium. At some point you'd end up with Albert Pujols. Yikes! I looked at what the Angels still owe him and I wouldn't want any part of that. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My best trade for Stanton? No trade. Doesnt fix what ails us and we would be in worse shape as far as the budget goes to be able to get pitching.

Comment

Not interested. Need pitching.

Comment

First off, you have to put yourself in the Marlins shoes first. Why would they want Odor, Choo or Jurado? Choo cannot play OF, and though Odor hits for power, his defense is sub-par and his average is worse.

Any trade starts with prospects Taveras and Ragans. It likely includes Mazara or Calhoun. Throw in Yohander Mendez and you are getting close.

So Taveras,Ragans, Mazara/Calhoun and Y. Mendez. You in?

Comment

If any team was willing to take on that contract, he would have been claimed on waivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Mavsman53 View Post
                First off, you have to put yourself in the Marlins shoes first. Why would they want Odor, Choo or Jurado? Choo cannot play OF, and though Odor hits for power, his defense is sub-par and his average is worse.

Any trade starts with prospects Taveras and Ragans. It likely includes Mazara or Calhoun. Throw in Yohander Mendez and you are getting close.

Jamey went through this scenario in detail in a recent email -

http://www.newbergreport.com/article.asp?articleid=4452

The Marlins would be moving Stanton because they can't pay the zillion dollars owed to him and Jamey's idea is that they would take Choo's contract so they would have a DH rather than just eating a similar amount of money on the deal with nothing in return.

Comment

Yeah, I only created the thread because its fun to talk about =) I totally get that it doesn't fix the pitching staff other than they would be allowed to give up more runs, lol.

By Jamey's calculations if we were able to dump Choo & Rougie with it,we essentially would only be paying $17 or $18 million per year for Stanton I think? That seems pretty reasonable. Would fix the heavy left-handedness of our lineup as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Mavsman53 View Post

Craziness, IMO. You can't ignore the contract. The reason the Marlins would take Choo and Roogie is so they don't have to subsidize Stantons contract. It is a massive overpay. You shouldn't have to give up any really good prospects to get him. If the Marlins could give him away without having to subsidize his contract I think they would.

Comment

Originally posted by GaryB44 View Post
                      Yeah, I only created the thread because its fun to talk about =) I totally get that it doesn't fix the pitching staff other than they would be allowed to give up more runs, lol.

By Jamey's calculations if we were able to dump Choo & Rougie with it,we essentially would only be paying $17 or $18 million per year for Stanton I think? That seems pretty reasonable. Would fix the heavy left-handedness of our lineup as well.
                      Once Choo's contract runs out though, you are paying $30m+ for Stanton as far as the eye can see. It's not pretty. Having said that, if they would take Choo and Roogie for him, I would do it. But, I wouldn't add n any significant prospects.

Comment

Today's TR Sullivan article...

I hear rumors of the Rangers going afterGiancarlo Stanton by trade and taking on a lot of his contract. Would it not make better sense to chase Yu Darvish and Shohei Ohtani?
                        -- Kayla B., Honolulu

Great question. Stanton is signed for 10 more years after this season at an average of $27.5 million through age 37. There is a good chance Darvish could get a five- or six-year deal averaging that much or more as a free agent this offseason. You'd rather have Stanton, but he has to be acquired by trade, and that would be painful. Who knows what Ohtani will cost or how good he will be? But if the Rangers could get Stanton without giving up Joey Gallo,Nomar Mazara or Cole Ragans, then ...

Comment

The more I think about it... in our current view... who is the big right handed bat in our organization in a year or two when Beltre is done?

Comment

Originally posted by pibrew View Post
                            I don't think I'd want him simply because of there money owed to him. It makes the team not nearly as flexible. On the other hand, it would be fun watching him launch balls out the stadium. At some point you'd end up with Albert Pujols. Yikes! I looked at what the Angels still owe him and I wouldn't want any part of that. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Would be a big risk and yes, we could paint ourselves in a corner. Flipside, Stanton is fair bit younger than Pujols was when Angels signed him. Pujols had already started declining when Angels signed.

I lose my objectivity a bit when I imagine Stanton and Gallo hitting in the same lineup.

Comment

Originally posted by GaryB44 View Post
                              The more I think about it... in our current view... who is the big right handed bat in our organization in a year or two when Beltre is done?
                              I don't see a RH guy like that in our system right now. Gallo, Guzman, Calhoun and Mazara will all be here but are obviously LH. Maybe Leody Tavaras but he is a switch hitter.

Comment

Working...
                              X