Trade Central

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...nd-profar.html

Evan Grant suggests the Rangers hook up with San Diego for a trade for Brad Hand and floats Profar as a "starting point". I think he wants Texas to give up more than Profar for a relief pitcher. This idea is so dumb, The Dude doesn't even want to go into it. Just see link below for The Dude's official reaction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEncdhmJhHM

Comment

• Originally posted by RangerDude2016 View Post
      https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...nd-profar.html

Evan Grant suggests the Rangers hook up with San Diego for a trade for Brad Hand and floats Profar as a "starting point". I think he wants Texas to give up more than Profar for a relief pitcher. This idea is so dumb, The Dude doesn't even want to go into it. Just see link below for The Dude's official reaction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEncdhmJhHM
      You should be able to get Hand and a couple of good prospects for Profar. They may be from the lower minors, but you should be able to get a couple of really good ones.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flounder1 View Post

You should be able to get Hand and a couple of good prospects for Profar. They may be from the lower minors, but you should be able to get a couple of really good ones.
        Unfortunately I don't think that's the case. Hand and Profar have the same contract status and Hand has more trade value than Profar. I don't have DMN access, but Grant seems to believe it would take Profar+ for Hand. If that's true, it would be a disaster of a trade. It would be Adrian Gonzalez 2.0. The Dude is gonna throw an epic temper tantrum if that happens.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flounder1 View Post

Hand is a much more valuable commodity right now than Profar. Hand could well be the top relief arm on the market, and you can bet the Padres will be using Yankees' Andrew Miller trade as the starting point for their demands. They won't get that much because he's not as good a pitcher as Miller is. But they'll get significantly more than Profar, whose trade value has plummeted as a result of his injuries and inability to consistently hit major league pitching to this point.

That said, I'd be amenable to a Profar-plus for Hand swap if it doesn't require any of our top prospects (Guzman, Mendez, Taveras, Matuela, etc.). If we could get it done with a couple of low-level lottery tickets or quad-A types, I think it would be a good move for the present and future.
          Last edited by dannyboy8517; 07-11-2017, 11:16 PM.

Comment

• Profar is such a wild card to me. I don't know how you can assess his value objectively except to look at his production in the MLB and minors over the past 2 years...which certainly hasn't been all that sunny.

Sure, former #1 prospect and all that. He's still only 24 and could turn into a very valuable player. But to me the lack of foot speed and current hit tool are big limiters on his value. It's rare to see him sting baseballs.

He has sound fundamentals, great approach at the plate. There have been glimpses of power. I'm not as sold on him as some here, despite my moniker.

As for Hand...he has great value for a *contending team that has justification to buy*. I don't see us as buyers.
            Last edited by ProfarMVP; 07-11-2017, 11:30 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ProfarMVP View Post
              Profar is such a wild card to me. I don't know how you can assess his value objectively except to look at his production in the MLB and minors over the past 2 years...which certainly hasn't been all that sunny.

Sure, former #1 prospect and all that. He's still only 24 and could turn into a very valuable player. But to me the lack of foot speed and current hit tool are big limiters on his value. It's rare to see him sting baseballs.

He has sound fundamentals, great approach at the plate. There have been glimpses of power. I'm not as sold on him as some here, despite my moniker.

As for Hand...he has great value for a *contending team that has justification to buy*. I don't see us as buyers.
              I see us as buyers of long(ish) term assets, and Hand would apply. I'm not sold at all on this team's ability to contend this season, but with the right moves over the next offseason or two, we could certainly compete in 2018 and 2019 -- during which time Hand would likely be a major asset. I'm all for adding controllable talent that helps us win now and in the future. I'm not for any short-term moves that add short-term assets or aging players for big money.

Comment

• Originally posted by dannyboy8517 View Post

Hand is a much more valuable commodity right now than Profar. Hand could well be the top relief arm on the market, and you can bet the Padres will be using Yankees' Andrew Miller trade as the starting point for their demands. They won't get that much because he's not as good a pitcher as Miller is. But they'll get significantly more than Profar, whose trade value has plummeted as a result of his injuries and inability to consistently hit major league pitching to this point.

That said, I'd be amenable to a Profar-plus for Hand swap if it doesn't require any of our top prospects (Guzman, Mendez, Taveras, Matuela, etc.). If we could get it done with a couple of low-level lottery tickets or quad-A types, I think it would be a good move for the present and future.
                Yeah, I read his contract details wrong. Hand also is still under arbitration for two years after this one, so you might have to give up more than Profar. It would be a good move for the present and future, but it might cost too much and the competition might be too much for the poor Rangers. So I don't know that we are really in the position to make a trade for Hand, but that does not mean other possibilities aren't out there.

