No announcement yet.

It Is Time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As to the OP, it's hard for me to give up on my team. And up to last night I was still holding out hope that this team would start to right the ship for a long run at the second half and into the playoffs. But there is something eerie about what we have been witnessing. The Rangers right now remind me of the Dallas Cowboys before they won Superbowl VI. For years the "boys" could not get over the proverbial hump. There was always something going wrong and it was very seldom the same thing. It seems like every night or so - something else pops up to snag victory from the Rangers. I thought for a while it was just our bullpen. But I'm noticing that several other things are starting to "pile on" the losers wagon. Timely hitting, fielding, starting pitching, base running, bullpen, and even the coaches - base coaching, bench coaching, bullpen coaching - it all just seems to be waiting for someone else to mess up. This team is playing so tightly that they can't get out of their own way. Not only that but the interviews before and after the games are just not "normal". I'm starting to think that Bannister has lost this team for several reasons and in several different ways. I hope I'm wrong, but I wouldn't be too surprised to see this all blow up in their faces fairly soon. It just seems like the players have almost quit. Everyone is trying too hard to "save" the season rather than letting the game come to them. Wild swings at the plate, booting simple plays, throwing to the wrong place, not blocking poor pitches, missing signs, base running errors, wrong positioning for certain hitters. Obviously I'm frustrated and I have no idea how to fix it - it just doesn't seem "right". I'm beginning to think it might be close to just letting it all fall on it's own and looking to next year. But I really hate the thought of that. I was really looking forward to a great year this year for my Texas Rangers. As to whether it is time to kill this season - that fortunately is way above my pay grade. But I'm definitely loosing faith in this season being saved. I'd love to see them come roaring back the rest of the season and make "history". But because of free agency they have some real hard decisions to make with time pressures coming their way.
    Last edited by CowboysRangers; 07-04-2017, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CowboysRangers View Post
      Everyone is trying too hard to "save" the season rather than letting the game come to them.
      I don't think they have quit, I think its more about the fact that Beltre is the team leader and when he was out, players were pressing to try to make up for his absence. Evan Grant said on Twitter that the players were trying to hit 7 run HRs to make up for Beltre being out, I think there is some truth to that. Once Beltre came back and settled into the cleanup spot, this has been an entirely different team. Their W/L record doesn't reflect it because the bullpen has crapped the bed, but the offense is dramatically better.

Comment

Originally posted by CowboysRangers View Post
        As to the OP, it's hard for me to give up on my team. And up to last night I was still holding out hope that this team would start to right the ship for a long run at the second half and into the playoffs. But there is something eerie about what we have been witnessing. The Rangers right now remind me of the Dallas Cowboys before they won Superbowl VI. For years the "boys" could not get over the proverbial hump. There was always something going wrong and it was very seldom the same thing. It seems like every night or so - something else pops up to snag victory from the Rangers. I thought for a while it was just our bullpen. But I'm noticing that several other things are starting to "pile on" the losers wagon. Timely hitting, fielding, starting pitching, base running, bullpen, and even the coaches - base coaching, bench coaching, bullpen coaching - it all just seems to be waiting for someone else to mess up. This team is playing so tightly that they can't get out of their own way. Not only that but the interviews before and after the games are just not "normal". I'm starting to think that Bannister has lost this team for several reasons and in several different ways. I hope I'm wrong, but I wouldn't be too surprised to see this all blow up in their faces fairly soon. It just seems like the players have almost quit. Everyone is trying too hard to "save" the season rather than letting the game come to them. Wild swings at the plate, booting simple plays, throwing to the wrong place, not blocking poor pitches, missing signs, base running errors, wrong positioning for certain hitters. Obviously I'm frustrated and I have no idea how to fix it - it just doesn't seem "right". I'm beginning to think it might be close to just letting it all fall on it's own and looking to next year. But I really hate the thought of that. I was really looking forward to a great year this year for my Texas Rangers. As to whether it is time to kill this season - that fortunately is way above my pay grade. But I'm definitely loosing faith in this season being saved. I'd love to see them come roaring back the rest of the season and make "history". But because of free agency they have some real hard decisions to make with time pressures coming their way.
        no one wants to face this but I think you are on to something. banister is a hard headed manager. He does not adjust his approach. I believe he does not have a good feel for game situations. He is good in the clubhouse but often makes the wrong move in the games. I think doing that over and over will lose the clubhouse. The young players under his control do not seem to improve.there are issues surfacing here that may soon sink this ship. He ran a meritocracy when he came here. as he has been here longer and longer he has become a very conventional manager.

Comment

Sell. Sell. Sell. And let the healing...finally...begin.

Comment

Not if it takes as long as the Phillies have taken. (and they are still not there even though they had more valuable pieces to sell.)

Comment

My feeling is that a change in coaching is in order. Like I said earlier, this team is more talented than it's showing but it appears there's no coaching or direction. Maybe the Pirates won't pick up the option on Hurdle's contract.

