TRs Take on the rangers offseason outfield possibilities

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by saclare View Post
    I think the first domino is what it would take to retain Gomez on a preferred one or two year deal. DDJ's arm strength is the reason he may not flourish in CF. He has the speed and can work on routes, etc. Gallo is tough, but I see it as 1B or 3B, depending on what happens with Beltre. I think Beltre is here next season, so Gallo 1B.

I see DDJ as the 4th OF who will get tons of ABs still between a mix of Calhoun and Choo. Guzman is the odd guy out here and start in AAA. I also could see the Rangers starting the season with both Calhoun and Guzman in AAA. A lot can happen between now and then, but as is, I think that is it.
    Just not a big fan of retaining Gomez. He's about to be 32. He's never been all that consistent. I'm fine with moving on.
    Last edited by murphy3; 08-22-2017, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaisersoze View Post

Trivia time - Guzman and Calhoun were born two weeks apart.

and they are the 9th and 10th youngest player in Pacific Coast League, Opening Day 2017

Comment

Originally posted by mingjungtc View Post

and they are the 9th and 10th youngest player in Pacific Coast League, Opening Day 2017
        Wow, that makes their hitting even more impressive.

I was originally thinking both were in the majors next year but more and more I think its like Gallo where they slot them for AAA and then bring them up when we have injuries.

Comment

Originally posted by murphy3 View Post

Just not a big fan of retaining Gomez. He's about to be 32. He's never been all that consistent. I'm fine with moving on.
          I agree, it's not the prettiest option. But I think a team friendly deal would definitely be a top option. You're either looking at FAs or trying guys there that all have flaws, Gomez included. Sure would be nice to have Brinson

Comment

Originally posted by Kaisersoze View Post

Yup. I keep thinking about these OF combinations but I keep coming back to the fact we need a premium defender in CF next year. Hopefully DDJ can get to that level, but I dont think we can rely on it.
            Yep, this is the rub. Our OF D needs to improve. We are below average in RF, below-to-average in LF (depending on who's playing, and Willie C NEEDS to play that position next year) and dead average in center (when Gomez is in there). Is Robinson better than what Gomez is currently in CF? If he is not, we might need to look at Billy Hamilton type and cash Delino in somewhere. He is a below average CF, and his best case scenario is average. Willie will force his way into left anyways.
            The Texidor Tornado

Comment

Originally posted by fireovid View Post

Yep, this is the rub. Our OF D needs to improve. We are below average in RF, below-to-average in LF (depending on who's playing, and Willie C NEEDS to play that position next year) and dead average in center (when Gomez is in there). Is Robinson better than what Gomez is currently in CF? If he is not, we might need to look at Billy Hamilton type and cash Delino in somewhere. He is a below average CF, and his best case scenario is average. Willie will force his way into left anyways.
              Since DDJ has been back to playing full time, he looks above average to me. That's just the eye test. The defensive stats also say he is above average and that he has made significant improvement. Sounds like the Rangers think that Robinson has more defensive potential in CF than DDj does.

Comment

Originally posted by fireovid View Post

I think Mazara is average in RF, i wouldn't call him below average. Agree that Calhoun's home is LF though he should move to DH whenever Choo is traded or has his contract run out.

I think the idea of Robinson in CF is the Supersub role where he can backup every spot but Middle Infield, so if you have a guy like Hanser Alberto you can backup every spot but Catcher.

Comment

Other teams will be interested in Deshields, Calhoun, Profar, Robinson and doubtfully, but hopefully, Choo. When all we need is a LF and CF, we night be able to fix the outfield with six players to trade. Like, for example, keep Calhoun for LF for now and trade Profar and Robinson for a CF. You could probably get a good, young CF for that. It'll be a strange winter, but I would not be surprised to see some trades for balance like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Flounder1 View Post
                    Other teams will be interested in Deshields, Calhoun, Profar, Robinson and doubtfully, but hopefully, Choo. When all we need is a LF and CF, we night be able to fix the outfield with six players to trade. Like, for example, keep Calhoun for LF for now and trade Profar and Robinson for a CF. You could probably get a good, young CF for that. It'll be a strange winter, but I would not be surprised to see some trades for balance like that.
                    I've flipped on Choo. I still think we should shop him in the offseason but Choo and Deshields are the best candidates to leadoff next season and I think it will be choo at DH leading off. Keeping Choo and re-signing Gomez gives us the best chance to win so that should be plan A

Gallo 1B, Choo DH, Calhoun LF, Gomez CF. With Deshields, Robinson and Guzman as next man up

If we don't get Gomez, it should be a Deshields/Robinson platoon or maybe one of them win the job. Deshields gets one year to prove he can handle CF defensively

Not sure how Deshields becomes the everyday LF. Calhoun moves ahead of him automatically in the pecking order. And if he's not ready it should be Gallo as the LF with Guzman at 1B

Comment

I think you have to trade some of these AAA hitters who are blocked or don't have a clear position in the majors. You can't grow to attached with names like Calhoun, Guzman, or minor league other hitters who lack above average skills to man a position at very well. We already have a problem with defense and we need to make it better and not just try to get by again.

Comment

Originally posted by RangersBamBam View Post
                        I think you have to trade some of these AAA hitters who are blocked or don't have a clear position in the majors. You can't grow to attached with names like Calhoun, Guzman, or minor league other hitters who lack above average skills to man a position at very well. We already have a problem with defense and we need to make it better and not just try to get by again.
                        Calhoun's position is pretty clear... left field. What gets fuzzy is what to do with Guzman if the Rangers leave Gallo at first. Maybe Guzman stays at AAA for another year to maybe develop a bit more power?

Comment

Personally, I would dump Choo and try and get them all in the lineup

calhoun at DH (and LF when Gallo needs a blow)
                          Mazara in RF
                          Guzman at 1B
                          Gallo in LF
                          DDJ in CF
                          Robinson in CF and 3B (where Beltre needs some rest)

roll with the young guys and invest your money smartly in the rotation

Comment

Originally posted by Doug View Post

Mazara in RF
                            Guzman at 1B
                            Gallo in LF
                            DDJ in CF

in a perfect universe that works. There is a problem. This universe isnt perfect so you have to real with one real big elephant in the room.

Comment

Originally posted by rainag View Post

in a perfect universe that works. There is a problem. This universe isnt perfect so you have to real with one real big elephant in the room.
                              What is the big elephant in the room?

Comment

Originally posted by Doug View Post

Mazara in RF
                                Guzman at 1B
                                Gallo in LF
                                DDJ in CF

I'm not sure that Choo is that tradable. I guess they could DFA him and eat the rest of his contract.

Comment

Working...
                                X