Stay Classy Jon Daniels !!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stay Classy Jon Daniels !!!

So before everyone here stands up for JD's excuses about why the Rangers - Astros series tomorrow was moved to Tampa, let me first point out that Jerry Jones said they would do whatever they could to help & accommodate the Texans for their upcoming pre-season game on Thursday. I live in the Texas Panhandle and usually drive 6 or so hours 5-6 times a year to watch my Rangers play. The time and cost to do so is not minimal because I don't have a six figure salary and live in a mansion like most lawyers who own this site or post here. I would do whatever I could to help my fellow Texans in Houston, and they live over 600+ miles away and a 10 hour+ drive from where I live. Helping your neighbors has always been a part of being a Texan - at least from where I came from. JD is a native New Yorker, so maybe THAT is why he has the attitude he does. The way he treated Nolan Ryan, he arguing with KIDS who were fans of another team years ago and now this......He is really a despicable human being. Not to mention a horrible draft analyst and in my opinion a less than mediocre general manager.

So now then, he refused the Astros in swapping home series because of the fans and schedule huh? I think it would be a safe bet that almost all the season ticket holders would have no problem having their tickets/schedules altered to help those in Houston - if they are true Texans that is.And as far as the road trip being extended, again it's about helping your fellow state team as best you can. It's not like this team can even get above .500 for any extended amount of time. To deny Reid because this team is still hoping to make it to the playoffs is nothing but a big joke. Even if they do, it will be a one and done anyway.Yet, recent play says that is a huge pipe dream.

I'm going to take all the Rangers gear I've bought over the years with hard earned blood,sweat and tears work and trash it. Before I do, it will be used for toilet paper. In honor of a guy in charge of Texas baseball that is not - nor act like a Texan, Mr. Jon Daniels. Until he and his ilk are gone from this team, I'm gone from this team.

Adoios-

Originally posted by TeXan View Post
    So before everyone here stands up for JD's excuses about why the Rangers - Astros series tomorrow was moved to Tampa, let me first point out that Jerry Jones said they would do whatever they could to help & accommodate the Texans for their upcoming pre-season game on Thursday. I live in the Texas Panhandle and usually drive 6 or so hours 5-6 times a year to watch my Rangers play. The time and cost to do so is not minimal because I don't have a six figure salary and live in a mansion like most lawyers who own this site or post here. I would do whatever I could to help my fellow Texans in Houston, and they live over 600+ miles away and a 10 hour+ drive from where I live. Helping your neighbors has always been a part of being a Texan - at least from where I came from. JD is a native New Yorker, so maybe THAT is why he has the attitude he does. The way he treated Nolan Ryan, he arguing with KIDS who were fans of another team years ago and now this......He is really a despicable human being. Not to mention a horrible draft analyst and in my opinion a less than mediocre general manager.

So now then, he refused the Astros in swapping home series because of the fans and schedule huh? I think it would be a safe bet that almost all the season ticket holders would have no problem having their tickets/schedules altered to help those in Houston - if they are true Texans that is.And as far as the road trip being extended, again it's about helping your fellow state team as best you can. It's not like this team can even get above .500 for any extended amount of time. To deny Reid because this team is still hoping to make it to the playoffs is nothing but a big joke. Even if they do, it will be a one and done anyway.Yet, recent play says that is a huge pipe dream.

I'm going to take all the Rangers gear I've bought over the years with hard earned blood,sweat and tears work and trash it. Before I do, it will be used for toilet paper. In honor of a guy in charge of Texas baseball that is not - nor act like a Texan, Mr. Jon Daniels. Until he and his ilk are gone from this team, I'm gone from this team.

Adoios-
    So...please help us out with more info.

-Where are you getting your information that this decision was made by Jon Daniels? I heard the decision was made by the league office of MLB.
    -How is it you come to your conclusion we are all lawyers here?
    -Where do you read that Houston is unhappy with the decision to play the games in Tampa?

Maybe you know info that we don't. Please share more.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...-astros-series

Comment

The decision by JD was not to swap series because it would give the Rangers a 4 city out of town series to finish out the season, so I understand. (They would have had a series in LA, Seattle, Oakland, and then Houston before going home to face the A's to finish the season.)

However, it makes more sense to me that if you're going to have benefit games it would have made more money for charity if the games had been held in Arlington rather than Tampa Bay. Of course the Astros would still have had to go somewhere else to face the Mets because the Rangers have a home series against the Angels.

BTW, I'm definitely not a lawyer though I am a professional teacher and definitely do not make 6 figures.

Comment

OK...I read up on it.

The Rangers offered to give all the ticket revenues for the series to Houston, but the Astros didn't want to do that. I can certainly understand some of what the Ranger decision-makers were thinking. And I understand the Astros side of it.

I'm sure money factors into the Rangers not wanting to swap venues, but also consideration for the Ranger fans. However, I do wish the Texas front office would have said, "Given the circumstances we'll accommodate what you want." It could have been a unifying supportive move and I'm sure (most)Ranger fans would have been understanding.

It does come across callous and ungracious...and I see Houston front office, players and some fans are miffed. It's not a pleasant thing, also now receiving some national criticism.