Comment

I think it's time to evaluate JD's job if you think coaching is the problem. He wanted this guy and hired the last manager whom a lot of people regarded as a simpleton who cost us the WS. Is the GM incapable of hiring a good manager, or does he insist on having a "partner" on whom he can "suggest" lineup cards and strategies based on his sabermetrics. Remember, Bannister was touted the guy who would be flexible with the front office's desire to incorporate a numbers based approach to the game and build this great players-centered clubhouse environment. I think we're seeing that it doesn't matter. When you lack talent in the bullpen or starting rotation, it makes everything look rotten.

Comment

Originally posted by RangersBamBam View Post
                  I think it's time to evaluate JD's job if you think coaching is the problem. He wanted this guy and hired the last manager whom a lot of people regarded as a simpleton who cost us the WS. Is the GM incapable of hiring a good manager, or does he insist on having a "partner" on whom he can "suggest" lineup cards and strategies based on his sabermetrics. Remember, Bannister was touted the guy who would be flexible with the front office's desire to incorporate a numbers based approach to the game and build this great players-centered clubhouse environment. I think we're seeing that it doesn't matter. When you lack talent in the bullpen or starting rotation, it makes everything look rotten.
                  Yeah, I think it's time to evaluate JD as a GM, too. If we can't win this year, then it's not something that suddenly cropped up out of the blue. It's been a degradation of the franchise happening behind the scenes for quite some time. JD seemed to be in love with Profar, Odor and Gallo as the future of the franchise and a good argument can be made that all three have been a bust. Odor and Gallo have never seen a pitch they don't want to swing at. Profar hasn't lit up the scoreboard at all. Instead of trading them, he traded a number of good players who have gone on to great success with other franchises. The Fielder trade was a major failure, and these problems we've had every single year with the bullpen have finally caught up with him. He has no way to trade for decent relief pitching after already burning up the farm making up for his other foolish mistakes.

Yep, if we are forced to put up the white flag come the trade deadline, all the blame lays right at his feet if you look at this objectively. After all the mistakes that have been made since Nolan Ryan left, will the owners trust JD to rebuild the team? If this team does fail, at the very least JD needs to hire some more intelligent help in the front office. Losing Ryan and Levine has left the organization void of good talent evaluators, it looks like to me. Who told him that Odor needs a huge extension like that? Fire that guy!

He could have at least given Maddux a raise to keep him. Remember, everyone points to the Teixeira trade as a great move, but Levine was behind that. And, we haven't been to the World Series since Nolan Ryan left.

It might turn out we need some new blood in the front office, is all I'm saying. It may not, but the chances of this team winning anything this year are growing dimmer. I've been JD's biggest supporter, but sometimes you have to admit you "might" be wrong. I say "might," because JD has surprised me before, like when he hung with the team in 2015 and they won the division. I'm still pulling for him, don't get me wrong, but it's sure looking like there have been some things going wrong with this organization for quite some time that were covered up by all that winning.

Comment

Originally posted by RangersBamBam View Post
                    I believe that Yu Darvish is a talented member of the rotation, yet Banister seems to be unable to figure out why he's been pretty inconsistent. Or perhaps Yu doesn't have a good relationship with Brocail.

Comment

Originally posted by Flounder1 View Post

Yeah, I think it's time to evaluate JD as a GM, too. If we can't win this year, then it's not something that suddenly cropped up out of the blue. It's been a degradation of the franchise happening behind the scenes for quite some time. JD seemed to be in love with Profar, Odor and Gallo as the future of the franchise and a good argument can be made that all three have been a bust. Odor and Gallo have never seen a pitch they don't want to swing at. Profar hasn't lit up the scoreboard at all. Instead of trading them, he traded a number of good players who have gone on to great success with other franchises. The Fielder trade was a major failure, and these problems we've had every single year with the bullpen have finally caught up with him. He has no way to trade for decent relief pitching after already burning up the farm making up for his other foolish mistakes.

Yep, if we are forced to put up the white flag come the trade deadline, all the blame lays right at his feet if you look at this objectively. After all the mistakes that have been made since Nolan Ryan left, will the owners trust JD to rebuild the team? If this team does fail, at the very least JD needs to hire some more intelligent help in the front office. Losing Ryan and Levine has left the organization void of good talent evaluators, it looks like to me. Who told him that Odor needs a huge extension like that? Fire that guy!

He could have at least given Maddux a raise to keep him. Remember, everyone points to the Teixeira trade as a great move, but Levine was behind that. And, we haven't been to the World Series since Nolan Ryan left.

It might turn out we need some new blood in the front office, is all I'm saying. It may not, but the chances of this team winning anything this year are growing dimmer. I've been JD's biggest supporter, but sometimes you have to admit you "might" be wrong. I say "might," because JD has surprised me before, like when he hung with the team in 2015 and they won the division. I'm still pulling for him, don't get me wrong, but it's sure looking like there have been some things going wrong with this organization for quite some time that were covered up by all that winning.
                      Nolan Ryan was not a good talent evaluator and they did fine after he left. However, if I was going to infuse new blood into the front office, the really hot GM prospect is Jason McLeod who is the Cubs senior vice president in charge of player development and amateur scouting.

