Can we get Otani without Darvish?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rainag View Post
    wow like no one in LA is donating to houston and I didnt know there was a disaster in LA where no one showed up to help. I will never consider anything you say relevant again after that little treatize. what a load of crap.
    No one said that. I was simply pointing out that California sucks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flounder1 View Post

No one said that. I was simply pointing out that California sucks.
      As you can see Profar, he was saying exactly what rainag assumed he was.

Comment

Actually, I don't. You now why? Because I have no reason to.
        When you can't acknowledge much of anything good about the sixth largest economy in the world; a state that produces more than 50% of all the vegetables and fruit produced in the US; a state that sends much more revenue to WDC than it receives back (a much greater disparity than TX)....yes, you have an equal nferiority complex.

Comment

• Every imaginable public venue has been politicized. Its seen everywhere: Awards ceremonies, evening talk shows and sitcoms, google search engines, recommendations on YouTube videos with obvious political bent...

Virtually all "news" has been taken over by the culture war, left and right.

It is very tempting bring our views and convictions to places they don't belong. I suggest we all resist the urge to do that here. No persuasion will occur...hostility will.
          Last edited by ProfarMVP; 09-02-2017, 03:42 PM.

Comment

• Well tell Doug to quit bringing his lies about Texas Rangers advertising to this forum, then, Pofar. I proved him wrong with population stats and Nielson ratings. But, that's not enough. He wants to pursue a hate Texas political rant. Well, guess what. He's wrong. I've got the census bureau, NAEP education stats, Nielson ratings, GDP growth figures, and BLS statistics on my side. The facts. He has nothing but his inferiority complex.

Comment

• He might be gone, but Yu Darvish hasn’t forgotten about the Lone Star State.

The right-hander, traded July 31 by the Texas Rangers to the Los Angeles Dodgers, has donated $100,000 to Hurricane Harvey relief efforts via the Rangers.

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/...171039987.html

Comment

Well tell Doug to quit bringing his lies about Texas Rangers advertising to this forum, then, Pofar. I proved him wrong with population stats and Nielson ratings. But, that's not enough. He wants to pursue a hate Texas political rant. Well, guess what. He's wrong. I've got the census bureau, NAEP education stats, Nielson ratings, GDP growth figures, and BLS statistics on my side. The facts. He has nothing but his inferiority complex.
                Amazing how quickly you go to "lies" as an attack mechanism. It's desperate. Look, Forbes values the LAD at $1.3B more than the Rangers and the LAD have $150m more in annual revenue. And it costs more the buy a 30 sec TV ad in LA than in Dallas. That's all. And, you're the one that said "CA sucks." I didn't say one bad thing about TX. You're projecting your own hate and vitriol onto others. That's pathetic.

Comment

• Asian media are speculating that since Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Fighters are having the worst season for some time, it is likely they are going to total rebuild in this offseason. It makes sense for them to post Shohei Otani this winter.

Comment

• Wladimir Balentien: “So far, in all my career, I think he’s one of the most complete players I have ever seen,” Balentien said. “All-around, hitting, power, running, pitching, it’s impressive. I think if he gave up pitching and just hit, he could easily be a 40-home run guy in this league. He’s an all-around good player.

“He’s throwing a 100-mile (an hour) fastball, and he has offspeed pitches too. He’s a tough pitcher to face, because he has good offspeed and he throws hard.”

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/.../#.WbaBb4qQzuR

Wladimir Balentien played with Adrian Beltre, Ichiro Suzuki and Felix Hernandez in 2007

Comment

• According to Ryan Divish, this weekend’s trip included Dipoto personally checking out the world’s most exciting prospect. The Mariners are serious about Ohtani, but it’s anyone’s guess as to what their chances are. For it to even matter, he has to decide he’s going to come to the U.S. this offseason. If he’s able to leave his club, the Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Fighters, he’ll do so as an international amateur, not an international free agent.

The Mariners have done a decent job of setting themselves up as a solid landing spot. Seattle retains somewhere between $1.7-2.5 million in international pool space, which means they’re capable of making one of the richest offers Ohtani could receive this offseason.

https://www.lookoutlanding.com/2017/...iners-no-doubt

Comment

• According to several Japanese media outlets, the multi-talented Shohei Otani will go through the posting system and leave Nippon Pro Baseball to play in Major League Baseball next season.

The Texas Rangers are expected to make a strong push for Otani, a right-hander power pitcher and left-handed slugger. They tried to sign Otani as a free agent out of high school and have built a good relationship with him. Assistant general manager Josh Boyd has been the point man in that process.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/tex...ardent-suitors

Comment

• Then you’d effectively set Otani up for a choice after his third year, assuming he was effective and stayed healthy.

Opt-in to arbitration and dramatically increase his earnings from 2021-2023, but forego the opportunity to become a free agent until after 2025.
                          Remain significantly underpaid through his arbitration years but reach free agency after six years instead of after eight years.

In the first scenario , the team would get Otani for a total of eight years instead of just six and could reasonably argue that the contract offers enough long-term upside for them that it’s within the realm of what other great young players have been offered with one year of service time. I don’t know how MLB could justifiably refuse to let a team sign Otani to an extension that bought them two free-agent years.

In the second scenario, which probably represents the more likely one should Otani live up to the hype, the signing team locks in underpriced arbitration salaries for an elite player, and the league gets to avoid having Otani just blow the roof off any prior arbitration records. The signing team wouldn’t get extra years of control, but they would get Otani’s arbitration years for a total of $25 million, when he’d probably double that if he had gone year to year.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/how-t...-shohei-otani/

Comment

• The obtaining team could offer to buy out his arbitration years at a very high contracted salary if he is as advertised. The obtaining team would have to be careful that the league doesn't think the team cut any deals ahead of obtaining him, though. I'm thinking something like Mike Trout received from the Angels.

Comment

• I hope the FO gets very creative here and at the very least takes their best shot. I think this kid can be the real deal, both pitching and hitting.

Comment

• Only eight clubs as of now have the ability to give a signing bonus of more than $1 million through next June: Texas ($3,535,000), the New York Yankees ($3.25 million), Pittsburgh ($2,266,750), Minnesota ($1,895,000), Arizona ($1,867,500), Miami ($1.74 million), Detroit ($1,072,000) and Seattle ($1,057,500).

https://japantoday.com/category/spor...in-costly-move

The Rangers could have roughly $5 million to offer Ohtani if they trade for the maximum they can acquire.
                                Last edited by mingjungtc; 09-13-2017, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X