Panic Button

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panic Button

I know it is early but this team is listless. I have a bad feeling about this team and am worried. The Astros are actually good this season and ESPN has them ranked as the best team in the majors so far. They are more likely to get better than worse unless injuries derail them. They also have solid options on the farm. This might actually be a wake up call that it is time to rebuild.

IF the Rangers are able to beat the Astros the way they did last year then great. If not then expect a fire sale sooner rather than later. I am not complaining about the trades that were made when the team made the playoffs. You do that when you think you have a chance. I am concerned with how they will re-stock a weakened farm system.

My guess would be that Darvish and Lucroy would be traded. Gomez and Napoli too if they start hitting. Hamels might too. Give Beltre the option to be traded if he does not want to be on a rebuilding team. Trade Andrus while he has an OPS that is in the top 3 for his position. Hope that Choo actually starts hitting and then trade him and pay half his salary.

Hope that Cashner and Ross come back strong then ship them out.

Hope that Bush becomes a lights out closer and then trade him for close to what the Red Sox gave up for Kimbrel. (I know that is not going to happen but he is not even eligible for arbitration until 2020. That has some major value).

Play Jeffries as a closer then trade him.

Keep Mazara, Gallo, and Odor.

Play Profar, Chirinos, Robinson, and Rua a lot so you can see what you've got.

Keep Griffin and Perez unless overwhelmed because someone has to pitch.

Try out Kela at the closer spot with LeClerc playing a lot in the 7th or 8th.

I know I am overreacting but this team has not been fun to watch over the last week.

Holy moly. 15 games. 5 series, 3 of which were on the road. All without Beltre, mostly Cashner, and Ross. 4 blown saves aka easily attainable wins. This team will be fine. Slow starts from some hitters and we still lead the league in runs scored (did I mention without Beltre?). Take a deep breath. It's not even close to the end of April yet.

Comment

Look, if we were to be in poor shape at the deadline it would not go like that. We aren't completely giving up. Not with a new stadium and so much talent already.

Cashner, Ross, Gomez would be traded for whatever we can get. Darvish and Lucroy probably too but there's draft compensation the return must well exceed. Also the impact trading them would have on re-signing one or both. Darvish is still young enough that he should be top priority if we're rebuilding or not. Lucroy too. They're simply 2 of the best FA's and we have plenty room.

Choo probably makes sense to trade too......after those guys there's not much else

Hamels, Beltre and Nap should remain. You want those guys on your team when winning and ESPECIALLY when "retooling/rebuilding" with young guys. Perez and Andrus are young enough to be valuable pieces on future teams. Odor and Mazara are obviously the future. Probably Gallo too but he doesn't belong in a sentence with them.

The rest is more complicated because years of control means so much. For instance Profar and Rua have 2 and 3 years of control left, so their future could be in doubt if we were retooling and making moves for a "big rebuild trade" for an established player. Jeffress(2yr) and Diekman(1yr) are in the same boat........ On the other hand, Bush under team control for so long really makes him valuable to the future if he somehow becomes a long term closer answer. Leclerc and Claudio are both prearb. DeShields too. Dyson and Kela have 3 years

The future is already bright. Our salary situation is already flexible. Just like always we should continue to maximize value through FA/trade whatever. Same as we've been doing over the last 3-4 years all while still competing
      Last edited by Toby Harrah; 04-19-2017, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by saclare View Post
        Holy moly. 15 games. 5 series, 3 of which were on the road. All without Beltre, mostly Cashner, and Ross. 4 blown saves aka easily attainable wins. This team will be fine. Slow starts from some hitters and we still lead the league in runs scored (did I mention without Beltre?). Take a deep breath. It's not even close to the end of April yet.
        Great post.

Comment

They are copying and pasting the posts from April 2015, I think, and just updating them with new names and stuff. Remember, we were 7-14 at the end of April 2015 and Choo could not buy a hit, even with that huge contract. Everyone here but me, 3M and a few others were advocating a total tear-down of the team, even arranging for the trade of Beltre. The Rangers swept Houston and kept beating them all season long. Won the Division. Choo wound up about our best hitter that year.

