What does a posteason appearance cost?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flounder1 View Post

Wow! I didn't know the Astros were in such financial straights! While they are paying McCann, Reddick and Gurriel $102.2 million, we'll be losing $100 million in contracts. We'll be able to sign lots of great contracts because of the depth of our young talents like Profar, Gallo, Calhoun, Mendez, Guzman and Ragans. I can see us having a rotation of Hamels, Otani, Cobb, Cashner and Perez next season, with Mendez and Ragans as young depth, and Griffin and Martinez as veteran depth. All of that, and it will fit handily in the Rangers budget. We may also be able to afford a closer. I like the lower cost relief pitchers, too. There are a couple in free agency and we can make a trade. The bullpen will be very good next year now that Diekman is back and Claudio is getting guys out. We have young bullpen arms like Claudio and Leclerc. More are on the way. I'm wondering how anyone thinks this team is not young enough.
    Why are you forcing Cole Ragans into the equation for next season? He is a long ways off...

Comment

Maybe he was thinking Jurado? Or possibly Payano.

Comment

Originally posted by mingjungtc View Post
        In 2011, before the Rangers signed Yu Darvish, I wrote here: “ JD is a very smart and busy person. He would not make a trip to Japan to watch Yu Darvish pitch without ownership assuring him an extra expenditure paid for posting fee.”

JD and several front office persons made trip to Japan to watch Shohei Otani several times.
        You're a very smart and astute observer

Comment

Originally posted by Kaisersoze View Post

Exactly. They didn't send scouts to see Otani, they sent the senior management personally during the middle of the MLB season. That is a very strong statement.
          The clearest sign they are all-in on Otani for me is that the Rangers, like usual, were one of the most active team in scouting, evaluating and negotiating J2 international prospects. However, they were very conservative during the signing. They saved the most pool money among all MLB for a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by mingjungtc View Post

The clearest sign they are all-in on Otani for me is that the Rangers, like usual, were one of the most active team in scouting, evaluating and negotiating J2 international prospects. However, they were very conservative during the signing. They saved the most pool money among all MLB for a reason.
            Anyone have an updated list of international spending caps? Several teams traded for more spending cash.

Comment

Originally posted by RangerDude2016 View Post

Anyone have an updated list of international spending caps? Several teams traded for more spending cash.
              From “Can we get Otani without Darvish?”

Only eight clubs as of now have the ability to give a signing bonus of more than $1 million through next June: Texas ($3,535,000), the New York Yankees ($3.25 million), Pittsburgh ($2,266,750), Minnesota ($1,895,000), Arizona ($1,867,500), Miami ($1.74 million), Detroit ($1,072,000) and Seattle ($1,057,500).

The Rangers could have roughly $5 million to offer Ohtani if they trade for the maximum they can acquire.

The Yankees are also the favorites to sign Venezuelan shortstop/center fielder Osleivis Basabe, the No. 46 prospect, though there is talk he might wait until 2018 to sign.

Salinas is Venezuelan outfielder Raimfer Salinas and Cabello is Venezuelan catcher Antonio Cabello. Salinas and Cabello are ranked among the top 15 international prospects by both Baseball America and MLB.com, so they’re not nobodies. If they sign, they’re getting a nice chunk of change. As for Basabe, I’m not sure why he’d wait to next year to sign, but hey, if he’s willing, that saves 2017-18 bonus space.

All things considered, the Yankees may end up spending north of $6M on international amateurs this signing period should the Salinas and Cabello signings happen. Probably more than $6M. That’s just me guesstimating. All those smaller signings add up, and as consensus top 15 prospects, Salinas and Cabello should be locks for mid-to-high six-figure bonuses, maybe even seven figures. For now, $6M to $6.5M is a guesstimate.

That $1M for Rojas means the Yankees have $1M less to offer Otani.

http://riveraveblues.com/2017/09/yan...spects-160542/

Comment

Working...
              X