Rangers and "Who's on First"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rangers and "Who's on First"

It's staggering the way the Rangers farm system has fed MLB with first basemen.

I thought it would be interesting to compile a list and see how they are doing. Think about the NL East alone, where four of the five teams feature...or have recently featured...Ranger farm boys.

Mark Teixera, Yankees
    Adrian Gonzalez, Dodgers
    Mitch Moreland, Red Sox
    Justin Smoak, Blue Jays
    Chris Davis, Orioles
    Joey Gallo*, Rangers

*Of course it's preferable Gallo ends up at third...but right now...he's predominately a first baseman.

More to come when I have some time...

Originally posted by ProfarMVP View Post

I thought it would be interesting to compile a list and see how they are doing. Think about the NL East alone, where four of the five teams feature...or have recently featured...Ranger farm boys.

Mark Teixera, Yankees
    Adrian Gonzalez, Dodgers
    Mitch Moreland, Red Sox
    Justin Smoak, Blue Jays
    Chris Davis, Orioles
    Joey Gallo*, Rangers

*Of course it's preferable Gallo ends up at third...but right now...he's predominately a first baseman.

This has been going on for years. You can go back a little farther and include Carlos Pena and Travis Hafner, if you want. A lot of teams have gotten a lot of mileage out of Rangers first base prospects.

Comment

Originally posted by ProfarMVP View Post

Mark Teixera, Yankees
      Adrian Gonzalez, Dodgers
      Mitch Moreland, Red Sox
      Justin Smoak, Blue Jays
      Chris Davis, Orioles
      Joey Gallo*, Rangers

Remember what the Rangers got in trade for both Smoak and Teixeira. I like them playing for other teams. Now AG was a horrible trade, they ran out of time on Davis, but should have re-signed Moreland to another deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Redcap View Post

Remember what the Rangers got in trade for both Smoak and Teixeira. I like them playing for other teams. Now AG was a horrible trade, they ran out of time on Davis, but should have re-signed Moreland to another deal.
        My intent certainly wasn't to be critical w/my original post, though yes, we sure know the AG trade was disastrous. It's just a curious thing to me, particularly w/so many of them ending up in the AL East.

I see your argument about Moreland, but think its better we moved on. Napoli is a good presence for these younger players and can still inflict some damage when he's on.

Plus, Moreland could have been a 'progress stopper' for Gallo and Guzman.

Guzman is looking lately like he may be another notable name on this first baseman list. I suspect we'll be keeping him around awhile.
        Last edited by ProfarMVP; 06-20-2017, 01:24 PM.

Comment

problem with moreland is he is really getting mileage out of the green monster for doubles. Just long outs here. he is also injury prone and streaky

Comment

Originally posted by rainag View Post
            problem with moreland is he is really getting mileage out of the green monster for doubles. Just long outs here. he is also injury prone and streaky
            I doubt the Green Monster is doing that much for him particularly since he's a lefty. His home/away stats are slightly tilted away from Fenway but pretty close.

Comment

Moreland would have been as valuable to this team for his defense as offense. Our defense at first this year has been bad for the most part, and that's a position where bad defense makes every other infielder's defense worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Redcap
                I doubt the Green Monster is doing that much for him particularly since he's a lefty. His home/away stats are slightly tilted away from Fenway but pretty close.
                He has hit the ball the other way Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Comment

Moreland is a really good defender but Gallo is similar napoli is not good Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Comment

Moreland is a really good defender but Gallo is similar napoli is not good Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
                    We had 6 years with Moreland and he didn't distinguish himself. He didn't earn an extended contract. He is a good guy and I'm glad he is having a good FA year with Boston but I'm not sad he is elsewhere.

Comment

It wouldn't have taken an extended contract to keep him here. You could have done it with a one-year deal worth more than the $5.5 million Boston gave him. Instead we decided to pay twice that for Napoli who hasn't hit, can't defend and forces Choo into the field on the days he DHes. Given those two choices, I would have preferred Moreland.

Comment

Originally posted by texassooner1 View Post

We had 6 years with Moreland and he didn't distinguish himself. He didn't earn an extended contract. He is a good guy and I'm glad he is having a good FA year with Boston but I'm not sad he is elsewhere.
                        Totally agree. I always liked Mitch but he never established himself and he was also asking for something like 45 Million over 3 years when he started FA.

Comment

Moreland never did enough in the minors or in the majors -- for a sustained period of time -- to be seen as "first baseman of the future." He was always seen as a stop-gap player, an interim bandaid until the "real deal" could be found.

I suspect that's how he's viewed in Boston too. But he's been pretty good...on pace for 2+ WAR.

Comment

mitch was a great when on a streak. Otherwise not of much use. Good defender but JG will be as good or better with regular time there.

Comment

Working...
                            X