No announcement yet.

Can we get Otani without Darvish?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BTW, that tweet and instagram post that Darvish posted yesterday was pretty unbelievable. Very intriguing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doug View Post
      BTW, that tweet and instagram post that Darvish posted yesterday was pretty unbelievable. Very intriguing.
      Especially without a QO attached. A team will probably go crazy with an offer but if we could get a reasonable deal that would be amazing

Comment

• Where will aces Yu Darvish and Jake Arrieta land this winter?

http://m.mlb.com/cutfour/2017/11/10/261088678

Comment

• Originally posted by Doug View Post
          BTW, that tweet and instagram post that Darvish posted yesterday was pretty unbelievable. Very intriguing.
          Yu's wife, who lived for a spell in Toronto and some US city I forgot which, really loves Dallas, accd to E Grant or someone. ... that's good. As long time resident/family here I can't help but get a little civic pride at these sorts of thoughts. Dallas ain't paradise but it has its upside. Yu's kids are probably in school somewhere maybe moving will be hard for them - all the family stuff you factor in ..

Ohtani faces about a 10 percent state income tax in Minnesota (I didn't know that), and of course NYC - the two other teams with the most to offer him as far as the relatively paltry salary he would make the next few years. That lowers both places to a little below 3 million they can offer Ohtani after taxes the next few years, while the Texas offer is about 3.5 million. Not much incentive really, but maybe a little.

Let's sign up all available Japanese pitchers this offseason might not be a bad scheme. JD always has an angle, not always a good one. Through all the poor drafting and lack of player development here over his tenure, JD finds a way to make his small bets pay off and keep us fairly competitive. I wanted to go off and write how owners should have hired Luhnow when he was let go a few years ago and I won't here even though I have the ammo, but I've had too many beers today and don't want to write a treatise. Rather let's all have fun today, and Yu may be back. It's the holidays, all is good.

Comment

• Darvish’s ex-wife Saeko has custody of their two children after they divorced.

Seiko Yamamoto (Four-Time World Champion) and Darvish have two sons, born in 2015 and in 2017, but have not released their names to the general public. It appears Seiko stayed in Texas after Darvish was traded.

Darvish has expressed contentment with the Rangers and living in Texas.

“He has had a great experience with the club,” Daniels said. “They love the city and he’s one of the most talented pitchers in the game. We have interest in him staying here.”

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/...139724463.html

Comment

• So if the budget is "situation specific" as it always has been, could you get Darvish and Arrietta both if they would sign for 20MM per year? Both guys like the Rangers and may be able to take high salaries that aren't completely crazy.

They will pursue Ohtani no matter what, I know the writers like Evan Grant are crying poor right now but that is exactly what the team wants to message out right now. They definitely have 50MM or so to spend and a rotation of Darvish, Arrietta, Hamels, Ohtani and Perez would make them one of the best teams in MLB. I could see the owners seeing this situation as the move that puts them over the top.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kaisersoze View Post
                So if the budget is "situation specific" as it always has been, could you get Darvish and Arrietta both if they would sign for 20MM per year? Both guys like the Rangers and may be able to take high salaries that aren't completely crazy.

They will pursue Ohtani no matter what, I know the writers like Evan Grant are crying poor right now but that is exactly what the team wants to message out right now. They definitely have 50MM or so to spend and a rotation of Darvish, Arrietta, Hamels, Ohtani and Perez would make them one of the best teams in MLB. I could see the owners seeing this situation as the move that puts them over the top.
                I think there's still too much uncertainty with the young position players. Being too aggressive could set us back big time. We gotta make smart choices

I think it's a 2 year plan to buy pitching. Buy smart this year, buy smart next offseason. And we live or die with the youngsters
                Last edited by Toby Harrah; 11-11-2017, 01:20 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mingjungtc View Post
                  Darvish’s ex-wife Saeko has custody of their two children after they divorced.

Seiko Yamamoto (Four-Time World Champion) and Darvish have two sons, born in 2015 and in 2017, but have not released their names to the general public. It appears Seiko stayed in Texas after Darvish was traded.

Darvish has expressed contentment with the Rangers and living in Texas.

“He has had a great experience with the club,” Daniels said. “They love the city and he’s one of the most talented pitchers in the game. We have interest in him staying here.”

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/...139724463.html
                  Apologies for being TMZ reporter, but it looks like Yu's 2 wives are Saeko and Seiko. Confusing.

OK let me see Saeko Yu's first wife with whom he has two kids - was/is a famous actress / tv anchor or both over there. They divorced before he came to the Rangers. She and those kids are in Japan always have been.

Yu's current wife Seiko - they have two kids also. She was the world wrestling champ. She's the one that likes Dallas.

It is just more conjecture from me but Yu lived a pretty lonely life here for a few years living at the Ritz downtown Dallas, maybe didn't like it here. .. Then he got married again, moved to nice digs in Preston Hollow bought home there, has 2 more kids, and dogs and stuff and likes it here now. Got his driver's license two years ago so he's not at the mercy of limos and stuff picking him up if he wants to go to 7-11.

