New broadcast team

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New broadcast team

I like CJ, for sure. He knows of what he speaks. Doubles a as a very bright saber-aware analyst and a jock guy who's been there, and had a really wide range of experience. The story about being an extra in "42" was great. Plus, he's got a mean strange faraway look in his eye, kind of like a way more intense josh Lewin.

Dave Raymond. Is very likeable, sounds good, a big upgrade over Busby. Problem: he doesn't love this game it seems and not that familiar with this franchise. Exhibit A, granted this was the first game or two, Elvis makes an error and he says something about how peculiar or rare it is for Elvis to misplay a ball. mKay. Definitely rare if you don't watch any Rangers games. Exhibit B, CJ says, number 2 on the franchise list of HR rate against our franchise is Mickey Mantle. It's brought up in comparison to #1, the amazing Khrush Davis, and CJ didn't say anything about how obv Mantle never played vs Texas, they were all against the Wash Senators. CJ literally says Mantle hit this many HRs "against the Rangers" twice in two phrases. Long pregnant pause. Not a word from Raymond in light-heartedly mentioning that Mick, whose last year was 1968, last played four years before the Rangers' inaugural season. It's just the kind of thing you say if you're the play by play man. "Of course Mantle never played vs Texas." But no. Man that was weird.

The Texidor Tornado

Well... the Senators he's talking about became the Rangers later. It's the same franchise, with a name change to "Rangers" when they moved to Arlington. So, he may be correct that Mantle had the second best home run rate against the Rangers franchise. Look at BR where they treat those Washington Senators and Rangers as the same franchise. Those Senators were the new Senators that started in 1961 as an expansion team. The old Senators that were one of the original franchises are now the Twins. It was probably not the best way for them to explain it, but it's not all that silly when talking about a "franchise" record. "Against the Rangers franchise" would be better way to say it than "against the Texas Rangers." If someone were to chime in, they could say "when the Rangers were playing as the Senators in DC."

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/TEX/

Comment

Originally posted by Flounder1 View Post
      Well... the Senators he's talking about became the Rangers later. It's the same franchise, with a name change to "Rangers" when they moved to Arlington. So, he may be correct that Mantle had the second best home run rate against the Rangers franchise. Look at BR where they treat those Washington Senators and Rangers as the same franchise. Those Senators were the new Senators that started in 1961 as an expansion team. The old Senators that were one of the original franchises are now the Twins. It was probably not the best way for them to explain it, but it's not all that silly when talking about a "franchise" record. "Against the Rangers franchise" would be better way to say it than "against the Texas Rangers." If someone were to chime in, they could say "when the Rangers were playing as the Senators in DC."

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/TEX/
      Right. A couple words like this for those at home who dont know, or perhaps a "isnt that crazy" for us who do know that would have been helpful from Raymond and less awkward and basically more clear.

I wonder if Harry Wright and Al Spalding ever did the tomahawk chop?
      The Texidor Tornado

Comment

I really like CJ. Jury out on raymond but so far he is ok.

Comment

Originally posted by rainag View Post
          I really like CJ. Jury out on raymond but so far he is ok.
          I was never a fan of Busby, so Raymond's an upgrade over him IMO. And Nitkowski is knowledgeable, though he probably does talk a little too much. I don't mind this team, and I'm sure they'll improve as they gain a more intimate knowledge of the players and organization. But no one will ever top the old Lewin-Grieve days. That was a massive unforced error by Nolan Ryan.

Comment

Working...
          X