This is Texas. Anything can happen, as observers of Texas weather can attest. You don't give up because of a drought. It will rain for sure as soon as you eat your last bite of seed corn.

BTW, in 2015 it took them the entire month of May to do no more than even their record. On July 12 they were back down to 42-46. They didn't have a winning record again until mid-August! Swept those danged Astros in four games in September, and won the Division.
          Last edited by Flounder1; 04-19-2017, 11:56 PM.

Comment

I don't think you even consider selling until June or July, but this team is playing bad baseball right now. And there are some big red flags in every phase of the game that suggest this team may not be as good as we'd hoped. Hopefully, this group, like the 2015 team, will rebound from its sluggish start. But they haven't given us a ton of reason for optimism yet.

Comment

This post was an overreaction but something does not feel right about this team. They need to get it fixed. Last year every close game I thought they would win. This year I feel like they are going to lose instead.

Comment

Originally posted by andymoteach View Post
                This post was an overreaction but something does not feel right about this team. They need to get it fixed. Last year every close game I thought they would win. This year I feel like they are going to lose instead.
                Fair enough. Wait until that league leading offense gets Beltre back into the cleanup spot. I agree there are some concerns for the pitching that are valid. However, I think Darvish and Hamels will be just fine. Perez took a step back yesterday, but is close to breaking out IMO. Cashner looked great, despite the result. And Griffin will be Griffin. If he can give the same effort as his last outing even half of the time, that's a big plus. I just want Ross' back to stop spazzing out so he can get his rehab starts in. I know the negatives have been well rehearsed on this board, and for good reason, but there's a lot to look forward to with these guys.

Comment

It's normal to have muscle spasms and other health issues coming back from surgery and extended rest. I think tonight's game will be looked back on as a turning point in the season. Ross will eventually contribute, Beltre will be back, and the team will be rewarded for carrying all this pitching depth. Ot's a long season and the Rangers had some bad luck starting out. Every month won't be like this one so far. Plus, plenty of April games left.

Comment

I'm looking forward to how Bass may help the bullpen. He had a great start, albeit in the minors. True on Ross, as long as it isn't the shoulder! (or elbow for that matter)

Comment

I'm looking forward to how Bass may help the bullpen. He had a great start, albeit in the minors. True on Ross, as long as it isn't the shoulder! (or elbow for that matter)
                      He won't, apparently.

Comment

Yep, he helped a whole bunch. Same old crummy Bass we saw before. Need to send him back to Japan. This team is definitely in trouble. Now no hit Rua is the everyday left fielder.

Comment

At this point I'm hoping the Rangers can escape April with a .500 record. That'd be a small victory considering all of the blown saves and shockingly sub-Mendoza lineup.
                          Sixty percent of the time, I'm right every time.

Comment

Originally posted by Redcap View Post

Yep, he helped a whole bunch. Same old crummy Bass we saw before. Need to send him back to Japan. This team is definitely in trouble. Now no hit Rua is the everyday left fielder.
                            That Japanese stuff wasn;'t working was it? Brocail came out to the mound and shared a few tips and tricks with him, though, and he straightened right up after that and pitched pretty good. I was shocked just now to discover rainag wasn't online complimenting Brocail on getting Bass right. Just the other day rainag said if he ever sees Brocail help someone fix a problem he'd compliment him. Yet, there it was in plain view for everyone to see, Brocail fixing a pitcher's problems on the fly, and rainag didn't start three threads about it like when he imagines Banister or Brocail messed up. Go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by Flounder1 View Post

That Japanese stuff wasn;'t working was it? Brocail came out to the mound and shared a few tips and tricks with him, though, and he straightened right up after that and pitched pretty good. I was shocked just now to discover rainag wasn't online complimenting Brocail on getting Bass right. Just the other day rainag said if he ever sees Brocail help someone fix a problem he'd compliment him. Yet, there it was in plain view for everyone to see, Brocail fixing a pitcher's problems on the fly, and rainag didn't start three threads about it like when he imagines Banister or Brocail messed up. Go figure.
                              stop being an ahole

Comment

Working...
                              X