Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The heck with the next TORP, who is our next closer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The heck with the next TORP, who is our next closer?

I hope Bush, sooner rather than later.

I don't think the bullpen will be this bad the entire season. It's already showing signs of getting better. I don't know what happened to Dyson, but it looks like they are gong to go with a closer by committee for awhile until they can sort out the roles. Dyson may even get back on track. Who knows? We have lots of options to try, including some extra starting pitchers who might make good relievers. You never know. They sorted out things last season. Brocail and JD know how to tweak bullpens on the fly. The bullpen will be a plus before long. Leclerc, Claudio, Barnette and Bush have all been OK, with Bush having a little trouble in spots. Jeffress and Dyson have been disappointing, but it's early. It's just way too early to be condemning the bullpen. You can't judge the entire bullpen by what happened to Dyson in those three losses. He probably feels worse about it than anyone.

Comment

This bullpen was in trouble the second they lost Diekmann and thought they'd be ok replacing him with Hauschild. Then they find out they have a cancer in Kela. Dyson must be hurt and Bush may be as well. This team is in real big trouble if they don't shape up right now. April is supposed to be one of their easiest scheduled months and they're sucking it up out there.

Comment

I agree, Flounder. There is some talent out in the pen. It may take a few more weeks to sort it all out, and people fall into roles, but I think there are enough good arms available to round into form. You also have Kela, Scheppers, Bass, and a few others that could end up in the mix as well. I know many don't like the dreaded closer by committee, but I like it at times. Go with the hot hand and if some guy is getting outs don't pull him just because XXX is your 8th inning guy.

Comment

Originally posted by RangerDude2016 View Post
          This bullpen was in trouble the second they lost Diekmann and thought they'd be ok replacing him with Hauschild. Then they find out they have a cancer in Kela. Dyson must be hurt and Bush may be as well. This team is in real big trouble if they don't shape up right now. April is supposed to be one of their easiest scheduled months and they're sucking it up out there.
          dude even when I agree with you your incessant whining and doom and gloom is so over the top. Is it a bit or do you live your life this way?

Comment

Scheppers and Kela will end up pitching their way into helping this team stabilize. We are close to needing both right now. Kela will apologize and he'll be given the opportunity to improve his standing with his teammates. At least that's what I'm writing in my upcoming article.

Comment

Originally posted by rainag View Post

dude even when I agree with you your incessant whining and doom and gloom is so over the top. Is it a bit or do you live your life this way?
              Did they not lose Diekmann and essentially replace him with Hauschild? Is the bullpen not in trouble? Is April not arguably their easiest scheduled month? Are they not sucking it up out there? You say I'm being "over the top", but that implies some degree of exaggeration. I'm not sure what you believe I'm exaggerating about.

I don't believe in trying to convince myself something is ok when it isn't. If something sucks, I'll tell you it sucks. That's how I live my life.

Comment

Did they not lose Diekmann and essentially replace him with Hauschild? Is the bullpen not in trouble? Is April not arguably their easiest scheduled month? Are they not sucking it up out there? You say I'm being "over the top", but that implies some degree of exaggeration. I'm not sure what you believe I'm exaggerating about.

I don't believe in trying to convince myself something is ok when it isn't. If something sucks, I'll tell you it sucks. That's how I live my life.
                I'd say they replaced Diekman with Alvarez. As a Rule-5 pick, Hauschild was going to make the team with or without Diekman. Alvarez sucks, so your point stands in that regard, but I don't think the pen's in as much trouble as you do. Dyson and Jeffress will right the ship at some point. It's just a matter of time. With Barnette and Claudio holding down their roles and Leclerc's emergence as a viable late-inning option, things should be fine once Bush returns.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy8517 View Post

I'd say they replaced Diekman with Alvarez. As a Rule-5 pick, Hauschild was going to make the team with or without Diekman. Alvarez sucks, so your point stands in that regard, but I don't think the pen's in as much trouble as you do. Dyson and Jeffress will right the ship at some point. It's just a matter of time. With Barnette and Claudio holding down their roles and Leclerc's emergence as a viable late-inning option, things should be fine once Bush returns.
                  I think Jeffress will be ok. I'm nervous that he wasn't nearly as effective as he should have been against minor leaguers and then, when the season started, he still hasn't been very effective. But I have no reason to believe that there's anything physically wrong with him. I believe Dyson is hurt. I can't think of any other way a pitcher like him suddenly loses all command or why a ground-ball pitcher suddenly can't keep the ball in the ball park. We'll know tomorrow whether or not Bush is hurt. I'm always nervous about shoulder injuries, but I'm even more worried about the fact that he struggled with the same condition numerous times last season. Makes it seem they keep putting a bandaid on a problem which may eventually require major surgery.
                  Last edited by RangerDude2016; 04-13-2017, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by texassooner1 View Post
                    At least that's what I'm writing in my upcoming article.
                    Good one! Agree on both guys, Kela and Scheppers are capable of closing and should be solid bullpen pieces at a minimum. It looks like both are fairly close, though we don't know the whole story with Kela.

Comment

Your posting sucks. When you post that everything sucks it becomes cartoonish and you hit that point months ago.

Comment

Sorry. I meant to say, "I like Teckas. Da Rangerz R gud." Does that facilitate better conversation? You can disagree with my tone all you want. But if you're going to respond, at least touch on the points raised. We come here to discuss baseball, we don't come here to discuss me.

Comment

The trouble in the bullpen is all about Sam Dyson. Take away his three absolutely horrendous outings and the Rangers are 7-2. Sure, they need to get some players back and get some good news for the long term, but don't make the issue into something it isn't. When your closer has an era above 30 and he has blown three easy games, you don't have to look any further.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug View Post

The trouble in the bullpen is all about Sam Dyson. Take away his three absolutely horrendous outings and the Rangers are 7-2. Sure, they need to get some players back and get some good news for the long term, but don't make the issue into something it isn't. When your closer has an era above 30 and he has blown three easy games, you don't have to look any further.
                            I'd add Dario Alvarez to that list, but I agree with your main point. Those are the only two guys in our pen that have really been bad. Everyone else has been OK or better. Even Jeffress, whose numbers aren't great, looks worse than he's actually been because of the damage Alvarez did behind him. Remove the disastrous efforts of those two guys, and every game this season's been competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug View Post

To amplify your point, the bullpen minus Dyson had a collective 2.31 ERA before today's game. Not bad at all. That will win a lot of ballgames! They haven't included Hauschild's numbers today in the figures, yet. He's a work in progress. It will get better. Lots of good arms in reserve, and we'll get this closer issue settled soon.
                              Last edited by Flounder1; 04-13-2017, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X