Coaching Shake Up?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coaching Shake Up?

Bannister seems to be universally liked.
    But how long of a leash do Brocail, Iopace and Holman have?
    At some point, don't you have hold them accountable for the entire team not living up to expectations?

In the meantime, (Washington) - typo! - sure does seem to be enjoying having Mike Maddux around.
    Last edited by Trogdor79; 06-28-2017, 06:36 PM.

Originally posted by Trogdor79 View Post
    At some point, don't you have hold them accountable for the entire team not living up to expectations?

In the meantime, Milwaukee sure does seem to be enjoying having Mike Maddux around.
    That's pretty good considering that Maddux is in Washington with the Nats.

Comment

Nationals are playing the Cubs. Brewers are leading the Cubs for one game. If Maddux help Washington beat the Cubs, Milwaukee sure does seem to be enjoying…..

Comment

In the meantime, Milwaukee sure does seem to be enjoying having Mike Maddux around.
        I didn't understand and didn't like letting Maddux go.

As for your initial point...who's expectations are you talking about? A lot of knowledgeable people in baseball had modest expectations of the 2017 Rangers. Heck, during the Yankee series I was listening to the Yankee broadcasting team and they said given the injuries and situation of the roster...the coaches have *over-performed*.

For nearly every player who has under-performed I can name a player who is out-performing expectation.

Comment

Originally posted by Redcap View Post

That's pretty good considering that Maddux is in Washington with the Nats.
          Glad you made that point.....I was beginning to believe that I had missed something....

Comment

I just find it hard to blame the coaches when veterans like Mike Napoli totally blow. Napoli and Odor are the only two underperforming on offense. I thought Odor had wildly over performed last year and called it out. I don't think you can blame his downward spiral this year on coaching - it's an organization wide failure that starts at the very top - JD paid him the stupid big contract. He has Hank Blalock written all over him and they need to get him turned around in a big way so he doesnt turn out like Hank did. Sticking him in the five hole and telling him he is a power hitter is the dumbest thing they can do. Really dumb.

Regarding pitching, Dyson and Barnette really underperformed but no matter me else really comes mind. It's really been an injury deal with the pitchers. Hamels, Cashner, Ross, Diekman, etc. if Dyson performs as expected they are basically 10 games over .500 right now, or close to it.

I'mnot saying coaches and managers can't do better, but it's just not their fault that Napoli is a black hole or that JD and company overlooked Odor's fatal flaws and gave him the big $$.

Comment

This team is actually living up to realistic expectations. There were a few people who deluded themselves into thinking this team was a 95-100 win team, but that was never going to happen. Honestly, if anyone on the coaching staff should be blamed, it's Bannister. Aside from the relievers who can't keep the ball in the park, Bannister is to blame for putting struggling pitchers in high-leverage situations night after night after night.

But this team over performed last season, too. It was statistically improbable for them to end up with as many wins as they did last year. If The Dude remembers correctly, Texas only scored one more run than they allowed last season. So maybe JD was as delusional as some fans on this board and thought they could barely replace the players they lost and last season and end up with similar results against stiffer competition.

Comment

Last season, the reason they won so many one run games is that the bullpen kept in the game and either saved the lead or close enough that they could come back. This year, the bullpen has fallen apart. What skewed the run differential was when they lost, they really lost big and part of that was scrambling for starters.

If the bullpen was working all year like it did tonight, then they would be well up in the WC and maybe still pressing the Astros.

BTW, the bullpen last season was 41 and 20. This year's is 13 and 15 so far.
                Last edited by Redcap; 06-27-2017, 08:17 PM.

Comment

The bullpen lacks talent depth. The pitching coaches are doing about much as you can hope with these relievers. As for the hitting, we all know K's are a problem. But the way this team gambles on athletic guys with power who have questions about their contact ability, it's naturally going to lead to an all or nothing lineup at the major league level.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug View Post

I just find it hard to blame the coaches when veterans like Mike Napoli totally blow. Napoli and Odor are the only two underperforming on offense. I thought Odor had wildly over performed last year and called it out. I don't think you can blame his downward spiral this year on coaching - it's an organization wide failure that starts at the very top - JD paid him the stupid big contract. He has Hank Blalock written all over him and they need to get him turned around in a big way so he doesnt turn out like Hank did. Sticking him in the five hole and telling him he is a power hitter is the dumbest thing they can do. Really dumb.

Regarding pitching, Dyson and Barnette really underperformed but no matter me else really comes mind. It's really been an injury deal with the pitchers. Hamels, Cashner, Ross, Diekman, etc. if Dyson performs as expected they are basically 10 games over .500 right now, or close to it.