Anyways just more meaningless backstory for whether he stays here or not. I think Yu's orthopedic surgeon, fairly well known dude, lives right across the street.

Does Yu have a back room for Ohtani (?) ... (I know Yu's place has an elevator and is pretty posh, so maybe they can be roomies ....)

Comment

• Originally posted by Toby Harrah View Post

I think there's still too much uncertainty with the young position players. Being too aggressive could set us back big time. We gotta make smart choices

I think it's a 2 year plan to buy pitching. Buy smart this year, buy smart next offseason. And we live or die with the youngsters
                    I do want to play all the young guys but I agree we have to be smart about it. Make them earn it. I think Calhoun could be pencilled in at LF or DH and give you roughly the same production as Choo, but with Guzman I think he could hold his own but would be better off with another year in AAA. If you acquire a veteran RH to play LF or 1B and Guzman forces his way into a major league spot, no problem. But with Guzman I wouldn't hand him the spot or force feed it at this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by bfkellum View Post

Apologies for being TMZ reporter, but it looks like Yu's 2 wives are Saeko and Seiko. Confusing.

OK let me see Saeko Yu's first wife with whom he has two kids - was/is a famous actress / tv anchor or both over there. They divorced before he came to the Rangers. She and those kids are in Japan always have been.

Yu's current wife Seiko - they have two kids also. She was the world wrestling champ. She's the one that likes Dallas.

It is just more conjecture from me but Yu lived a pretty lonely life here for a few years living at the Ritz downtown Dallas, maybe didn't like it here. .. Then he got married again, moved to nice digs in Preston Hollow bought home there, has 2 more kids, and dogs and stuff and likes it here now. Got his driver's license two years ago so he's not at the mercy of limos and stuff picking him up if he wants to go to 7-11.

Anyways just more meaningless backstory for whether he stays here or not. I think Yu's orthopedic surgeon, fairly well known dude, lives right across the street.

Does Yu have a back room for Ohtani (?) ... (I know Yu's place has an elevator and is pretty posh, so maybe they can be roomies ....)
                      Uh, Ohtani is already a millionaire from his playing days in Japan. I doubt he needs help from Darvish.

Comment

• I saw somewhere that said Darvish is an ace. I don't think he can be called an ace at this point. A good #2 but for sure not an ace. I'd love for him to be back here because her could team up with the Rangers other #2 and have two good pitchers to start with. They would have 2 #2's and a #4... A good place to start Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• 1. Will Giancarlo Stanton be traded this offseason? If so, where?

Responses: Yes, 32; No, 7; No opinion, 1

2. Which team will Shohei Otani be playing for on Opening Day 2018?

Responses: Yankees 7˝; Dodgers 7˝; Rangers 5; Nippon Ham Fighters 4; Mariners 4; Padres 1; Cubs 1; Astros 1; Giants 1; Red Sox 1. The remaining respondents had no prediction.

If Stanton's status is No. 1 on the hot stove must-watch list, Otani's destination qualifies as 1(a). He's a 23-year-old dual threat who's been called "Japan's Babe Ruth," so the euphoria is understandable.

Respondents who predicted Otani will remain with Nippon in 2018 did so amid a flurry of activity last week. In the span of a few days, Otani designated CAA as his agent, and the Fighters formally announced they will make him available to MLB teams through the posting system.

On Saturday, Otani held a news conference and told reporters, "I hope to do my best in America from next year on." But MLB and the players union still have to negotiate the specifics of a new posting system to satisfy the interests of all parties involved.

If Otani comes to America, what's the best fit? The Yankees and Dodgers are natural candidates as big-market teams in culturally diverse markets with an abundance of endorsement opportunities. Seattle has a strong history with Japanese players, and the Cubs could jump into the fray even though they didn't score strongly in this survey. Several respondents think Otani might lean toward an AL club because it would provide the opportunity to both pitch and DH. One talent evaluator advised keeping an eye on the Rangers, who signed Yu Darvish out of Japan in 2012 and have a strong scouting presence in Asia.

"Their work and overall track record in Asia has always been highly regarded," the evaluator said. "They're ahead of the curve on Otani."

3. Which Kansas City Royals free agent -- Eric Hosmer, Lorenzo Cain or Mike Moustakas -- will provide the best value over the course of his next contract?

Responses: Hosmer 25; Cain 10; Moustakas 4; No opinion 1

4. J.D. Martinez is the top free-agent bat on the market. Where does he wind up, and for what size deal?

Responses: Red Sox 23; Diamondbacks 5; Giants 5; Cardinals 2; Phillies 1; Cubs 1; Orioles 1; Don't know 2

5. What kind of impact will Yu Darvish's World Series performance have on his next contract? A) Zero -- it was only two starts; B) Somewhat. It's a caution flag; C) Substantial. He bombed twice on baseball's biggest stage.

Responses: Somewhat 23; Zero impact 13; Substantial impact 3; No opinion 1

Darvish enters free agency with a lot to recommend him. He's a four-time All-Star who leads MLB starters with an average of 11.04 strikeouts per nine innings since his debut in 2012. When he's on his game, he's as dominant as a starting pitcher gets.

