It Is Time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It Is Time

If you are still thinking that the Rangers are going to get a wild card spot can you help me out with your reasoning?

I get that some people wanted to wait until the team was at full strength before they completed trades but that argument does not make sense to me any more.

Out of the following teams which do you think the Rangers are better than right now:

Red Sox, Yankees, Twins, Indians, Astros, Royals, Rays, Mariners, Angels, or Orioles.

Because in order for the team to make the playoffs they have to be better than all but four of those teams. Right now they are behind them.

I know they are only 2 games out of the final Wild Card spot, but is it realistic to expect them to be able to leap frog 6 teams.

There are four teams who are clearly better than the Rangers: Yankees, Indians, Astros, and Red Sox

The Angels have been playing without the best player in baseball and have made up ground on the Rangers. Trout will be back and they will get better.

The Twins are young and are improving.

The Royals are looking for one last run before they lose a bunch of free agents.

The Rays are just annoyingly the Rays and seem to overachieve regularly.

The Mariners and Orioles are relatively older but still younger than the Rangers.

So please someone help me out here as to why the team should not be selling every player over the age of 25 (maybe not including Chirinos and Bush).

There is not help on the farm that is going to come up and be difference makers. So it is time to trade everyone and start over.

Not trying to be pessimistic but just trying to be realistic IMHO.

Originally posted by andymoteach View Post
    There are four teams who are clearly better than the Rangers: Yankees, Indians, Astros, and Red Sox
    We won our last series against the Yankees - in NY. We won our last series against Houston - in Houston. We did lose 3 of 4 to Cleveland but they are a very good team.

And like you said yourself, this team is just now getting healthy and playing with the team they put together in the offseason.

Comment

The reason you don't do a tear down like that is that the team will be out of any contention for years, and any prospects might not even work out. Again, I like to use the Seattle/Texas trade where we received Cliff Lee and Seattle wound up with nothing that is helping them now. It would be a real drag to move into a new stadium and have a 100 loss team.

Comment

You compete to the bitter end. Tear downs are a waste of time. Your young future star players are usually developed from within.

Comment

Originally posted by RangersBamBam View Post
          You compete to the bitter end. Tear downs are a waste of time. Your young future star players are usually developed from within.
          And in our case, we don't have to trade any star players to get Mazara, Gallo, Odor, Andrus, Guzman, etc.

Comment

I'm with Andy. It's time to call a turd a turd. There is no honor in "competing" to a .500 record, when you could make moves to improve the team going forward.

I'm not advocating a full-scale tear down -- I'd keep Beltre, Andrus and Hamels -- but I'd trade every expiring contract and Choo if someone will take the contract.

Comment

Originally posted by Redcap View Post
              The reason you don't do a tear down like that is that the team will be out of any contention for years, and any prospects might not even work out. Again, I like to use the Seattle/Texas trade where we received Cliff Lee and Seattle wound up with nothing that is helping them now. It would be a real drag to move into a new stadium and have a 100 loss team.
              you could also end up with a guy like brinson starting in CF next year or two along with a pitcher on the upside. If you dont believe in your scouts you shouldnt even have them. this team is going no where. we have seen what a pitcher like miller and chapman cost in young players. we dont have what it takes to land one and the price would be too high anyway for a marginally competitive team

Comment

Originally posted by rainag View Post

you could also end up with a guy like brinson starting in CF next year or two along with a pitcher on the upside. If you dont believe in your scouts you shouldnt even have them. this team is going no where. we have seen what a pitcher like miller and chapman cost in young players. we dont have what it takes to land one and the price would be too high anyway for a marginally competitive team
                But you aren't going to get a guy like Brinson for the players we would move at the deadline. And if you move guys like Darvish and Hamels that will bring back that kind of prospect, you aren't going to compete for several years.

The team is basically at .500, which it was at this point in 2011 when it ended up a Nelson Cruz catch away from being the World Champions. Way, way too early to throw in the towel.

Plus the playoffs are an entirely different thing, last year this team won every close game and tanked in the first playoff series. Meanwhile every year wildcard teams go deep in the playoffs, which this team is completely capable of if they are healthy.

Comment

"Tear downs are a waste of time." Tell that to the Asteos and tell that to Theo Epstein and the Chicago Cubs. And tell it to Brian Cashman and the MFNYY.

Comment

I'm with Andy. It's time to call a turd a turd. There's no honor in "competing" to a .500 record when there are moves you could make to improve the organization in both the near and long term.

That said, I'm not advocating a full-scale tear down. I'd keep Hamels, Beltre and Andrus, among others. But I would like to see every player with an expiring contract traded -- including Darvish, unless an extension agreement has been reached in principle -- as well as Choo, if anyone would take that contract. This window is closed. It's time to turn our attention to the next one, and the longer we wait by deluding ourselves into believing this team is something it's not, the longer we delay the start of our next competitive phase.
                    Last edited by dannyboy8517; 07-03-2017, 12:47 AM.

Comment

What Kaiser said. Yep, we beat the Yankees and Astros recently (and Nats). While we only won one agaist the Indians, we won none against them last time. We're improving. Need to straighten out that bullpen, but JD is a proven master at that. Give it time. Lots of baseball left before the trade deadline. Hanels was awesome last time, Ross solid. The bullpen is the only problem.

Comment

Doug, the Yankees haven't benefitted at all from last year's teardown. Those players aren't on the field, yet. The Astros went through nearly a decade of hell from their teardown, proving Kaiser's main point we're in a world of hurt with a teardown. The Rangers right now have a better chance at tbe postseason than the Cubs, who also suffered misery getting where they now are, further proving Kaiser's point. Please, use better examples, at least, if you can find any

Comment

Choo is expensive, but a huge offensive contributor.

Comment

Tell that to Andrus, Feliz, Harrison, Cruz, and Hamilton.

Comment

What gets lost in this debate is it becomes a false dichotomy between "compete now" or "blow up the entire team now". The team has several players they could trade right now that they will probably lose in October anyway. Trading those players will help bolster the farm without significantly hindering the team's ability to compete in 2018 or 2019. However, if they don't trade those particular players this season, it may very well end up hindering the team's ability to compete in 2018 to 2019.

I don't see Beltre accepting a trade anywhere. It's hard to imagine anyone taking Choo or Andrus' contract. If The Dude were in charge, he'd trade all to-be free agents and fire Bannister and anyone who had anything to do with coaching the bullpen this year. The Dude would also cut Napoli and give Profar some playing time. Profar has been killing it in AAA.

Comment

Working...
                              X