7. 2B Rougned Odor
    8. C Robinson Chirinos
    9. CF Delino Deshields/ Willie Calhoun

SP. Cole Hamels
    SP. Shohei Otani
    SP. Andrew Cashner
    SP Martin Perez
    SP. AJ Griffin
    I wouldn't go after Hosmer when you already have Guzman and Gallo that can man 1B for a fraction of the price. And Calhoun cannot play CF. JMO

Comment

• Originally posted by Doug View Post

Power can sometimes be the last thing to arrive for many young players. Guzman is only 22, and is hitting for a high average in AAA with I think only a 12% K rate. He has more raw power than he is showing, and it could very easily arrive as he matures as a hitter.
      And there have been a lot of really good offensive first basemen who didn't hit a ton of home runs. If Guzman grows into a Will Clark, John Olerud or Mark Grace mold, I think we'd all be very happy with the results. And even if he only becomes prime-era James Loney, he'll still bring some value to the team.

Comment

• Originally posted by ortegaskin View Post
        we need someone that can hit in the middle of the order that is why I would go after Eric Hosmer
        Gallo and Mazara are 23 and 22 respectively, both should improve over this year. And even at this point, I'm OK with Mazara hitting third and Gallo hitting 5th.

I think right now my prefered lineup would be this (assuming Odor rebounds) -

Choo
        Andrus
        Mazara
        Beltre
        Gallo
        Gomez (back on a 1 year deal)
        Calhoun (assuming he can handle LF)
        Chrinos
        Odor (or Profar)

If we get a good trade offer for Choo, I would make the deal and move Calhoun to DH, Gallo to LF and put Guzman in at 1B. He would hit in the bottom third of the lineup and be fine in that role.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doug View Post

I wouldn't go after Hosmer when you already have Guzman and Gallo that can man 1B for a fraction of the price. And Calhoun cannot play CF. JMO
          I wouldn't either, for the same reasons you stated. I like Hosmer, but I want to see what our own young guys have. And we need to save that money for our rotation, which is going to need a complete overhaul over the winter.

Comment

• which pitcher would u go after there not really that many out there, there was a report that we would not go after darvish so who is left

Comment

which pitcher would u go after there not really that many out there, there was a report that we would not go after darvish so who is left
              I think the chances are high that Cashner comes back, so your 1, 4 and 5 spots would be filled by Hamels, Cashner and Perez. They will definitely pursue both Darvish and Otani so I would think there is a good shot one of those two fills another spot.

There are a lot of good FAs available and Texas has a lot of available cash.

TR Sulllivan also hinted they will look at Matt Bush as a starter, he has TORP stuff but is obviously a huge wildcard.

After the top five, you still have good options for the 6th - 8th spots like AJ Griffin, Tyson Ross, ABD, Nick Martinez,etc. Plus they always have a bunch of rehab/bounceback candidates signed like AJ Griffin was.

Comment

• would u go after Jake arrieta, cueto, tanaka because that all I see that could be a 2 or 3 starter and start pitching price never work out because u have to give them a 4 to 7 year contract, Eric hosmer only going to be 28 u can always trade Guzman to get a picture

Comment

• Both Cobb and Lynn fall into the 1/2 category (though more towards the 2).

Comment

would u go after Jake arrieta, cueto, tanaka because that all I see that could be a 2 or 3 starter and start pitching price never work out because u have to give them a 4 to 7 year contract, Eric hosmer only going to be 28 u can always trade Guzman to get a picture
                    The Rangers never rush into these things, they wait to see how the market sets before they make a serious move. That's why they didn't give Darvish the 7/175 money he wanted. They can move quickly once they decide its the right guy at the right price, like signing Cashner last year.

I think it will be like that this year, they will definitely target Otani and then a second high end starter (likely Yu Darvish) once they see the FA salaries won't go crazy. As to the specific guys, I trust the Ranger scouts.

Comment

• Arrietta is still a good pitcher. Vargas has some tread life left. Lots of options out there. Lynn, Cobb, Cashner, all decent choices. Darvish and Otani aren't the only ones available. We have a farm, too. No telling who will dazzle in Spring Training next year. It might be best to sign the shorter term deals and go for quantity over quality. Matuela could be ripe midseason, maybe Mendez You never know. I'm predicting Griffin to have his best season ever in 2018. I'm thinking it will be Otani, Cobb and one of Cashner, Vargas or Ross. It's just taking Ross some time to get right after his long absence. He needs to build up his callouses and get a feel for his old grips and stuff. He may take us to the World Series next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by dannyboy8517 View Post

And there have been a lot of really good offensive first basemen who didn't hit a ton of home runs. If Guzman grows into a Will Clark, John Olerud or Mark Grace mold, I think we'd all be very happy with the results. And even if he only becomes prime-era James Loney, he'll still bring some value to the team.
                        Give me a .280 AVG with a .350 OBP with 15-20 HR's...Rangers could use a good consistent hitter that can get on base at a high rate.

Comment

• Originally posted by dannyboy8517 View Post

I wouldn't either, for the same reasons you stated. I like Hosmer, but I want to see what our own young guys have. And we need to save that money for our rotation, which is going to need a complete overhaul over the winter.
                          Plus Hosmer is left handed....

Comment

• Yea, if the Rangers are going to add a power bat, he needs to be a righty.

Comment

• Originally posted by Redcap View Post
                              Yea, if the Rangers are going to add a power bat, he needs to be a righty.
                              And before anyone points this out, yes, I know he has hit lefties well this year..but that isn't indicative of his past.

Comment

• Elvis Andrus is going to opt out of the four years and $58 million remaining on his deal after the 2018 season, barring an absolute collapse. Andrus’ resurgence is one of the more impressive of the 2017 season because it not only validated last year’s but built upon it. And what once looked like a disaster of a contract extension by the Rangers actually looks like a bargain.

Andrus is still only 29, and with a .295/.333/.477 line that gives him the fourth-highest slugging percentage among major league shortstops behind Carlos Correa, Corey Seager and Didi Gregorius, his value is immense. Good major league shortstops are $20 million-a-year players, and Andrus’ competition in the 2018-19 free agent class – of which all the players in this week’s 10 Degrees are members – is Jose Iglesias, Adeiny Hechavarria and Freddy Galvis.

As obvious as an opt-out seems, Andrus does have options. His contract includes a clause for an opt-out after the 2019 season, and if he fears the market in 2018 will be too overcrowded, he could wait. The likelihood of it collapsing on a shortstop, though, is minimal, because almost everyone could use a shortstop, and the fact that …

https://sports.yahoo.com/another-inj...130003881.html

Comment

Working...
                                X