Bannister's use of the bullpen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dannyboy8517 View Post

Leclerc's season-long statistics don't mean much at the moment. He's not the same pitcher now he was before hitting the DL. Opponents were slashing .143/.234/.167 against him before the injury. Since, that line is .170/.333/.377. He's walked 12 guys in his last 14 innings. Ten of those have come against right-handed hitters.

With the control Leclerc's displayed lately, I'd much rather take my chances with Claudio in a one-run game, platoon splits be damned. Guys who can't throw strikes aren't reliable bets in the late innings of close games.
    we agree on this especially with a power pitcher coming in after sitting down and cooling off. they are not used to being used that way. banister overthinks stuff. he tries to fit nl tactics into al games.

Comment

• Originally posted by dannyboy8517 View Post

Leclerc's season-long statistics don't mean much at the moment. He's not the same pitcher now he was before hitting the DL. Opponents were slashing .143/.234/.167 against him before the injury. Since, that line is .170/.333/.377. He's walked 12 guys in his last 14 innings. Ten of those have come against right-handed hitters.

With the control Leclerc's displayed lately, I'd much rather take my chances with Claudio in a one-run game, platoon splits be damned. Guys who can't throw strikes aren't reliable bets in the late innings of close games.
      Imagine that. According to you, he's been really bad, and yet, he's still better than Claudio against RH batters.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doug View Post

Imagine that. According to you, he's been really bad, and yet, he's still better than Claudio against RH batters.
        Sixty-six percent of the batters Claudio's faced this year (124 of 188) have been right-handed. He has a 2.65 ERA and 1.048 WHIP for the season. Looking at his career, it's more of the same -- 342 of 525 plate appearances against right-handers (65.1 percent) with a 2.74 ERA and 1.184 WHIP.

We're talking about a guy here who hasn't had an ERA above 3 since he was 18-years-old in rookie ball. He doesn't need to be protected, particularly by a guy in Leclerc who struggles to throw strikes.

Claudio's overall numbers against righties aren't great, but as I said above that's not really a hindrance to his success. His ability to throw strikes, limit home runs and draw double-play grounders allows him to pitch around the odd hit here or there.

And I never once said Leclerc has been really bad. I said he hasn't been very good since returning from the DL. There's a difference. Really bad is what we saw from Sam Dyson this year. Not very good is a 4.30 ERA, 1.4 WHIP, 1.9 HR/9 and 7.7 BB/9. The latter has value the former doesn't, but I don't want either pitching in the ninth inning of one-run games.
        Last edited by dannyboy8517; 07-17-2017, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X