Jairo Beras is a pitcher?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jairo Beras is a pitcher?

Jairo Beras is a pitcher? When did this happen? Why? $4.5mm down the drain? Supposedly throwing 101 mph? Or at least 99? Why isn't this bigger news?

Originally posted by BattleshipTx View Post
    Jairo Beras is a pitcher? When did this happen? Why? $4.5mm down the drain? Supposedly throwing 101 mph? Or at least 99? Why isn't this bigger news?
    They started him about a month ago. The Rangers org is more impressed with his arm than his hitting. He pitches at about 95+ but probably needs to work on secondaries.

Comment

That may be good news. Lots of players have made the transition with great success. Our Matt Bush is but one.

Comment

About a month ago they didn't want to waste bullpen arms and had position players taking innings. Beras came out with zero coaching and threw 98 with minimal effort. They sent him to Hickory and he has a decent stats line while learning on the fly, give him an offseason with the coaches and he could come quickly. Especially as a reliever.

Carl is right, Matt Bush is a great example of the same type of thing happening.

Comment

I think Ogando is a closer example. To me, that means he is an experiment. I thought he would be a good outfielder. Surprised they gave up on that so easily.

Comment

I think Ogando is a closer example. To me, that means he is an experiment. I thought he would be a good outfielder. Surprised they gave up on that so easily.
            Five years in is not giving up on him IMO. He stopped progressing. Plus, his arm produces thunderbolts.

Comment

He may help the club somewhere down the road as a reliever, but it's kind of letdown given all the crap that they had to go through to sign him.

Comment

It depends on developing secondaries. Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Redcap View Post
                  It depends on developing secondaries. Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
                  I would say it is most important that he be able to command a fastball but it is just an experiment until he shows some capability to actually pitch w consistency. However if he were to develop into a relief pitcher the money would become irrelevant

Comment

Originally posted by RangersBamBam View Post
                    He may help the club somewhere down the road as a reliever, but it's kind of letdown given all the crap that they had to go through to sign him.
                    Yup, there were articles saying Beras was the best talent to come out of DR in ten years. I totally agree with the move, he would have to be protected on this 40 after this year and there was no chance of that happening - or of him being selected by another team.

And if he develops even one average breaking ball he could make the majors as a reliever if he throws 98 effortlessly.

Comment

That's right. I forgot about that. Ogando helped us quite a bit, too, and is a closer example. So, we have Bush and Ogando as examples. More?

Comment

Originally posted by Flounder1
                        That's right. I forgot about that. Ogando helped us quite a bit, too, and is a closer example. So, we have Bush and Ogando as examples. More?
                        Kenny Rogers?

Comment

Yeah, not sure when he gave up being a left-handed SS, but OK. Pretty cool we have these athletic guys like Beras who can do more than one thing. Joey Gallo could probably pitch, too. He's got a great arm.

Comment

Originally posted by Flounder1 View Post

We have a lot of catchers that we turned from position players. It is the same thinking outside the box.

Comment

Just think of how Rico Suave it will be to have Otani start the game pitching while hitting cleanup, Beras as the setup man throwing 100, then just like back in the little league days bring in Gallo from third base to close

Comment

Working...
                              X