Props to Flounder (Astros-related)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Props to Flounder (Astros-related)

Carl correctly predicted an Astros fade. And man are they are fading hard.

He also suggested as I recall...they would witness pitching injuries and fatigue.

Now I do think it's altogether likely that once Correa and McCullers return from the DL they will right the ship, but they are sure are in a tailspin and the team chemistry/mojo/mood is in heavy suckage mode.

Originally posted by ProfarMVP View Post
    Carl correctly predicted an Astros fade. And man are they are fading hard.

He also suggested as I recall...they would witness pitching injuries and fatigue.

Now I do think it's altogether likely that once Correa and McCullers return from the DL they will right the ship, but they are sure are in a tailspin and the team chemistry/mojo/mood is in heavy suckage mode.
    This is a perfect example of why I'm not willing to concede the next three or four years to Houston. No team with three of Charlie Morton, Mike Fiers, Colin McHugh and Joe Musgrove in its rotation at a given time is unsinkable. And as long as we've got a core of Hamels, Beltre, Elvis and the kids, it should be our goal every season to sink them.

Comment

The thing is...they not only have more elite young MLB talent...they have a better farm than we do.

Now if Gallo can take another half-step, Mazara can take a full step, and Odor can get his head screwed on...that could possibly level up.

Comment

Astros got a strong farm and better MLB squad. It will all depend on what Mazara, Odor, Gallo, and Profar do. Getting Otani would help tremendously as well. As would replacing Bannister with Maddux.
        Last edited by RangerDude2016; 08-13-2017, 12:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RangerDude2016 View Post
          As would replacing Bannister with Maddux.
          Not sure Maddux would want to return. It seems there might have been friction. (my conjecture)

Comment

The Astros have never really had the rotation to play consistent baseball. Not that they don't have pitching talent with McCullers and Keuchel but neither have shown that they are durable enough to make it through a season. They've really lived off of their offense this season and a solid bullpen. That won't go very far in the play-offs when other teams will be throwing out their best rotation guys.

Comment

You can get on JD's case for the deals made with the Cubs and Brewers, but I'd take that any day than a prospect huger of a GM whose team has the best record in the AL and a real opportunity at the World Series.

Comment

Astros starters be like

Comment

I agree completely Bambam. Give me a JD or Theo Epstein any day over a GM who cares more about his organizational prospect ranking than winning a championship. When I read the reports that Luhnow had made his top six or seven prospects untouchable, I was like, "You've got to be kidding me."

If he's not willing to go all in with this team, he doesn't care enough about winning at the big league level. Period.

Comment

he is going to need those prospects because the first chance they get those vets are bailing out of there.

Comment

If we still had Darvish we might have had a chance to beat the Astros on the postseason, too. Now it's doubtful we even get there, but maybe. Can't be hitting all these hollow HR with no men on base, though.]

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy8517 View Post
                        I agree completely Bambam. Give me a JD or Theo Epstein any day over a GM who cares more about his organizational prospect ranking than winning a championship. When I read the reports that Luhnow had made his top six or seven prospects untouchable, I was like, "You've got to be kidding me."

If he's not willing to go all in with this team, he doesn't care enough about winning at the big league level. Period.
                        Agreed, Luhnow could easily have beaten the Yankees offer for Gray or the Dodger's for Darvish and neither deal would've wrecked his farm system. The Astros post ASB swoon is directly tied to their GM not investing in the team for the stretch run. Their bullpen is overworked and their starters are injured, and heck they nearly lost today and got swept if Gallo's line drive hadn't gone right to where the first baseman was.

We can criticize Daniels for going for it when the deals sometimes don't work out, but I'd honestly rather have that than Luhnow not going for it this year when their offense is a juggernaut, their farm is stuffed, and they really only needed a starter & bullpen piece to make themselves AL favorites. It must be infuriating for Astros fans after years and years of tanking followed by two second place finishes to the Rangers.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy8517 View Post

I doubt very much that Luhnow is uninterested in championships. The Astros tried to make a deal with the Orioles to get Zach Britton. The Orioles FO....well known for being unpredictable if not irrational...pulled back.

Luhnow has put the Astros franchise in a very enviable position by valuing the farm. He's apparently interested in keeping the Astros in great shape for a sustained period of time....something I find both prudent and admirable.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragnarok View Post

Agreed, Luhnow could easily have beaten the Yankees offer for Gray or the Dodger's for Darvish and neither deal would've wrecked his farm system. The Astros post ASB swoon is directly tied to their GM not investing in the team for the stretch run. Their bullpen is overworked and their starters are injured, and heck they nearly lost today and got swept if Gallo's line drive hadn't gone right to where the first baseman was.

We can criticize Daniels for going for it when the deals sometimes don't work out, but I'd honestly rather have that than Luhnow not going for it this year when their offense is a juggernaut, their farm is stuffed, and they really only needed a starter & bullpen piece to make themselves AL favorites. It must be infuriating for Astros fans after years and years of tanking followed by two second place finishes to the Rangers.

The Astros swoon is likely more related to injuries to 3 of their best players. Fans will always find lots of reasons to berate their manager and GM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragnarok View Post

Totally agree. The Lucroy deal looks pretty bad at the moment but on the other hand, if you look at what we gave up for Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels it looks like a mountain of talent at the time - but not many of those guys have done anything. My initial reaction to the Cliff Lee deal was that we gave up too much - and clearly I was wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X