When there should be neighborliness...there is instead acrimony and bitterness.
        Last edited by ProfarMVP; 08-28-2017, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ProfarMVP View Post
          OK...I read up on it.

The Rangers offered to give all the ticket revenues for the series to Houston, but the Astros didn't want to do that. I can certainly understand some of what the Ranger decision-makers were thinking. And I understand the Astros side of it.

I'm sure money factors into the Rangers not wanting to swap venues, but also consideration for the Ranger fans. However, I do wish the Texas front office would have said, "Given the circumstances we'll accommodate what you want." It could have been a unifying supportive move and I'm sure (most)Ranger fans would have been understanding.

It does come across callous and ungracious...and I see Houston front office, players and some fans are miffed. It's not a pleasant thing, also now receiving some national criticism.

When there should be neighborliness...there is instead acrimony and bitterness.
          I tend to agree. This seems like an odd hill to die on for JD. He's going to take a PR beating over this, and he'll probably have earned it. If the two teams were battling for a division title, I'd understand it more. But this Rangers team will be lucky to still be in the wild card race by the time that second series comes around. He should have just agreed to flip to the two series.
          Last edited by dannyboy8517; 08-28-2017, 11:29 PM.

Comment

I don't think the Rangers did anything wrong in this situation. What they offered was certainly fine, they would make Houston the home team and give them all profits.

Daniels was just quoted in the FWST saying the issue is that they didn't want to tell season ticket holders they had to use their September tickets on less than 24 hours notice. That's understandable, you really don't want to infuriate a thousand of your season ticket holders. I know people want the Rangers to bend over backwards on this but I think the solution to play in Tampa is fine.

Comment

the astros dropped this bomb on JD. This probably came from crane who did not want to give up the revenues from those 3 games so he tried to make the rangers the bad guys and make them the ones losing the revenue

Comment

Originally posted by Kaisersoze View Post
                I don't think the Rangers did anything wrong in this situation. What they offered was certainly fine, they would make Houston the home team and give them all profits.

Daniels was just quoted in the FWST saying the issue is that they didn't want to tell season ticket holders they had to use their September tickets on less than 24 hours notice. That's understandable, you really don't want to infuriate a thousand of your season ticket holders. I know people want the Rangers to bend over backwards on this but I think the solution to play in Tampa is fine.
                I could be wrong, but I don't think Rangers fans would have had any problem with the switch.

Comment

Originally posted by rainag View Post
                  the astros dropped this bomb on JD. This probably came from crane who did not want to give up the revenues from those 3 games so he tried to make the rangers the bad guys and make them the ones losing the revenue
                  I don't see how it was a bomb. A switch of the two series was being bandied about on the Rangers broadcast days ago. JD had to know that was going to be one possibility. In addition to being the most considerate solution, it was the most logical as well.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy8517 View Post

I could be wrong, but I don't think Rangers fans would have had any problem with the switch.
                    You are wrong for several reasons.

Comment

I don't see how it was a bomb. A switch of the two series was being bandied about on the Rangers broadcast days ago. JD had to know that was going to be one possibility. In addition to being the most considerate solution, it was the most logical as well.
                      Yup.

Many thousands of people have lost their homes. There will be mega-billions in property damage. Under the circumstances you accommodate and you help in whatever way you can. Period.

Whether or not the Astros should have gone public with what has become a spat (they shouldn't have) is secondary to the fact that JD didn't do the right thing. I'm a bit embarrassed for our Rangers.
                      Last edited by ProfarMVP; 08-29-2017, 12:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rainag View Post
                        The Rangers offered to host the Astros in Arlington and give 100% of the revenue to the Astros. The Astros chose Florida instead, where the attendance will be much smaller. They thought it unfair to the other teams in the wild card chase to give the Rangers what amounted to 3 new home games.

Comment

Originally posted by BattleshipTx View Post

The Rangers offered to host the Astros in Arlington and give 100% of the revenue to the Astros. The Astros chose Florida instead, where the attendance will be much smaller. They thought it unfair to the other teams in the wild card chase to give the Rangers what amounted to 3 new home games.
                          And your point?

Worrying about a competitive advantage or dis-advantage is sorry-***. This was an ugly decision. It's like squabbling over the price of bottled water with someone walking in off the desert.

What was asked by Houston (swap the series) was reasonable. When people are getting beat up by a natural disaster...you accommodate...you flex...you help. We didn't do that.

Its a stain on the organization...as people all across the country are rightfully appalled.
                          http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/08/texa...ood-mlb-refuse
                          Last edited by ProfarMVP; 08-29-2017, 01:11 AM.

Comment

Even from a selfish Ranger perspective this was foolishness. We lit a serious candle of hate with the Astros players and fans. Many Ranger fans like the OP are disgusted and less likely to buy tickets. And the team's reputation around the country took a dip.

Based on twitter it also gave some people who dislike the state of Texas....something to validate their opinion.

Comment

what was the impetus to the request. It was for the rangers to absorb any financial hit while the astros got to play for their big attendances right before the playoffss. That was the guilt trip they laid on the rangers to try to pass along the losses to texas.

Comment

Working...
                              X