JD has spent 165 million of the owner's money and if he white flags it, they have to question him pretty closely. I know I would. Frankly, I think if he sells, he's done.

Comment

Originally posted by Redcap View Post

Nolan Ryan was not a good talent evaluator and they did fine after he left. However, if I was going to infuse new blood into the front office, the really hot GM prospect is Jason McLeod who is the Cubs senior vice president in charge of player development and amateur scouting.

JD has spent 165 million of the owner's money and if he white flags it, they have to question him pretty closely. I know I would. Frankly, I think if he sells, he's done.
                        I agree this didn't happen overnight, but the team has been slowly eroding behind the scenes since Nolan Ryan left, getting worse and worse. I don't see it as a coincidence. Remember when Ryan kept JD from signing Cliff Lee to a ridiculous contract that would have bankrupted the team if it was not already bankrupt? Without Ryan, the team has no sounding board to keep JD from giving a strike-out king like Odor all those horses and stuff. Not to mention the price of hot dogs has gone way up. I had to take out a loan to eat there last week. Did you read the article that said Levine was the driver of that Teixeira trade? I give JD lots of credit when he's right, and he did sign off on the Teixeira trade, and it did, in fact, put the Rangers over the top and make it a winning franchise, but you can't deny that the team has made some bad decisions the last few years. I'm hoping he can recover, but these repeatedly bad bullpens that have to be patched up every year and all these bad trades and injured players he's signed are becoming bothersome.

If we have to rebuild, he'll be the one in charge. So, maybe we give him a few months into next season to see if he did a good job if we can't pull off a postseason appearance this year.

Comment

What Kaiser said. Yep, we beat the Yankees and Astros recently (and Nats). While we only won one agaist the Indians, we won none against them last time. We're improving. Need to straighten out that bullpen, but JD is a proven master at that. Give it time. Lots of baseball left before the trade deadline. Hanels was awesome last time, Ross solid. The bullpen is the only problem.
                          Uh...have you been watching the defense or hitting, specifically in situational ABs? Bullpen is a big problem, but most definitely not the only one.

Comment

Originally posted by saclare View Post

Uh...have you been watching the defense or hitting, specifically in situational ABs? Bullpen is a big problem, but most definitely not the only one.
                            Every team has problems, but very, very few a problem like this bullpen. The team scores runs near the top of the league, so bring up hitting makes little sense. Our defense is not that bad, but this bullpen is one of the worst ever.

Comment

I agree this didn't happen overnight, but the team has been slowly eroding behind the scenes since Nolan Ryan left, getting worse and worse. I don't see it as a coincidence. Remember when Ryan kept JD from signing Cliff Lee to a ridiculous contract that would have bankrupted the team if it was not already bankrupt? Without Ryan, the team has no sounding board to keep JD from giving a strike-out king like Odor all those horses and stuff. Not to mention the price of hot dogs has gone way up. I had to take out a loan to eat there last week. Did you read the article that said Levine was the driver of that Teixeira trade? I give JD lots of credit when he's right, and he did sign off on the Teixeira trade, and it did, in fact, put the Rangers over the top and make it a winning franchise, but you can't deny that the team has made some bad decisions the last few years. I'm hoping he can recover, but these repeatedly bad bullpens that have to be patched up every year and all these bad trades and injured players he's signed are becoming bothersome.

If we have to rebuild, he'll be the one in charge. So, maybe we give him a few months into next season to see if he did a good job if we can't pull off a postseason appearance this year.
                              Ryan didn't stop JD from re-signing Cliff Lee. The offer was there but Cliff Lee took the Philly offer because of the medical facilities for his kid. I remember when Nolan Ryan brought us the done for Jeff Bagwell at a high price.

Comment

The Rangers have been getting worse over the past several years because they got old and/or injured. It's really a testament to JD and the job he's done that the team was able to remain competitive after most of the key players from our two World Series teams moved on. He made a few miscalculations with the Profar/Kinsler situation, the decision to let Nelson Cruz walk, the Choo signing and the Fielder trade, each of which narrowed our competitive window by varying degrees, but he also made a lot of really good moves that have consistently kept us in the playoff discussion to this point.

Everyone's acting like what's happened this year is some sort of big surprise. It really shouldn't have been. This team has been due a retooling for a little while now, and we've finally hit the point where it's time. JD knew this could be the case when he avoided adding any additional long-term contracts this past offseason, opting instead for high-risk, high-reward players on one-year deals in hopes of squeezing one more playoff run out of this core group. Unfortunately, it didn't work out as planned, but the plus side is we have a lot of assets to trade at the deadline and start the much needed process of getting younger and returning to the sustainable winning model that put us in back-to-back World Series to begin with.

Comment

Working...
                                X