But Darvish experienced some highly-publicized blips in his free-agent walk year. In a showcase start with Texas at the trade deadline, he allowed 10 runs to the Marlins in 3⅔ innings. After pitching well in the National League playoffs, he logged a 21.60 ERA in 3⅓ innings in two World Series starts.

About one-third of survey respondents said it won't matter in the slightest.

"Maybe 15 years ago it would create more attention, but now with the sabermetric community and small-sample-size-campaigning out there, it's a void blip in the radar," said an American League scout.

Some of the perception surrounding Darvish is already baked into his market projection. Several evaluators said Darvish has a reputation as a high-maintenance pitcher who needs everything to be just so when he takes the mound. Darvish supporters have pointed to tipped pitches and slick baseballs as a factor in his poor outings. But others see an enigmatic talent who's not at the level of Clayton Kershaw, Max Scherzer, Justin Verlander and other pitching royalty.

"I want to love the guy," said an American League scout. "He's got as good stuff as anybody in baseball, and several pitches. It's so easy and pretty and everything. But he just finds a way to get a lot of traffic, and then a long ball. It wasn't just the World Series. I saw him three times last year when I thought he was going to throw a no-hitter and he was out of there after [a few] innings."

Nevertheless, most survey respondents expect Darvish to land a deal well in excess of nine figures and $20 million annually.

"He doesn't strike me as a No. 1 guy," said an AL personnel man. "I think he's probably comfortable as a No. 2 as opposed to being the leader of the staff. But there's him and Jake Arrieta, and after that it's a big drop. I think the money will be there."

6. Where will Jake Arrieta sign as a free agent?

Responses: Rangers 10; Cubs 5 ˝; Phillies 4 ˝; Dodgers 3 ˝; Angels 3; Mariners 3; Yankees 2; Braves 1; Blue Jays 1; Nationals ˝. Don't know 6

The industry love for the Rangers is attributable to two factors: 1) Texas needs pitching help; and 2) Arrieta grew up in the Lone Star State and played at Texas Christian University.

Two locations that seem like prime Arrieta fits have yet to generate much traction. While the Angels appear to make some sense, GM Billy Eppler's comments to Jeff Fletcher of the Orange County Register suggest he'll focus on offensive upgrades and roll with the current group of Garrett Richards, Tyler Skaggs, Matt Shoemaker, Andrew Heaney, Nick Tropeano and Parker Bridwell.

The Phillies could also use a veteran arm to slot in with Aaron Nola atop the rotation. But president of baseball operations Andy MacPhail recently dismissed the idea of a big free-agent acquisition as a cure-all when he compared it to looking for a "unicorn."

Although some observers think the ship has sailed on an Arrieta-Cubs reunion, some haven't given up on the idea.

"After a bunch of back and forth, I see the Cubs and Arrieta realizing that they are meant for each other," an AL scout said. "He got his career on track there and they won a World Series. Why leave now when they know each other best?"

8. Which free-agent CarGo -- Carlos Gonzalez or Carlos Gomez -- is likely to re-establish himself as a prime player in 2018?

Responses: Carlos Gonzalez 29; Carlos Gomez 7; No response 3; Neither 1

http://kwese.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id...s-weigh-winter

Comment

• Arrieta is fine, but I'm definitely not out on Darvish. He was tipping his pitches. That we know. The Dodgers coaches thought they were brilliant limitting him to the slider and fastball, but when you know which one it is it's easier to hit him. Just let Darvish be Darvish and he'll be just fine.

Comment

• Originally posted by Redcap View Post

Uh, Ohtani is already a millionaire from his playing days in Japan. I doubt he needs help from Darvish.
                              From the April SI article: "Fighters sources say that Ohtani spends virtually nothing, lodging at the drab team dorms and reportedly living on less than the $1,000 a month his parents send him from his earnings. He takes team-subsidized cabs to games. He seems to spend mostly on fitness books and workout equipment. Depending on the sponsor that night, the Fighter Player of the Game will sometimes receive free bags of rice or salmon steaks or stalks of asparagus; Ohtani will happily take them, figuring it’s one less run to the grocery store."

Very unpredictable what he will do.

He doesn't even have a Japanese driver's license.

I wonder if he would move to the smallest ML city like a Royals? because it would be less stress on him, or whether he would want a walking neighborhood like a dense NE city.

Rangers have done so much courting of him over the years, maybe that counts for the most to him. He could live at the Days Inn, until the Texas Live! hotel is ready to live in across the street from the stadium.

Comment

• I'm sure that JD will"sell out" for Otani. He has been on the Rangers radar a long time......I expect the Rangers to be seriously considered.
                                And i expect them to be runners up...
                                Also expect my favorite of this class----Alex Cobb to go with Maddon and Hickey to the Cubs.....
                                So--i'm all for assembling all the second and third tier arms along with the Bush experiment.
                                Mikolas-RA Dickey-Jamie Garcia--Tyler Chatwood
                                Play the kids. Give Yohander Mendez his shot at the rotation. And stay in shape Colby ;-)

Comment

Working...
                                X