Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Offensively challenged

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Offensively challenged

    This team looks more and more like a team that's going to struggle offensively. When Beltre gets back that will help. I'm not sure of the strikeout numbers but it seems they strike out a lot in big situations. Up and down the lineup you have guys hitting way below their career marks..... Also have some that are trying to hit home runs every time up. Just frustrating you watch. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • #2
    Originally posted by pibrew View Post
    This team looks more and more like a team that's going to struggle offensively. When Beltre gets back that will help. I'm not sure of the strikeout numbers but it seems they strike out a lot in big situations. Up and down the lineup you have guys hitting way below their career marks..... Also have some that are trying to hit home runs every time up. Just frustrating you watch. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We are 13th (13th most) in strikeouts as a team. Last in Batting average. Well, bottom half in almost all offensive categories except for runs scored. It is frustrating and strange. I guess that is how you can go so many games where you dont win if you dont score 7 or more runs.

    Comment


    • #3
      Strikeouts, 5th worse in the league, only a couple from third worse. Walks, 5th worse. OBP fourth worse. All bottom third. Home runs 2nd best! Strange indeed!

      Comment


      • #4
        I think it's more of a team slump that could break at any time.

        Comment


        • #5
          I wrote in another thread, but Beltre will have a bigger impact than most think. Not only are you adding arguably the team's best bat back to the cleanup spot, you are forcing teams to throw to Mazara more, and relieving some of the pressure on Napoli. Currently, Napoli doesn't impose the same threat in the 4 hole and I believe it has a trickle down effect throughout the lineup.

          The strikeouts and walks were probably foreseeable with this lineup, the low batting average and OBP, not so much. Career guys are in a funk, but we have to remember we are only 16 games in at this point...

          Comment


          • #6
            It's a small sample size, but in 5 of their last 7 games, they've failed to up at least 5 runs. Hopefully, that's a blip on the radar and not a trend that will be indicative of the season.

            Comment


            • #7
              Hey, thanks guys! I knew someone on here would have this stuff. It just seems as though they tend to come up short in tight spots with a lot of strikeouts. I seem to think of two games that were close and we get guys on base and then the opposing pitcher strikes out the side??

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by pibrew View Post
                Hey, thanks guys! I knew someone on here would have this stuff. It just seems as though they tend to come up short in tight spots with a lot of strikeouts. I seem to think of two games that were close and we get guys on base and then the opposing pitcher strikes out the side??
                Yep. I was at the Sunday game against the A's. Now, we ended up winning 8-1 so no harm done. However, 3rd inning was painful to watch. I remember Gomez and Andrus eventually on 2nd and 3rd and no outs. The next 3 guys go down swinging. The details of the game and run producing will come up in a nasty way if they don't fix their approach, over the course of a season. You absolutely have to plate at least one of those guys. Sac fly, something on the ground to the right side, something...

                Again, they made out OK in that game, but a refocus on the smaller things in the crazy game of baseball would do wonders.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Rankings like these change on a daily basis this early in the season, but it's fun.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    the team really needs work on manufacturing runs. sometimes it is big to score another run or two in some games. The rangers are not good at it right now.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Flounder1 View Post
                      Strikeouts, 5th worse in the league, only a couple from third worse. Walks, 5th worse. OBP fourth worse. All bottom third. Home runs 2nd best! Strange indeed!
                      Very strange. Especially since people keep telling me Dyson is the only thing wrong with this team...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by RangerDude2016 View Post

                        Very strange. Especially since people keep telling me Dyson is the only thing wrong with this team...
                        When they are ranked high in runs scored, the starting pitching has been pretty good, and the current bullpen without Dyson has a collective 1.71 ERA, well.. yeah... pretty much Dyson was the main problem. The bottom line is runs scored, not how they scored them.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Putting runs up no matter how is fine for now, but when all your runs are scored on home runs, you run into obvious questions about sustainability. When you're last in batting average and among the worst in walks, that's a problem in the long run. And even that could be chalked up to bad luck if you're at least putting the ball in play, but they're striking out entirely too much for that to be a viable argument.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by RangerDude2016 View Post
                            Putting runs up no matter how is fine for now, but when all your runs are scored on home runs, you run into obvious questions about sustainability. When you're last in batting average and among the worst in walks, that's a problem in the long run. And even that could be chalked up to bad luck if you're at least putting the ball in play, but they're striking out entirely too much for that to be a viable argument.
                            And yet, they'll only be three games under .500 after today and will likely sit second in the division with a strong finish to the month. It's way too early to vehemently defend or deride our team and its ability to contend this year.
                            Last edited by dannyboy8517; 04-21-2017, 11:30 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              In 2015, the Rangers were 7 games under .500 during the first month of the season.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X