Comment

• Tim Cowlishaw has been reading The Dude's posts.

http://newsvader.com/id/17356792141

Comment

• You are far from the only one who wants to sell the entire team and wait 4 to 6 years to see results. Might as well trade Odor, Gallo, Deshields, and Mazara too.

Comment

• Redcap, I see where you are coming from, but the players you mentioned might help us lose 100 games while putting up pretenses of being a major league franchise if we surround them with the right scrubs and castoffs. If JD plans to resort to subterfuge and gaming the system to win, like the Astros did, we have to at least field a team for several years. So, I'm not sure we should trade them all. I tend to agree they will likely all be retired before this team has another chance like this to win anything, anyway. If we aren't going to try to win now and aren't going to get some good free agents this winter, it might be best to put the entire team on the market, including all the younger players.

Comment

• Originally posted by Redcap View Post
                        You are far from the only one who wants to sell the entire team and wait 4 to 6 years to see results. Might as well trade Odor, Gallo, Deshields, and Mazara too.
                        One of those four players is not like the others. The Dude would be open to trading Odor, but The Dude is on record as having Gallo, Mazara, and Profar essentially untouchable. A total tear down is not necessary. I like Cowlishaw's description of a "reboot". If they begin preparing for 2018 now, I believe Texas could, at the very least, be a Wild Card contender next year. They may even be able to give Houston a run depending on who they get in the trade market and how successful they are this Winter.

Comment

• Originally posted by RangerDude2016 View Post

One of those four players is not like the others. The Dude would be open to trading Odor, but The Dude is on record as having Gallo, Mazara, and Profar essentially untouchable. A total tear down is not necessary. I like Cowlishaw's description of a "reboot". If they begin preparing for 2018 now, I believe Texas could, at the very least, be a Wild Card contender next year. They may even be able to give Houston a run depending on who they get in the trade market and how successful they are this Winter.
                          Bullcrap. This is not the NFL or the NBA where one or two players drafted or prospects can turn around a team in one season. Chances are any prospects received won't contribute to the team at all or for several years. And the Rangers have never, never, never signed a TORP out of free agency. In fact, they've only had one TORP come up through their system and that was Kevin Brown many long years ago. Without adequate pitching the Rangers will be nothing for a long, long time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Redcap View Post

Bullcrap. This is not the NFL or the NBA where one or two players drafted or prospects can turn around a team in one season. Chances are any prospects received won't contribute to the team at all or for several years. And the Rangers have never, never, never signed a TORP out of free agency. In fact, they've only had one TORP come up through their system and that was Kevin Brown many long years ago. Without adequate pitching the Rangers will be nothing for a long, long time.
                            Key phrase being "depending on who they get in the trade market and how successful they are this Winter". If they get only A-ball prospects and don't get any impact free agents this Winter, you're probably right. It will take longer to retake the division. If they can get some near-ready minor league talent or even some major league bullpen help controllable beyond this season and then have some success this Winter, 2018 and 2019 can be very much in play for Texas. But they have to start preparing now. It's possible to trade Darvish and then resign him. It may even be possible to sign both Darvish and Otani. The Dude continues to believe that Profar will be an impact player as soon as next season. If those three things happen, it's possible they could retake the division next year. Especially if they get a decent haul of prospects and/or bullpen help in the next three weeks.

Comment

• right now I make my best pitch to sign either or both of darvish and gomez. I need to know and if they dont sign I trade them and say lets revisit this in the off season

Comment

• Originally posted by rainag View Post
                                right now I make my best pitch to sign either or both of darvish and gomez. I need to know and if they dont sign I trade them and say lets revisit this in the off season
                                I agree with Darvish, but I'm torn on Gomez unless he's willing to take a discount. I like Gomez, but I'm afraid he's going to command more money than he's really worth. I think we should trade him and let him hit free agency. Lorenzo Cain will also be a free agent. I prefer Cain's game to Gomez. Cain is stronger defensively, strikes out less, is a little more reliable, and is the same age. If Gomez likes it in Texas as much as he says, he may return if we miss out on Cain or any other available CF's via trade.

I figure Gomez is likely to command a contract similar to Desmond's last year, which was excessive. If we're going to overpay, I think I'd rather overpay for Cain.

Comment

Working...
                                X