continue to be baffled by banisters use of the bullpen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dannyboy8517 View Post
    I was thinking about my post the other night about Ron Washington and wondering if I was suffering from good ol' day syndrome. After looking at the stats, I was not. With one notable exception (2008) our bullpens were considerably more successful under Wash than they've been under Banister. And I would argue that, from a pure talent standpoint, Banister has had every bit as much to work with, particularly the past two years.

Year Bullpen ERA
    2007 (start of Washington era) 3.71
    2008 5.15
    2009 3.95
    2010 3.38
    2011 4.11
    2012 3.42
    2013 2.91
    2014 4.02
    2015 (start of Banister era) 4.12
    2016 4.40
    2017 5.89 (small sample size)
    Or Mike Maddux (20092015)?

Comment

Evan Grant @Evan_P_Grant
      Anthony Bass purchased; Mike Hauschild DFA.

Texas Rangers designate Mike Hauschild for assignment

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...udeU9cxZf5jZN/

Comment

Or Andy Hawkins who was the bullpen pitching coach.

Comment

Originally posted by mingjungtc View Post

Or Mike Maddux (20092015)?
          Maddux and Hawkins had an impact, no doubt. But Banister's bullpen usage patterns are unlike anything used before him in Texas. I'm sure there's a method to his madness, but I'm not a fan at all of what seems more like overmanaging than anything. And thus far the results are not at all in his favor.
          Last edited by dannyboy8517; 04-20-2017, 07:42 PM.

Comment

I've given Dario Alvarez a lot of grief this year, but he did a great job tonight. The entire bullpen did. Hopefully this will be the spark that group needs to start pitching the way its capable of pitching. There's too much talent out there to be as bad as they've been to start the season.

Comment

Dario has looked good before. He has let the ball get up a few times and paid big for it, but he's also shown he can pitch.

I was expecting more compliments for Brocail, Banister and the bullpen. I thought rainag promised to give them credit when they did good. Seven inning of shutout pitching isn't enough? Man, Banister really used his bullpen just right

Where are all the bullpen boo birds? In hiding?

Comment

They had a couple of ways to improve the bullpen. They could get the pitchers they had to pitch bettter or replace them with better pitchers.

The relief pitchers used this season have a combined 5.13 ERA.

The relief pitchers we now have have on this team have combined for a 1.71 ERA so far.

How good is a relief ERA of 1.71? Well, right now it would rank second in the AL behind only the Yankees. It's wonderful.

We don't have much of a read on what Bass will do this season, but he was pitching quite well in the minors before he was called up. He also had much better results for the Rangers in the past than Hauschild did in his few innings this year. We do have a read on how good Kela is, and he's good.

Right now I think those six relief pitchers who shut down the Royals for seven innings last night is a pretty awesome group of relief pitchers.

It's not that Dyson is a terrible pitcher. He was a hero for the Rangers all last year. He just came down with that contusion or something. And Hauschild? Well... you can see he has some talent but it didn't surface enough in those eight IP. That's not a lot of IP to make a judgement, but in the majors you have to win all the time and there's no room to carry a guy like that. Sometimes there's nothing a manager or bullpen coach can do about stuff, but you can make changes if nothing is working out, and I think replacing them with Bass and Kela is a great move. I also think the organization has some other strengths that will make sure we have a good pitching staff.

Comment

I'm hoping Hamels shows what he can do and go at least 7 IP tonight to help out the bullpen. I'm not opposed to seeing a complete game shutout...

Comment

Originally posted by Flounder1 View Post
                    Dario has looked good before. He has let the ball get up a few times and paid big for it, but he's also shown he can pitch.

I was expecting more compliments for Brocail, Banister and the bullpen. I thought rainag promised to give them credit when they did good. Seven inning of shutout pitching isn't enough? Man, Banister really used his bullpen just right

Where are all the bullpen boo birds? In hiding?
                    maybe you were sitting by your keyboard waiting for the game to end so you could post this? some of us have other things to do. Brocail needs to show he can get his studs pitching like studs before he gets any credit. As far as the bullpen goes most of that can be attributed to a misuse of the bullpen. Dont know whether banister is to blame or brocail. you can lay that wherever you think it fits. There are some good pitchers in that bullpen. It can carry them if they solidify the roles there. They really need to get martin to pitch backwards more. Throw his changeup early and finish with the fastball. He also needs to pitch inside much like Yu. Too many hitters diving across the plate to reach outside pitches. Hitters need to pay a price for that.

Comment

Originally posted by saclare View Post
                      I'm hoping Hamels shows what he can do and go at least 7 IP tonight to help out the bullpen. I'm not opposed to seeing a complete game shutout...
                      It would be nice if they all went deeper into games, for sure. Great to see rainag didn't disappoint us by changing his tune. Same old boo bird, same old song.

Comment

why would I change my tune over one game? sometimes you dont make any sense flounder. lets get some results. he still hasnt fixed martin who pitches terribly on the road. That has to be a mental fix. He still hasnt gotten hamels fixed since last year. If he gets dyson back on track then he gets some credit. when he accomplishes something I will give him credit. Until then he is just a guy

Comment

Those seven innings of shutout ball were 13% of the innings the bullpen has pitched this year. That's a pretty significant chunk. I think it means they are turning the corner in a big way.

How are you going to get Dyson back on track? The dude has a contusion. Let that heal first. What, you think Brocail is Marcus Welby, MD, or something? You just expect too much out of these coaches, maybe.

Comment

Those seven innings of shutout ball were 13% of the innings the bullpen has pitched this year. That's a pretty significant chunk. I think it means they are turning the corner in a big way.

How are you going to get Dyson back on track? The dude has a contusion. Let that heal first. What, you think Brocail is Marcus Welby, MD, or something? You just expect too much out of these coaches, maybe.
                            One thing I liked about last night's game is that, with the exception of Claudio, every reliever was given at least one full inning of work. Pitchers were allowed to do their jobs as opposed to being yanked at the first sign of trouble or replaced mid-inning by a lesser pitcher of opposite handedness. Last night's bullpen usage is what I'd like to see every game. You shouldn't need two or three relievers to get through an inning. It's a waste of resources and keeps pitchers from ever getting comfortable, both in particular games and with their roles in general.

Comment

please flounder. Dyson has a head contusion. He has no effin idea where his pitches are going. The hand was just an excuse to put him down for awhile to save the embarassment of demotion.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy8517 View Post

One thing I liked about last night's game is that, with the exception of Claudio, every reliever was given at least one full inning of work. Pitchers were allowed to do their jobs as opposed to being yanked at the first sign of trouble or replaced mid-inning by a lesser pitcher of opposite handedness. Last night's bullpen usage is what I'd like to see every game. You shouldn't need two or three relievers to get through an inning. It's a waste of resources and keeps pitchers from ever getting comfortable, both in particular games and with their roles in general.
                                not jefress. seems he and claudio are now one batter pitchers used in tandem. Those two guys are better than that. at least they should be available tonight.

Comment

Working...
                                X