No announcement yet.

Trade Central

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How about trading Lucroy for some bullpen arms? the DBacks are muddling around with Iannetta and Herrman at catcher, and they have a couple of bullpen arms (Jimmie Scherfy and Jared Miller) in AAA and AA. Hey JD, call them up and Let's Make a Deal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flounder1 View Post
      I think he knows that. I think his point is the Astros could fall apart starting right now just like the Cubs did starting at the beginning of the year. Most of the Astros starting pitchers have tender arms that turn to mush about this this time of the year, and their team's bats go limp in September. We could be on the verge of seeing an epic collapse. .
      We can agree on one thing. If there is an Astros collapse...it would be epic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toby Harrah View Post
        No thanks on that deal. McCutchen is 30 and his best days are behind him.

Comment

• Originally posted by dannyboy8517 View Post
          The players we're talking about trading will most likely be gone next season through free agency anyway. I know some have suggested trading Beltre, Hamels and Andrus, but I think most in the fire sale camp are talking primarily about the expiring contracts and Choo -- the one really bad contract left on the books.

If this team isn't going to make the playoffs or capable of winning the postseason, it only makes sense to turn these rental players into some young talent to help rebuild our depleted farm system. Hanging onto these guys to win 85 games is the worst thing we could do.
          Choo is owed $62M over the next 3 years. Given his production, that is not a "really bad contract". He is one of the Rangers best offensive players and if he was gone they would really miss him. His production (and his type of production) would be difficult for them to replace. If he was a FA this winter, he might could get close to what he is owed now, and if the Rangers want to trade him, there is no way they will have to pay half the contract as some have suggested. JMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Redcap View Post

No, they are not dumb which is why they want to be on a team that has a chance to win next season and not a couple of years down the road. Now, if you overpay Yu at the tune of 35 million a year for the next 6 years, I'm quite sure he'll sign. It takes just a bit of extra cash to talk that player into staying for a rebuild.... see Greinke.
            you are way out there on your outlook of this. Napoli isnt going to be here next year. lucroy isnt going to be here. ross and cashner are not under control. Gomez is probably 50/50. The rest of these guys are likely going to be here with a big part of the team being the 3 young guys and choo and elvis and beltre w chirinos. What they are likely to move should not even move the needle on their future performance. Yu is not going to think this team is much worse off moving some marginal parts from a team that is underperforming. If he does view it that way he was not committed to what they are doing anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doug View Post

Choo is owed $62M over the next 3 years. Given his production, that is not a "really bad contract". He is one of the Rangers best offensive players and if he was gone they would really miss him. His production (and his type of production) would be difficult for them to replace. If he was a FA this winter, he might could get close to what he is owed now, and if the Rangers want to trade him, there is no way they will have to pay half the contract as some have suggested. JMO.
              tend to agree here. if choo plays 120 games a year over 3 years until you can replace what he does it is very valuable

Comment

• Problem is that unless someone is desperate for pitching, Ross and Cashner have more value to the Rangers finishing out the year here. As for Napoli, I'd DFA him and eat the money. I've already cut ties with Lucroy.

Comment

• Napoli has 4 HRs in 4 games for July, we might want to wait a week or two before cutting him lose. He also had an out tonight that was caught at the OF wall.

Comment

$62 million over three years is a massive overpay for what Choo is at this point in his career. And he's likely to decline further in his age 35-37 seasons. Choo is a solid offensive player, but he's missed time to injury every year he's been here and his butchery in the outfield limits the flexibility we have both in building the roster during the offseason and putting together a lineup on a nightly basis.

If Choo was a free agent this winter, there's no way he'd command a three-year, $62 million deal IMO. And if some team not called the Rangers gave it to him, there's not a poster on this board that would think that's a good contract and most would call it a terrible one. That is a ton of money to spend on a DH with an .750-.800 OPS who's going to have to repeat his first half this year just to finish the season with 2 WAR.

I don't dislike Choo as a person or player. He has some skills this team will need to replace if/when they trade him. But that contract has been a disaster since it was inked. And while it might get more tradeable due to the length of obligation, it's not going to get better with age. If we can unload it, we should.

Comment

• Originally posted by rainag View Post

tend to agree here. if choo plays 120 games a year over 3 years until you can replace what he does it is very valuable
                      The problem is much of what he adds offensively is offset by what he takes away in defense and roster flexibility. It's not that he has no value -- though that's essentially been the case two of the four seasons he's been here. It's that he doesn't bring nearly enough for what he's being paid, and that money could be allocated in a much better way.

Comment

Problem is that unless someone is desperate for pitching, Ross and Cashner have more value to the Rangers finishing out the year here. As for Napoli, I'd DFA him and eat the money. I've already cut ties with Lucroy.
                        First, how would pending free agents have any value finishing out the season with a losing team? That makes no sense.

Second, the Rangers traded Tanner Roark to the Nationals for Christian Guzman and sent the Cubs Kyle Hendricks for Ryan Dempster and C.J. Edwards for Matt Garza. Teams trade away good young prospects every year for incremental improvement at the deadline out of the exact motivation you just talked about: desperation. There's no better time to force an overpayment than at the deadline because teams have no external means to improve their teams but through trades. And if Cashner gets back on track and Ross finds some consistency, both could become attractive targets for fringe playoff teams with big holes in the back of their rotations.

Comment

• Only 1 of those you mentioned were on anybody's radar when they were traded and that's CJ Edwards who is a nice reliever for the Cubs now and not a TORP. You know, I could go out and buy a lottery ticket and leave a large heritage for my family, too. Yes, it could happen, but I wouldn't depend on a C prospect making it to the majors let alone being a contributor.

The reason I feel like Cashner and Ross should finish out the season is that the Rangers will need rotation guys next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by dannyboy8517 View Post

First, how would pending free agents have any value finishing out the season with a losing team? That makes no sense.

Second, the Rangers traded Tanner Roark to the Nationals for Christian Guzman and sent the Cubs Kyle Hendricks for Ryan Dempster and C.J. Edwards for Matt Garza. Teams trade away good young prospects every year for incremental improvement at the deadline out of the exact motivation you just talked about: desperation. There's no better time to force an overpayment than at the deadline because teams have no external means to improve their teams but through trades. And if Cashner gets back on track and Ross finds some consistency, both could become attractive targets for fringe playoff teams with big holes in the back of their rotations.
                            Totally agree with this.

Comment

Only 1 of those you mentioned were on anybody's radar when they were traded and that's CJ Edwards who is a nice reliever for the Cubs now and not a TORP. You know, I could go out and buy a lottery ticket and leave a large heritage for my family, too. Yes, it could happen, but I wouldn't depend on a C prospect making it to the majors let alone being a contributor.

The reason I feel like Cashner and Ross should finish out the season is that the Rangers will need rotation guys next year.
                              They will be a FA after the season, the Rangers can sign them if they want no matter what team they last played for.

Comment

They will be a FA after the season, the Rangers can sign them if they want no matter what team they last played for.
                                Yes, but rarely do traded players sign back with the team that traded them.

Comment

Working...
                                X