TRs Take on the rangers offseason outfield possibilities

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TRs Take on the rangers offseason outfield possibilities

The Rangers have three big decisions before they get to Gomez. First of all, they need to settle on a position for Joey Gallo. He is too valuable offensively to bouncing around defensively. The guess is he will be anchored at first base if Adrian Beltre returns.

Secondly, the Rangers need to commit to DeShields. He offers too much offensively on a team too dependent on home runs. Defensively though, the Rangers probably prefer him in left.

That leaves Robinson, who the Rangers see as a frontline talent. But he is unproven, and the Rangers are usually reluctant to hand over a position to an unproven young player without veteran options.

http://m.rangers.mlb.com/news/articl...-callups-more/

This is kinda where I am too. I do think they are going to want to season both calhoun and guzman unless they move DDJ to center. The rangers thinking is probably along those lines where they would prefer those two guys to force them to move them into the show rather than giving them a position but who really knows. I know some of you think other wise but TR seems to be level headed in his analysis and probably is picking this up from the development people in the front office. Of course if Gomez leaves and beltre leaves there is a completely different picture.

I think it's pretty easy to go ahead and write-in Gallo at 1B and DDS in LF heading into 2018. Not too worried about Calhoun and Guzman's future - injuries will inevitably create some MLB grooming time for them soon enough. So with all that said, my money is on the Rangers trying to retain Gomez on a team-friendly deal as a hedge for Robinson. He's not exactly a blue chip FA.

Pretty straightforward. Compared to the pitching staff, the lineup is low maintenance this winter, unless they want to swap some pure power for another contact hitter to regain some balance.
    Sixty percent of the time, I'm right every time.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex View Post
      I think it's pretty easy to go ahead and write-in Gallo at 1B and DDS in LF heading into 2018. Not too worried about Calhoun and Guzman's future - injuries will inevitably create some MLB grooming time for them soon enough. So with all that said, my money is on the Rangers trying to retain Gomez on a team-friendly deal as a hedge for Robinson. He's not exactly a blue chip FA.
      Its interesting that TR Sullivan is saying DDJ is a lock for a starting spot next year, he usually has his finger on the pulse of the team. He has a 387 OBP after the All Star break, but I wouldn't have thought him a lock.

Agree on Gomez if DDJ is in LF, but IMO its a stronger team if DDJ can play CF and Calhoun plays LF. Also if Guzman is farther along than Calhoun I wouldn't hesitate to put Guzman at 1B and Gallo at LF. Like TR said, they need to let him focus on one position next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaisersoze View Post

Its interesting that TR Sullivan is saying DDJ is a lock for a starting spot next year, he usually has his finger on the pulse of the team. He has a 387 OBP after the All Star break, but I wouldn't have thought him a lock.

Agree on Gomez if DDJ is in LF, but IMO its a stronger team if DDJ can play CF and Calhoun plays LF. Also if Guzman is farther along than Calhoun I wouldn't hesitate to put Guzman at 1B and Gallo at LF. Like TR said, they need to let him focus on one position next year.
        Also interesting that TR says Rangers see Robinson as a frontline talent.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug View Post

Yup. I keep thinking about these OF combinations but I keep coming back to the fact we need a premium defender in CF next year. Hopefully DDJ can get to that level, but I dont think we can rely on it.

Comment

Gallo, Bush, Leclerc, Nicholson and Robertson represent some significant production from the farm system this year. We'll see where these guys wind up, but the notion our farm isn't any good looks kinda flakey right now. Some of those guys look pretty good. There appears to be a couple of good players right behind them, too. The Rangers just need to get them a few good pitchers is all. Maybe we'll see one from the minors.

Too bad about Bush. I had an MCL sprain a couple of years ago. Hopefully his is a Class I. If it's two he might be out for the season. Might. Three he would need surgery, but they said it's not that bad.

Comment

Walks a lot and has power. Can field and run. That's a nice floor to build on.

Comment

I heard Daniels on the radio recently saying that he believes that Robinson can be above average defensively in CF.

Comment

Yea, I'm not quite getting that since his hit tool was rated as 35 by pipeline in 2016. Sounds like a utility man to me.

Comment

I think The rangers could go into next season w DDJ and a frontline defensive outfielder to sub late in games. It is not ideal but workable

Comment

I think the first domino is what it would take to retain Gomez on a preferred one or two year deal. DDJ's arm strength is the reason he may not flourish in CF. He has the speed and can work on routes, etc. Gallo is tough, but I see it as 1B or 3B, depending on what happens with Beltre. I think Beltre is here next season, so Gallo 1B.

I see DDJ as the 4th OF who will get tons of ABs still between a mix of Calhoun and Choo. Guzman is the odd guy out here and start in AAA. I also could see the Rangers starting the season with both Calhoun and Guzman in AAA. A lot can happen between now and then, but as is, I think that is it.

Comment

Originally posted by murphy3 View Post
                        I heard Daniels on the radio recently saying that he believes that Robinson can be above average defensively in CF.
                        Express manager Jason Wood believes Robinson might have a future in center field, a position he did not play until a directive came from the Rangers’ front office late last season.

“He took to center field very quickly,” Wood said. “I just threw him out there one day. We had our outfield instructor come out to see him and really liked the jumps he was getting and the ground he was covering. We talked about him playing center field at least three times a week, but that’s before a lot of injuries that we’ve had here. So he’s played infield more than I’ve liked.”

Wood sees the speed, the arm and the instincts necessary to make a good center fielder. And enough power. Robinson hit 21 home runs in 432 at-bats for the Express in 2015, and 20 in 467 trips last season.

Robinson stole a combined 31 bases the past two seasons, prompting Wood to predict: “He’s a 20-20 guy. He has the potential to do that every year, and that’s at the major league level.”

http://www.mystatesman.com/sports/ba...okSUY5byiFGOP/

Comment

Just figure out a way to get 3 real outfielders. Back when the Rangers were going to the WS, they had a good defensive outfield but that perhaps gets forgotten because of Cruz's Game 6 screw up.

Comment

Originally posted by saclare View Post
                            I think the first domino is what it would take to retain Gomez on a preferred one or two year deal. DDJ's arm strength is the reason he may not flourish in CF. He has the speed and can work on routes, etc. Gallo is tough, but I see it as 1B or 3B, depending on what happens with Beltre. I think Beltre is here next season, so Gallo 1B.

I see DDJ as the 4th OF who will get tons of ABs still between a mix of Calhoun and Choo. Guzman is the odd guy out here and start in AAA. I also could see the Rangers starting the season with both Calhoun and Guzman in AAA. A lot can happen between now and then, but as is, I think that is it.
                            Good post, Gomez is the likely candidate for CF on familiarity, price and defense.

I've been thinking Calhoun is the LF or DH but just like Guzman, he is 22 years old and could easily be slotted for AAA next year. That was the situation this year with Gallo this year and he played because of injuries.

Trivia time - Guzman and Calhoun were born two weeks apart.

Comment

Originally posted by RangersBamBam View Post
                              Just figure out a way to get 3 real outfielders. Back when the Rangers were going to the WS, they had a good defensive outfield but that perhaps gets forgotten because of Cruz's Game 6 screw up.
                              Yup, Gentry and Endy Chavez were plus defenders. I would love to see DDJ get to that level and take over CF but we haven't seen it yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X