I'mnot saying coaches and managers can't do better, but it's just not their fault that Napoli is a black hole or that JD and company overlooked Odor's fatal flaws and gave him the big $$.
                    You sum it up well. Wonder if we could sell Napoli on coming off the bench since it would be best for the team. Have Choo DH and DeShields LF. Makes more sense all around

Odor should be sent down and who knows how he would take it but Robinson could give us some solid production

Comment

Originally posted by ProfarMVP View Post

I didn't understand and didn't like letting Maddux go.

As for your initial point...who's expectations are you talking about? A lot of knowledgeable people in baseball had modest expectations of the 2017 Rangers. Heck, during the Yankee series I was listening to the Yankee broadcasting team and they said given the injuries and situation of the roster...the coaches have *over-performed*.

For nearly every player who has under-performed I can name a player who is out-performing expectation.
                      Those Yankee broadcasters are right on point. It's like 2015 when Banister guided this team through hell to win the Division and won the manager-of-the-year award. At some point fans have to admit that injuries affected this team, that Banister had a bad hand because of unexpected poor performances from some relief pitchers, and that JD could not do anything about it because teams hardly ever trade away key bullpen arms in April and May. JD could not have prepared more depth for a bullpen with that many underperformances. Those are glaring FACTS! Those facts are so obvious that even the Yankee broadcasters could see them clearly from 1500 miles away.

The hypercriticism of Banister and his coaching staff is nothing more than rubbish. They've done a good job under highly unusual and unanticipated circumstances.

We also have to recognize that the team itself has overcome adversity and never quit. That says a lot about Banister's leadership and the character of the Texas Rangers players. They filled in for their team leader, Beltre, for two months only to be hit by the Hamels injury and then the Gomez injury. All that, yet here they are back over .500, winning at a quicker and quicker pace with May being an improvement and June an even bigger improvement against a tougher schedule. They have a bright future ahead of them the remainder of 2017. It's a future they created for themselves with their tenacity and perseverance.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug View Post
                        Napoli and Odor are the only two underperforming on offense.
                        That's actually not terrible news. We all know they have it within themselves to improve. It would not take a lot of improvement for them to make a big contribution the second half... a ball falls in here or there, a walk once in awhile, something like that every week or two. It all adds up. I'd take a walk or a hit a week from either of them. It would improve the offense. That said, when your team ranks third in runs scored it's nothing to be ashamed of for sure.

I'm mildly surprised. To start the season I thought OBP would be a plus for this team. It's been anything but. I looked at what Choo consistently delivers getting on base, and the historic records of Napoli and Lucroy who have demonstrated pitch selection skills. Only Choo has not disappointed me. Lucroy is coming around, but Odor has been a huge disappointment getting even worse on OBP. He wasn't that great before, but now he's looking hopeless. You are dead on that Napoli and Odor need to start getting on base, but I think they can.

Comment

Originally posted by Flounder1 View Post

Those Yankee broadcasters are right on point. It's like 2015 when Banister guided this team through hell to win the Division and won the manager-of-the-year award. At some point fans have to admit that injuries affected this team, that Banister had a bad hand because of unexpected poor performances from some relief pitchers, and that JD could not do anything about it because teams hardly ever trade away key bullpen arms in April and May. JD could not have prepared more depth for a bullpen with that many underperformances. Those are glaring FACTS! Those facts are so obvious that even the Yankee broadcasters could see them clearly from 1500 miles away.

The hypercriticism of Banister and his coaching staff is nothing more than rubbish. They've done a good job under highly unusual and unanticipated circumstances.

We also have to recognize that the team itself has overcome adversity and never quit. That says a lot about Banister's leadership and the character of the Texas Rangers players. They filled in for their team leader, Beltre, for two months only to be hit by the Hamels injury and then the Gomez injury. All that, yet here they are back over .500, winning at a quicker and quicker pace with May being an improvement and June an even bigger improvement against a tougher schedule. They have a bright future ahead of them the remainder of 2017. It's a future they created for themselves with their tenacity and perseverance.
                          the yankee broadcasters are so yankee centric they barely know other teams exist. You should listen to their broadcasts. They were apoplectic that the rangers took 2 out of 3 from their beloveds. put way more of the blame on their team than credit to texas.

Comment

I meant Washington. I must have written Milwaukee because he used to coach for them and the useless information part of my brain had that one buried.

Comment

I meant Washington. I must have written Milwaukee because he used to coach for them and the useless information part of my brain had that one buried.
                              Well....Washington does have about the worst bullpen in the majors - even worse than the Rangers, I believe.

Comment

Working...
                              X